bad back/hip and exercise?

Options
I just started MFP last week, but I have been wanting to get healthier for a while. I am 40 yrs old with a bad back. Everytime I try a new exercise, it results in me being down and out for a while. Walking seems to be the only exercise that doesn't. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I just started MFP last week, but I have been wanting to get healthier for a while. I am 40 yrs old with a bad back. Everytime I try a new exercise, it results in me being down and out for a while. Walking seems to be the only exercise that doesn't. Any suggestions?

I had a bulging disk for a while and I found that the ARC (similar to an elliptical) did not aggravate my back.
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    thank you, I'll check it out!
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I swim. I have scoliosis and was also in a car accident and I've found swimming gives me the best workout in the shortest amount of time. I go to my local YMCA.
  • kahlee2000
    Options
    Find a pool. Non-impact exercise.
  • ejoy77
    ejoy77 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have low back and hip problems, too. I've found that water aerobics really gives me a good workout without putting stress on my back and hip.
  • StacyB150
    StacyB150 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Non impact exercises. My husband has a bad knee and hip and I have neuropathy and we both use our elliptical. He gets on there and has no pain.
  • mareowner
    Options
    Continue to walk and maybe get a bike or onto an elliptical. I mixed those with strength- push ups, reverse push ups, yoga (airplane) and within a year was running again with a trainers guidance. I found out that with my back pain, I cannot ever stop exercising or the pain comes back. Maybe that's a blessing in disguise! :)

6176597.png