WHats your favorite "easy" amd portable protein?

Options

Replies

• herdthinner
    herdthinner Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    where's the love for HUMMUS?
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Depends on your requirements as to weight, price, & the availability of refrigeration.

For items that are affordable and don't need refrigerating or cooking, I use the following:

Individual portions of chocolate milk
    Individual portions of tuna (can / foil packets)
    Pepperami for a meaty snack (yes highish in fat, but at least it's high protein and long life)
    Nuts of various sorts
  • beverlyfox
    Options
    Roasted Almonds, you can buy then raw and then toast them in the oven yourself, I portion then out into snack size baggies.
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    All good variety of suggestions above, for any circumstance.

Also sardines. Not as gross as they sound, really. Lots of good stuff inthat little fish! : )
  • skateboardstef
    skateboardstef Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs, nuts (watch the serving size!), lunch meat, Greek yogurt (I get the plain kind and add honey, mmm), beans, tuna
  • theome
    theome Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    hard boiled eggs (i only eat the whites)
    Canned chicken with lemon juice.
    are my go to
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Most people have given good recommendations.. but if you're on a cal restriction nuts aren't the best choice for protein.. there are a lot of other more protein dense foods out there.
    I love nuts and eat them every day and they're a great source of healthy fat but they're definitely not my "go to" for a protein punch - I mean 1/3 cup of almonds has 180 cals and only 6g protein. For the same cals, I can eat 200g (quite a bit) of cottage cheese and get 20 g of protein - 3 times as much. As I said I love nuts but watch the cals if you're on a restriction - there are better sources.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Most people have given good recommendations.. but if you're on a cal restriction nuts aren't the best choice for protein.. there are a lot of other more protein dense foods out there.
    I love nuts and eat them every day and they're a great source of healthy fat but they're definitely not my "go to" for a protein punch - I mean 1/3 cup of almonds has 180 cals and only 6g protein. For the same cals, I can eat 200g (quite a bit) of cottage cheese and get 20 g of protein - 3 times as much. As I said I love nuts but watch the cals if you're on a restriction - there are better sources.

agreed.

My go to's are:
    cottage cheese (mix with sf pudding)
    casein powder (shakes & sludges)
    tuna
    jerky
  • thinnerisstronger
    thinnerisstronger Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with vanilla protein powder. Tastes like vanilla custard! Top it with mandarine segments or banana slices or whatever fruit strikes your fancy.
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    i sometimes buy these marinated chicken skewers from the grocery store. Cook up a whole heap of them and wrap them individually in foil and put them in fridge.
    If i'm hungry at morning or afternoon tea i'll just have one of them cold. Really filling, full of protein and depending on which ones you get they are usually under 100 cals a serve.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    almonds!
  • sweetcheeks27
    sweetcheeks27 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    bump! thanks for all the tips everyone
  • servilia
    Options
    almonds!

Not when you have cals to watch. 1/3 cup = 180 cals and ONLY 6g protein
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    almonds!

Say average female aiming for 100g protein. All from almonds. 3000 cals just from almonds. Hmm... any ladies here intaking 3000?
  • foxygirlact
    foxygirlact Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    a few people mentioned adding protein powder to yoghurt. I'd like to try this, can anyone recommend any particular types/brands? (I've never bought protein powder before!)
  • servilia
    Options
    This is what I use: Allmax Nutrition - Isoflex Whey Protein Isolate - Vanilla, 30 g
    1 scoop (30g) has 111 cals, 30 g protein and only 1g carb. Pretty awesome!! I would personally look for ones with low carb.. since I use this as a protein supplement I don't want any extras.
  • cmhickey616
    cmhickey616 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    nuts! I love walnuts, almonds, and pecans for easy snacks high in protein and healthy fats...Also, it's not portable, but quinoa is a really yummy, nutty tasting grain that is packed with protein. It's a great substitute for brown rice for an added boost of protein
  • fit4everyoung
    Options
    starkis tuna packet.. they have several different flavors, and each packet usually has around 30g protein or more.. very easy

Mine too. You get an amazing protein intake with tuna and protein shake 35 g (chocolate frosty shake by Trader Joe's).
  • servilia
    Options
    nuts! I love walnuts, almonds, and pecans for easy snacks high in protein and healthy fats...Also, it's not portable, but quinoa is a really yummy, nutty tasting grain that is packed with protein. It's a great substitute for brown rice for an added boost of protein

No. Actually, if you're watching your cals nuts are not a good source of protein. Very low protein for the cals you're consuming. Fine for healthy fats (although if you really read into it, the ratio of omega 6 to 3 is off the charts), but not for protein, unless of course you're not watching cals. Or have a ridiculously high cal goal.
  • cmhickey616
    cmhickey616 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    almonds!

Say average female aiming for 100g protein. All from almonds. 3000 cals just from almonds. Hmm... any ladies here intaking 3000?

100 g of protein is a loooooot of protein. A 150 pound woman really only needs about 60 g of protein.
    http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm