I Have a Sugar Craving and Need HELPPPPP!

Options
carrierella
carrierella Posts: 109 Member
What kinds of things do some of you do (outside of fruit) to satisfy a sweet tooth that is LONGING for cake, cookies, ice cream, etc...

Anyone have help? It's moments like this that make me come close to (or actually) fall off the "diet wagon". :ohwell:

Replies

• carrierella
    Options
    What kinds of things do some of you do (outside of fruit) to satisfy a sweet tooth that is LONGING for cake, cookies, ice cream, etc...

Anyone have help? It's moments like this that make me come close to (or actually) fall off the "diet wagon". :ohwell:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    eat them. in small portions. then exercise to make up for it.

if you try to deny yourself, you'll really fall off the wagon. until you can regard this as a lifestyle change, instead of a diet, it won't last (this goes for us all, not just you of course):flowerforyou:
  • cellorocker
    cellorocker Posts: 290
    Options
    I agree with Lucky, it's a lifestyle change. When I want to eat something sweet, I have a little of it.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I drink my chocolate protein shake- or Eat a Balance protein bar Cookie Dough- its good and not gonna effect my scale either- Or my calorie consumption
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    Okay wait 15 minutes and if you still want something sweet- Go for some fat free sugar free pudding its low in calories and it won't mess up your calories for the day as long as you don't go crazy.

Besides if your tempted to fall off the wagon for some sweets already think about if you go and eat ice cream which a serving of ice cream is like just a 1/2 a cup (Not a Bowl) for 120-150 something calories which isn't a lot for that many calories at all or you have a slice of cake which is like 200 or so depending on the kind of cake and how big of a slice it is- And you eat this then log it and you see that you went over or your left with a little bit of calories for dinner- Then your possibly gonna get upset and consider falling off the bandwagon-

You can still fix a sweet tooth without eating crap food- For times you want icecream go buy yogurt and put it in the freezer so when you get a fix you will have frozen yogurt or make Crystal Light Popsicles- You can get sweet fix for way less calories with those 2 ideas-
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    whatever you do, understand that you will stick to the plan longer if you are doing things that you will not mind doing for the rest of your life.

what I mean is, some folks replace all their foods with sugar free/fat free/reduced calorie/etc. "diet" foods. If you are fine with eating that way for the rest of your life, then that is a sustainable life change. it will have benefits as long as you maintain it.

I know that won't work for me. so I try to avoid having really high calorie foods most of the time, so that when it is my anniversary, I can have a slice of real cheesecake, because I know I'll be ready to work it back off the next day. That is sustainable for me. I also teach myself how and when to decide what to eat. If I am going out to a restaurant, I'll do some homework before I go so that I know what temptations are there, and what good choices are on the menu. If I wait to decide until I am already there, I'll be hungrier, and less likely to make the wiser choice.

you gotta find a lifestyle and foods to fit into your lifestyle that you can stick with. or else this will be another "diet" which will eventually come to an end.
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    whatever you do, understand that you will stick to the plan longer if you are doing things that you will not mind doing for the rest of your life.

what I mean is, some folks replace all their foods with sugar free/fat free/reduced calorie/etc. "diet" foods. If you are fine with eating that way for the rest of your life, then that is a sustainable life change. it will have benefits as long as you maintain it.

I know that won't work for me. so I try to avoid having really high calorie foods most of the time, so that when it is my anniversary, I can have a slice of real cheesecake, because I know I'll be ready to work it back off the next day. That is sustainable for me. I also teach myself how and when to decide what to eat. If I am going out to a restaurant, I'll do some homework before I go so that I know what temptations are there, and what good choices are on the menu. If I wait to decide until I am already there, I'll be hungrier, and less likely to make the wiser choice.

you gotta find a lifestyle and foods to fit into your lifestyle that you can stick with. or else this will be another "diet" which will eventually come to an end.

