Ripe Banana's.......What to do with them?

Options

Replies

• heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Freeze them for muffins, bread, etc - terrific ideas! If you don't want to eat them, you can bury them under your rosees (if you have them) and the potassium will boost the bloom production. 1 banana per rose, every 2-3 months is best.

Ooh, the rose suggestion is cool! :) Wonder if that works for all flowers...
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    banana oats n whey. DUH ;)
  • Suzanne106
    Suzanne106 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Banana bread. Banana muffins
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Freeze them for muffins, bread, etc - terrific ideas! If you don't want to eat them, you can bury them under your rosees (if you have them) and the potassium will boost the bloom production. 1 banana per rose, every 2-3 months is best.

I was going to say toss them in the compost :laugh:
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Mash them up and eat them with oatmeal and a little peanut butter!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Oh... so many wonderful choices. I like to make banana pancakes!

3 ripe bananas mashed
    1 1/2 cup of self-rising flour
    1/2 cup of Splenda
    1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon banana flavoring

150 cals a pancake. No extras needed. I actually just recently tried them with the protein powder. Without it, they are even less in calories.
  • theotherbabs08
    Options
    Now I regret all the just-this-side-of-too-ripe bananas I have ever thrown away! I'm loving all these ideas.
  • meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    banana muffins
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I peel them, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. Then, eat them frozen as a sweet treat.
  • fixeruppper
    fixeruppper Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Just made your home made chocolate bar recipe and it's absolutely incredible. I think you could also use this recipe for a sugar free/fat free icing. Thanks for posting this amazing recipe.
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    bump
  • thegirl68
    thegirl68 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    here is our favorite ripe banana recipe:
    WW Banana-Cinnamon Pancakes
    2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    A sprinkle of nutmeg
    1 egg
    3 tablespoons canola oil
    2 cups low-fat buttermilk
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    1 large banana, mashed (or really as many overripe banana's as you have- I've used 3 and it works great!)
    Cooking spray for pan

Preparation:
    Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix wet ingredients together in a smaller bowl. Then, just dump the two together & stir it up. Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat, coat it in cooking spray, and spoon a few dollops of the batter onto the pan. Cook on both sides until golden brown. Then coat with jam, maple syrup, or your favorite pancake topping & enjoy!

To save for later: When the pancakes are cool, put'em in a baggie and freeze them. Reheat by popping in the toaster (same way you would with a frozen waffle or nuke'em in the microwave then top with jam, maple syrup, or your favorite pancake topping & enjoy!

My kids really like them with peanut butter & honey too!
  • Shauniie28
    Options
    You can always make banana bread being that it is the holiday season, you can also add them to a smootie or freeze then and then add them to a smootie.
  • Iheartsushi
    Iheartsushi Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yep! Ripe bananas always turn into banana pancakes in my house!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I put mine in my oatmeal all smooshed up and add some Hershey's Cocoa powder!!! Yummmmmmmyyyyy!!!

I will definitely try the chocolate candy bar recipe!! Sounds like trouble! = D
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Tried this recipe this weekend and LOVED it:

3 bananas
    2 cups rolled oats
    1 cup dried pineapple
    1/3 cup vegetable oil
    1 tsp vanilla

Mash bananas. Add in rolled oats, dried pineapple, vegetable oil and vanilla and mix together. Drop balls of batter on cookie sheet (12-24 cookies depending on your preference of size) and let sit for 15 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.

We also added some shredded coconut to the mixture.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    every idea so far has my mouth watering!

My go to's are:
    ice cream (from first post)
    pancakes
    with oats/whey/pb
    pumpkin/banana loaf
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Just made your home made chocolate bar recipe and it's absolutely incredible. I think you could also use this recipe for a sugar free/fat free icing. Thanks for posting this amazing recipe.

Glad you liked it. I have used it to coat healthy cake balls too. I wonder how it would hold up as frosting...?