When you can't afford gym equipment...

Options

Replies

• AP2o12
    AP2o12 Posts: 20
    Options
    Get a jump rope! 15 minutes of that will def get your heart rate up! Also, I'd check out www.bodyrock.tv all of their workouts are at home and with minimal equipment. Bonus: you get to stare at Zusana's hot body...which is major motivation ;)
  • barleespringers
    Options
    It's best to find ways to either deal with the cold or join a gym.

Sorry there isn't more to help you with. I live in Chicago, and the winter is here ... therefore, I am running in the snow (first year doing this).
  • chantelle149
    chantelle149 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bodyrock.tv.com best thing ever! Short workouts that give good results. Skipping is also really good cardio. :) Best of luck. I lost all my weight working out at home.
  • Workout DVD's save me when it's cold outside... I also found bodybuilding.com that gives you workouts you can do in your home. If you have a phone or tablet with android market you can download Workout Trainer and it gives you at home workouts as well.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    And it's too cold outside to go running, what do you all suggest. I'm really discouraged right now.
    Get a mattress on the floor and jog in place while watching TV.

Here are some ideas:
    http://extremebodyweightworkouts.com/
    http://www.calisthenicexercise.com/

Also, I put on some music and dance. If you're motivated, you will find a way to exercise.You can do this.

Best of luck!
  • nukehiker
    Options
    P90X and insanity are great indoor workouts just to name a few
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    "too cold to go running"? I've never heard of such a thing!

If you can't hack the cold try exercise videos.

It's hard on your lungs to run outside in below freezing temperatures without a muffler/scarf (they even make special one for running. Then there's also the ice that can be dangerous. I guess it depends where you live.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I still run in the winter (and I live near Chicago). After a mile or so, I'm not cold anymore and start shedding layers. I'm sure this is suggested above but you can buy exercise DVDs, check them out at the library, or if you have cable with ondemand, there is an exercise selection.

I found out about a gym with an indoor track that will let you use it for $2 without being a member. Maybe there is something like that where you live.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    workout dvds. I bought some for $3 a piece on ebay and there's a lot on netflix too!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    squats, jumping jacks, lunges, planks, all free! Tons of exercises with or without weights online.
  • mkath4
    mkath4 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Do you have Comcast? There are TONS of workouts on On-Demand. Everything from cardio to strengh training, yogo to pilates.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Push ups, walking lunges, body weight squats, jumping jacks, jump rope and some workout DVDs.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If you have a body, you have built in resistance training. Pushups, crunches, planks, squats...it's endless, and you can find them for free online.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Bodyweight / isometric exercises will get you fit, you don't have any equipment besides your own body so nothing to 'forget' to have excuses for not working out.
    Check out military fitness routines, I don't think anyone could say most of those folks are not fit, and it's what they've got wherever they are.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Double post--silly MFP.
  • mp15
    mp15 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I run from the basement up to the second floor and back down. I do it 15-20 times and its a gasser. You can slow the pace down and increase the time, but it is a great workout in a pinch.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Great ideas listed above, body weight squats, sit-ups, push-ups {normal, stair, knee}, walk-up and down the stairs in your house, planks, lunges.
    Basically get creative with what you have, park a few spot further when you go out, take the stairs, use a bathroom on another floor.
  • summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    push-ups
    lunges
    squats
    sit ups/crunches
    planks (try the many different types!)
    jumping jacks, jump rope, walk/jog
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I agree that you can find workout DVDs at your local library.

My jump rope cost $3 and when I can't go outside, I just move one of the cars and do it in the garage.

If you want to step it up a notch, dumb bells and resistance bands are fairly cheap.