I have to commend you seriously for eating cheesecake- I look at foods differently not just how many calories they have but what I have to do at the gym and how long I have to do it for to burn it off lol--

I love cheesecake too but when I found out it was 500 calories for a little slice I was like OH Hell No--:noway:
  • mrsyac2
    Options

Good point- I was just giving ideas and examples- I get my sweet fixes from my protein shake and protein bar and I eat so many times a day i don't get hit with that sweet urge anymore- I also chew sugar free gum too-
  • mkatzb3
    mkatzb3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Try baking from this website: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=60652
    I found recipes with nutrition facts too so I know exactly how much I'm consuming!
    Good Luck!
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    I see this all the time and do not understand... why do you people eat fat free sugar free pudding? It's just a bunch of synthetic crap that does nothing beneficial for you...

Ingredients in Jello Fat Free Sugar Free Instant Pudding:
    MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, MALTODEXTRIN (FROM CORN), TETRASODIUM PYROPHOSPHATE AND DISODIUM PHOSPHATE (FOR THICKENING), CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF SKIM MILK, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, SALT, CALCIUM SULFATE, XANTHAN GUM (FOR SMOOTH TEXTURE), MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES (PREVENT FOAMING), ASPARTAME AND ACESULFAME POTASSIUM (SWEETENERS), YELLOW 6, YELLOW 5, ARTIFICIAL COLOR.

Give yourself a bite or three of something that tastes delicious and isn't made from chemical compounds and artificial flavors. Try a dark chocolate truffle from Lindor. Enjoy the sugar and enjoy the fat if it comes from natural sources - just do it in moderation.

Like someone else stated, this is a lifestyle change and not a diet.
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    I see this all the time and do not understand... why do you people eat fat free sugar free pudding? It's just a bunch of synthetic crap that does nothing beneficial for you...

MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, MALTODEXTRIN (FROM CORN), TETRASODIUM PYROPHOSPHATE AND DISODIUM PHOSPHATE (FOR THICKENING), CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF SKIM MILK, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, SALT, CALCIUM SULFATE, XANTHAN GUM (FOR SMOOTH TEXTURE), MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES (PREVENT FOAMING), ASPARTAME AND ACESULFAME POTASSIUM (SWEETENERS), YELLOW 6, YELLOW 5, ARTIFICIAL COLOR.

Give yourself a bite or three of something that tastes delicious and isn't made from chemical compounds and artificial flavors. Try a dark chocolate truffle from Lindor. Enjoy the sugar and enjoy the fat if it comes from natural sources - just do it in moderation.

I was just giving an example some people choose to eat the fat free sugar free stuff just like some people eat fast food- If thats what they choose-

Some people just don't eat either- whether its real or fake-

But if you don't understand why people eat fat free sugar free foods then do you also not understand why people eat packaged foods either cause that is processed junk as well.

If people don't eat fat free sugar free then they need to stick to shopping the outside aisles of the grocery store aisles because the foods down the lanes are packed with crap as well-
  • charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I looooooooove Tootsie Pops! 60 cals and a ton of sugar which is sure to get you over your sugar limit for the day (unfortunately) but it does take care of the candy craving. If it's chocolate craving I have Jello chocolate pudding. I also LOVE Berry Pearadise gum by Extra!
  • MisoSoup79
    Options

I was just giving an example some people choose to eat the fat free sugar free stuff just like some people eat fast food- If thats what they choose-

But if you don't understand why people eat fat free sugar free foods then do you also not understand why people eat packaged foods either cause that is processed junk as well.

If people don't eat fat free sugar free then they need to stick to shopping the outside aisles of the grocery store aisles because the foods down the lanes are packed with crap as well-
    Sorry... I wasn't trying to attack you or anything, but my comment on the pudding was the result of seeing it on these boards a thousand times! Nothing personal. Sorry if it came off that way

You are correct in saying that everything in the middle of the grocery store is prepackaged food. And a LOT of that prepackaged food is just crap. However, some of that prepackaged stuff has a lot less "junk" and chemicals than others.

