Elliptical or treadmill?

Options
I've been working out pretty frequently for the past few months and have finally built up the endurance to run a few miles on the treadmill (I'd always hated running but find myself loving it these days!) I noticed that the elliptical burns more calories though...can this possibly be right?? I definitely feel like I'm working much harder when I run but obviously I'd like to burn as many calories as possible. Any advice on where to focus my workouts?

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Which do you enjoy more? That's the best one.

I always read how stationary bikes are great for lower body. I desperatly want to lose some thighs. I HAAAAATE the bike. Its terrible. So I don't do it. I do the elliptical and the treadmill and the rower. (not a fan but can stand it)
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I agree with Lozze. I'd do whichever one I like more, even if it burned less, just because I won't stick to something I have to force myself to do.

I love elliptical but I would probably quit on a treadmill. I can't run though (baby bird lungs) so I think being able to run is really great. I'm always jealous when I see people running. :)
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I prefer the treadmill. I find that I get a better workout with that, elliptical is just too easy for me, it feels like I'm cheating. lol.
  • lesleyatlarge
    Options
    Hi, I like the elliptical because it is low impact on my knees, which tend to blow up with fluid every now and again. You can make it easy, with no resistance, or you can make it like climbing a steep hill with lots of resistance. I find a moderate pace on the elliptical is still more of a cardio workout for my heart than a brisk walk on a treadie. And it's not as noisy..... lol.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I don't know that either is better - as long as you're exercising - all good!

I do both. I like running - especially outside, but after several runs in a row sometimes my hip joints
    ache from impact so I give myself a break with the elliptical and the elliptical works my arms more - I'll turn up the
    resistance and try to just use my arms for a while.... so it works different muscles than running.

I asked a trainer once and she said running is better, especially intervals... but who knows?
  • Megdonald1
    Megdonald1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    What about mixing it up? Alternate days on tred/elip. I go between four: Tred-Elip-Bike-Stairs (YUCK HATE THE STEPPER!!)
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    E for me!
  • iPhone4fotos
    Options
    I like the treadmill. I run/power walk incline intervals and I burn a thousand calories in an hour.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    Both! Hands down running has been the best calorie burner for me. Hated it at first but can't give it up now. I have a treadmill and elliptical and use both. You really need to crosstrain with running...doing it every day can cause injury down the road plus it is easy to burn out. The elliptical is lower impact and quiet (important for me when everyone else is sleeping). Also, try the C25K program...really great for new runners. Either way keep moving and you'll do just fine!

BTW...my elliptical used to say I'd burn 1,000 cals with the longest program...I bought a HRM and was actually only burning 1/3 of that...talk about disappointing but good to know. Running roughly burns about 100 cals per mile (depends of course on fitness level, etc).
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    Elliptical helps build strength in the legs so that's the major advantage of it. It's like running and stair climbing in one. However, the treadmill will probably give you a higher total burn.

Me, I say just go outside. That will give you the best result because you have the changes in the terrain forcing you to use more of your muscles :)
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Cybex Arc trainer!!:wink:
  • Chadwick891
    Chadwick891 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Elliptical burns more calories due to the movement with the arms and the stride length. It also is a more effective movement to target the quads, glutes and hamstring portions of the legs when resistance is added.

The advantage of a treadmill is the fact you can do HIIT on it, where an elliptical, you'd be pretty crazy to attempt that, cus you'd break the machine!!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the ellipticals & arc trainers...... they are fantastic and there's no impact on your ankles or knees (which is good for me) -- even walking on the treadmill makes my knees and ankles sore -- but I can go full speed on an elliptical for an hour with NO problem! Also, try the stair climber -- calories burned are comparable to the elliptical, but it's a totally different workout -- and yes, the stationary bike is GREAT for lower body! That's what I started doing when I first started going to the gym - and my legs are the first place I noticed weight loss!
  • jwulgaert
    jwulgaert Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I prefer the treadmill set to a 15% incline. I get the highest calorie burn that way.
  • BeccaMovinUp
    Options
    Treadmill BUT try running outside with a good playlist or pod casts from Jillian Michaels. This is the only form of exercise I thoroughly enjoy doing and you get results!
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    We have both. It seem like the treadmill is a harder work out to me. The elliptical is easier on my knees.
  • lab280
    Options
    I used to love the elliptical, but now I prefer the treadmill - but overall I think variety is what matters and I would suggest mixing it up to keep your body guessing!
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Anything but the "dreadmill" - lol
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Both. Unless you have a really specific goal, my trainers have always said that mixing up workouts is best for weight loss, muscle growth, and health.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Which do you enjoy more? That's the best one.

I always read how stationary bikes are great for lower body. I desperatly want to lose some thighs. I HAAAAATE the bike. Its terrible. So I don't do it. I do the elliptical and the treadmill and the rower. (not a fan but can stand it)

you should go OUTSIDE on a bike. i loved it.