What do you do with Kale?

Options
Catnyc123
Catnyc123 Posts: 22 Member
I want to start adding it to recipes... how do you purchase it (fresh/bagged, etc) And what's your favorite thing to do with kale?
Thanks!!

Replies

• skinnyjeans13
    Options
    I buy it fresh and usually add it raw to my salads... but my favourite thing to do with them is make kale chips! Just roast the leaves in the oven for about 10 mins with some EVOO and salt and it's soooo good.
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    My kids' school had a nutritionist come do cooking classes with the students with things from their edible garden and they had 2 recipes with kale. One was a 3 bean soup and the other was a salad. My husband also makes a soup using italian sausage, potatoes and cream (although that is really not healthy). Message me if you want the recipe to the first one. My husband doesn't measure anything so it is difficult to send a recipe.
  • TheBakerGirl
    Options
    I love to toss it lightly with a bit of EVOO, salt and pepper then pop it in the oven on 350F and baked for about 20-25 minutes, tossing a couple of times. The leaves become soft and the edges get a nice crunch to them. Delicious and so healthy! I use the curly leaved kale for this.
  • Sallycinnimon
    Sallycinnimon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Kale chips! drizzle or spray the leaves with olive oil. Bake it at 350 until crispy. season it any way you want! Most people just salt them though.
  • GdeVries
    GdeVries Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Buy it bagged, it's so convenient. Anything you don't use goes in the freezer and you can use it again when you need it. Kale does really well in the freezer.

There are quite a few recipes out there with kale - raw and cooked. Best bet to find something you will like is to go to allrecipes.com and search ingredients. I like to add it to a Italian soup I make with beans and pasta and lots of other veggies!

Here's and example: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cannellini-bean-with-flat-leaf-kale/detail.aspx
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Sautee it in a frying pan with drizzle of EVOO, a dash of garlic and some parmesan :-))
  • homeport51
    homeport51 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I use it the same way I use spinach.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Kale chips! drizzle or spray the leaves with olive oil. Bake it at 350 until crispy. season it any way you want! Most people just salt them though.

^^^ This!
  • TamsinEllis
    Options
    I grow my own kale and when I cut it I just put it in the fridge to keep it nice and leafy, then for cooking I tend to just be lazy and boil it to have with dinner, but you can put a little oil in a frying pan, cut the kale up and chuck it in, stir fry it, add salt/pepper/spices so on so forth and have it that way as well, my mum likes to add cut up bacon to hers but that would make me go over my calorie limit haha. You can always have it raw with salads (I don't like that but that's down to personal taste), add it to stews and I did a few years back now make a quiche using it, but I'm not sure how calorie friendly quiche is but I'm sure there's a quiche type thing that's calorie friendly that can be made instead, if you look on Google.
  • Nike13
    Nike13 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I buy it fresh and steam it, add just a bit of salt and it's a great side for almost any meal.
  • aklitten
    aklitten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Huge fan of sauteed kale with lemon and garlic. It's also fantastic in soups like potato lentil or similar hearty broth soups.
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    One of our favorite recipes is from skinnytaste.com - turkey sausage, kale, and white bean soup. It's so good!!!
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    A lot of people like to add it to fruit smoothies but you need a really good blender for this!
  • JackieMac979
    JackieMac979 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I always buy it fresh.

I love it in healthy soup. Even my husband does, and this is after he has a biased opinion of kale because once I just had it steamed and plain and we both didn't like that very much.

I also made a recipe for Aarti Sequiera's Massaged Kale salad once, and it was absolutely fantastic! My family loved it.

you've all inspired me to try baking it for the chips.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    We use it as we would any other green (spinach, chard, turnip greens etc), it has a bit more body and an excellent taste!
  • leannelately
    leannelately Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I echo the Kale Chips thing. I tear it up, toss it in a bowl with a little olive oil and whatever spices I am in the mood for (seasoned salt, Montreal Steak seasoning, garlic powder, pepper, etc) and bake it until it is crispy. SO good!
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    bump!

My friend adds it to a smoothie with berries! I have yet to buy any Kale but I'm looking forward to it!
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have used it steamed and seasoned with pepper and also in stir fries.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Great in soup, used in place of spinach in certain recipes, salad, and roasted in the oven. Here is a soup recipe I made a few weeks ago that I really liked (I used regular kale instead of red kale for the recipe and it was still good):

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/02/rustic-red-kale-and-white-bean-soup.html
  • mallred76
    mallred76 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Kale chips for sure. I make green smoothies and juices with it. I also lightly steam it and drizzle some flaxseed oil and apple cider vinegar over it. My 5 year old eats it up, started when she was 3. It's super yummy and super healthy. Enjoy!