My point is, whatever you decide to eat, please make sure you look at the label for the ingredients, and not just the calorie content. Some processed foods are more redeeming than others. If I have to make a choice between a high calorie food that is full of natural whole ingredients vs. a super low calorie food with nothing of nutritional value and a lot of chemicals, I'm going to reach for the high calorie option and just eat a small portion of it.

I just put that out there, because there are people who don't look at the ingredients. Some of them assume that if it's fat free and sugar free, it must be a great alternative to real food... but that's just not necessarily the case.
  • mrsyac2
    Options

Sorry... I wasn't trying to attack you or anything, but my comment on the pudding was the result of seeing it on these boards a thousand times! Nothing personal. Sorry if it came off that way

You are correct in saying that everything in the middle of the grocery store is prepackaged food. And a LOT of that prepackaged food is just crap. However, some of that prepackaged stuff has a lot less "junk" and chemicals than others.

My point is, whatever you decide to eat, please make sure you look at the label for the ingredients, and not just the calorie content. Some processed foods are more redeeming than others. If I have to make a choice between a high calorie food that is full of natural whole ingredients vs. a super low calorie food with nothing of nutritional value and a lot of chemicals, I'm going to reach for the high calorie option and just eat a small portion of it.

I just put that out there, because there are people who don't look at the ingredients. Some of them assume that if it's fat free and sugar free, it must be a great alternative to real food... but that's just not necessarily the case.

Your right just because it says it doesn't mean its good or true- But alot of stuff is processed with chemicals and crap- So if someone will eat something prepackaged then why not have something that says fat free or sugar free- -

I base all this off of the posts I see of people ranting others for eating fat free sugar free products and I am so curious to ask them do they just shop on the outside of the aisles in the grocery store--
  • ildi007
    ildi007 Posts: 107
    Options
    An upside down cake recipe for you: very easy; it takes about 10 minutes to put it together!!

Cherries have a natural affinity with almonds; here they unite in a delicious upside-down cake.
    RECIPE INGREDIENTS
    For Topping:
    3 1/2 cups tart cherries (about 1 1/4 pounds), pitted
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 tablespoons kirsch or brandy (imitation is fine)
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    For Cake:
    2/3 cup sifted cake flour
    1/2 cup whole unblanched almonds (3 ounces), toasted (see Tip)
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 large egg whites
    2/3 cup sugar, divided
    2 large eggs
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Tip: : To toast whole nuts: Spread nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.

EatingWell Free Trial Issue!

DIRECTIONS
    To make topping: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch cake pan with cooking spray. Toss cherries with sugar, kirsch (or brandy) and cornstarch in a medium bowl. Spoon into the prepared pan, arranging the cherries in a single layer; set aside.

To make cake: Combine flour, almonds, baking powder and salt in a food processor or blender; process until the almonds are ground to a fine meal.

Beat egg whites in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1/3 cup sugar, continuing until stiff and glossy. Beat whole eggs and the remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a separate mixing bowl with an electric mixer until thickened and pale, about 5 minutes. Blend in vanilla.

Whisk one-quarter of the beaten egg whites into the whole-egg mixture. Sprinkle half of the flour mixture over the top and fold with a rubber spatula until just blended. Fold in the remaining beaten whites, then the remaining flour mixture.

Spread the batter over the cherries in the prepared pan and bake until the top springs back when touched lightly and a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then invert onto a cake plate. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Recipe reprinted by permission of © EatingWell Magazine. All rights reserved.
    Date Added: 03/01/2009

Nutrition Facts per Serving
    Yield: 10 servings
    Calories: 177
    Fat. Total: 4g
    Protein: 4g

Carbohydrates, Total: 30g
    Fat, Saturated: 1g
    Fiber: 1g

Cholesterol: 42mg
    Sodium: 147mg
    % Cal. from Fat: 20%
  • MisoSoup79
    Options

Your right just because it says it doesn't mean its good or true- But alot of stuff is processed with chemicals and crap- So if someone will eat something prepackaged then why not have something that says fat free or sugar free- -

