When you can't afford gym equipment...

Options
And it's too cold outside to go running, what do you all suggest. I'm really discouraged right now.

Replies

• RainbowDream83
    Options
    I have the same problem here, but....

I can walk briskly back and forths through my house, or jog/run in place.

It's been working for me :)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    push ups
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same question. We have a treadmill in the garage but even that will be too cold to use soon. My family has some DVDs that I'm thinking I'll use. One is mine, and it's amazing, though it takes 3.5 hours to do a full work out. It's a New York Ballet work out. I really love it, though I run into space (and time) issues again. No equipment needed. My family also has a few sets of DVDs, P90X (NOT for me!), and then a 10 minute work out set by the same guy. The 10 minute work outs are nice and you don't need much equipment (I think you need these exercise band things, which are pretty nice anyway, a cheap, easily transportable alternative to weights). Another thing that's nice is jump roping. Though you need some space, it burns a ton of calories, again. :) I'd like to hear other people's suggestions though.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Options
    Invest in DVDs. There are tons of free workouts online too.
  • jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    30 day shred! or other jillian michaels DVDs, they are pretty cheap. Do you have a wii or xbox? I love just dance 2 and 3 for the wii. I can't afford a gym either so these are what I have been doing.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    there must be tons of free workouts you can watch online.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Try looking into a rebounder (mini trampoline). Urban Rebounder is a pricey (but quality) brand - but there are knock-offs that are much cheaper. These are great (low impact) for jogging in place.

Walking DVDs would work. I mostly "walk" during walking DVDs - but you could jog. These moves are very simple (NOT choreography) and would be easy to modify the intensity up. Jog during walking, pendulum swings during side steps, plyo hops during knee lifts, etc.

Look at youtube for a preview .... These DVDs are available at many big box stores.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndVjwkaLGDk&feature=PlayList&p=3276123ADD7730EE&playnext_from=PL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8b4P57jNsQ&feature=PlayList&p=3276123ADD7730EE&playnext_from=PL
  • carterjerm
    Options
    push ups

and abs, jumping jacks, run in place.. basically anything to get heart rate up and keep it up for a sustained amount of time.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    "too cold to go running"? I've never heard of such a thing!

If you can't hack the cold try exercise videos.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Besides the ideas listed, our school district has a "wellness program" for the staff. With this, they have made a room available with gym equipment for the teachers and staff. They are allowed to invite friends to workout with them. Talk around, maybe a school or other business is doing this in your area.

Also, I have slowly built up some equipment at home off craigslist. I have one room with a Bowflex ($200), treadmill ($100) and trainer for my bike ($50) and free weights (free from someone throwing them away). All was in new condition. A couple years old, but the person just wanted to get rid of it because it took up space. Next summer (when things are cheaper) I will look for an elliptical. I do have a spare room to put this in though.
  • backstreet1008
    Options
    Well now I do DVDs but before that I used to put on some music (Pandora) and dance for 45-60 minutes.

I've also seen a lot of people recommend free online videos like bodyrock.tv
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    If you have cox cable check out OnDemand there's a whole fitness section with TONS of videos.

You could also purchase some at walmart for cheap.
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    There are LOTS of free workouts on YouTube and even Hulu! :)

On YouTube check out channels like Blogilates and Sarah Fit. Or videos by the Tone it Up Girls.

I love the Blogilates workouts because only a couple of them require any equipment. She also has a few HIIT cardio workouts.

Also, why not get a couple of resistance bands? Don't go to a sports equipment store, but rather a discount store like Marshall's, TJ Maxx, etc. I recently picked up a couple of new resistance bands at a TJ Maxx for $4 each. You can also get yoga mats, hand weights, and random other stuff there at a deep discount.

Good luck! Where there's a will, there's a way. I work out at home exclusively and have spent very little money on anything by buying on clearance and using the Internet. Once you have a little more $$ saved it might be a good investment to buy a treadmill used off Craigslist. People are always unloading them and I think out of all the cardio machines they offer the most variety for your investment.
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    for Kettlebells, I sub a weighted backback - I just load with books till I get the weight I want, and off I go.
    Jumprope - best $15 I ever spent and I can take it with me anywhere I go.
    pullups - I lay under my kitchen table chair and grab the edges and pull up (it's a portion of the body weight, but at least it's still working the same muscle groups as a standard pull up)
    Do body weight stuff - squats, pushups, V-ups, jumping jacks, burpees, doubleunders
    Create your own workout:
    As many rounds as possible in 20 minutes:
    5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 squats

or as fast as possible - 100 burpees for time

You don't need exercise equipment to work out, just be creative
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    buy ankle/wrist weights ($10) a stability ball ($10) and DVD's (30 day shred is just one of many $9) You can do it! also craigs list and thrift stores are great places to get cheap equipment you just got to be crafty sometimes. good luck
  • EddieG77
    EddieG77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Wal-Mart - $15 Gold's Gym Fitness Bands.....hundreds of exercises with them!!

Any sporting store.....jump rope....awesome cardio WO IMHO!!! Can't go wrong

Your own body weight!!!
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    LOADS of things. I exercise indoors most of the time.

Can you buy some dumbbells? Even on ebay or something? The kind where you change the plates so you can vary the amount of weight. You can use a coffee table as a bench and do all kinds of exercises with the dumbbells (with or without the "bench"). If you have a staircase (I don't!) you can run up and down it for exercise. There are loads of bodyweight/boot camp style exercise you can do in minimal space. Also you tube has lots of exercise videos, you can do those in your own living room. Download them onto real player or similar if you have a slow internet connection so you don't have to keep stopping if they take time to load up.

If you really can't afford dumbbells, get some 2 litre water bottles and fill them with water, or sand, and you can use them for many kinds of exercises. You can vary the amount of water/sand to get different weights for different exercises. Also fill a rucksack with heavy books to make a weight vest.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    P90X, Insanity, or a combo of both...basically anything that gets you moving and mixes cardio with strength training.
  • Swanson83
    Swanson83 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem here, but....

I can walk briskly back and forths through my house, or jog/run in place.

It's been working for me :)

This makes me smile. We were at my husband's grandmother's house this weekend and she is the type you aren't happy unless you are eating! We normally do JM Ripped in 30 in the evenings so when it came to our normal time, my husband was doing all the moves through the house. His grandma got a good kick out of that. :)

We use dvd's as I said. I know in the future we will want more but for now a $10-$15 dvd is all we can afford.
  • 84jeepster
    84jeepster Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Its never too cold or too rainy or to snowy or too muddy to go run!

As I plan to race in these conditions, I need to train in these conditions. For an example of what i run, check out this link. www.toughmudder.com. I am doing the Pennsylvania one in May and the Jersey one in November but I have done the Tri-state one in 2010 and 2011.
    "too cold to go running"? I've never heard of such a thing!

If you can't hack the cold try exercise videos.