I base all this off of the posts I see of people ranting others for eating fat free sugar free products and I am so curious to ask them do they just shop on the outside of the aisles in the grocery store--

I'd love to stay on the periphery of the grocery store, but ... I do buy packaged stuff... like Quaker Quick Oats. Sure, the steel cut is better for me, but the only thing in my box of oats is 100% oats. And for me, spending less than five minutes preparing breakfast is better than spending half an hour cooking on the stove. I'd love to make my whole grain pasta from scratch, but who has the time for that? So I choose a pasta that has ingredients I can recognize as foods (although most are fortified with vitamins, too). I buy prepackaged rice blends that are 100% rice, but they happen to be in the same aisle as the Rice a Roni and Uncle Bens... I also buy frozen veggies - do those count? They are prepackaged, but they are whole vegetables with nothing added.

I'm only suggesting that whenever buying anything that comes in a package, look at the ingredients to make sure you're really eating food and not lab-processed junk. :flowerforyou:
  • ildi007
    ildi007 Posts: 107
    Options
    If you need chocolate, try Hershey Sticks. They are only 60 calorie each, individually wrapped (so you don't end up with your hands stick in a bag, like me, when I open a Costco size of something I love too much!) LOL
    My newest trick is to bag things: 10 almonds (70 cal) ,or 8 dried apricots (102 cal). It's easier to log your calories, and easier to stop eating it. I also bought some Dreyer's Dibs, the kind in small bags: 100 cal each and I get to nibble!
    I do bake much more lately, as I want to avoid the fat free-sugar free junk (yeah, I read the labels too). Some really great websites are hungygirl.com and cooking.com. I froze things in zipp-locks and create "my meals" by servings I packaged. For example, I bake mini muffins and I froze 2 for mid-morning carb cravings, I eat them with herbal tea to make it more filling....
    I Googled "egg substitute" and realized it's easy (and still healthy) to replace eggs in some recipes.

Good luck!
  • mrsyac2
    Options

I'd love to stay on the periphery of the grocery store, but ... I do buy packaged stuff... like Quaker Quick Oats. Sure, the steel cut is better for me, but the only thing in my box of oats is 100% oats. And for me, spending less than five minutes preparing breakfast is better than spending half an hour cooking on the stove. I'd love to make my whole grain pasta from scratch, but who has the time for that? So I choose a pasta that has ingredients I can recognize as foods (although most are fortified with vitamins, too). I buy prepackaged rice blends that are 100% rice, but they happen to be in the same aisle as the Rice a Roni and Uncle Bens... I also buy frozen veggies - do those count? They are prepackaged, but they are whole vegetables with nothing added.

I'm only suggesting that whenever buying anything that comes in a package, look at the ingredients to make sure you're really eating food and not lab-processed junk. :flowerforyou:

I have no problem with either or just peeved about the low fat,fat free sugar free thing- I go down the aisle You best believe I go down the aisles thats where I get my rice from- lol-

I was just stating that if people bash the fat free kick then they should be against the packaged foods too- But if not then let people eat what they wish especially if they are at least attempting to make changes thats all--
  • carrierella
    Options
    :ohwell:

I was surprised to come back to see the back-and-forth between the couple of you LOL! I never meant to start anything!

I, too, try to stay CLOSE to whole foods consistently. However, there are days like today, that the chemical-laden fat-free pudding that is only 60 calories for a nice serving of chocolate was a terrific find!

Like anything, if you don't eat the "crap" constantly, it is best. Moderation is the key.

To satisfy my craving, this afternoon, I took a special trip to the store. Found some fruits I haven't had in "forever" and that helped a lot. Special-K cereal gave a sweetish crunch. And I picked up some of that pudding. :-/

And, no, I didn't go crazy. I only had the fruit so far.

But now, I'm stocked for emergencies over the next few days! :happy:
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I keep rice crispy treats on hand (pre-packaged). They are only 90 calories, and you feel like you have been really bad!