New Tattoo vs Exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• Redfieldr
    Options
    I know it might sound crazy, but when I got mine (on my hip, right where the waistline of my pants hits) the tattoo artist told me that I could put Bacitracin on it and then cover it with plastic wrap so that it didn't rub against my clothes. I taped plastic wrap to myself every time I wore pants for about 2 weeks and it healed perfectly. Just make sure to tape the plastic wrap on really tight so it doesn't rub and to clean it as soon as you're done working out.

hope this helps!

Very helpful! Thanks!
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I only used lotion on all my tats. Covering it with plastic wrap seems to be the best idea. Maybe wear biker shorts and a hugging shirt too. You can wear some regular clothes over the top.

Make sure you wash it!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I have a tattoo and I used Original A & D ointment (diaper rash cream). That was 4 years ago and I really don't remember how long it took to heal, but it looks great and I don't remember having too much trouble. I wasn't working out very much then either though...

I use A&D also, and have had three tattoos in the past little over a year. They all healed quickly. I did the Warrior Dash a week after the one on my back, but there was no friction from clothes in that area. My first was on my belly, but that was before I exercised. Still, I think it was mostly healed within a week. None ever scabbed. They just peeled like a sunburn.
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I used A & D and plastic wrap too.
  • madameduffay
    madameduffay Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Good Morning-

I'm one of the newer men on MFP and appreciate new friends; however, I have a question for the masses.

I have a new tattoo that is still healing, but the process is going slowly and it is getting in the way of me being able to exercise (without risk of damage to the ink).

Does anyone have any suggestions to improve healing time?

Thanks,

-R

When I got my tattoo, they suggested I put Prep H on it. Sounds weird but it healed in no time at all.
  • luvJOJO
    luvJOJO Posts: 1,881 Member
    Options
    Aquaphor (made by Eucerin) ----> best thing in the world for a new tattoo
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I know it might sound crazy, but when I got mine (on my hip, right where the waistline of my pants hits) the tattoo artist told me that I could put Bacitracin on it and then cover it with plastic wrap so that it didn't rub against my clothes. I taped plastic wrap to myself every time I wore pants for about 2 weeks and it healed perfectly. Just make sure to tape the plastic wrap on really tight so it doesn't rub and to clean it as soon as you're done working out.

hope this helps!

I did the plastic wrap thing sans the bacitracin for workouts. You get funny looks, but it beat the hell out of having the thing rubbing on my pants (it was back of thigh, right below my *kitten*).
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Good Morning-

I'm one of the newer men on MFP and appreciate new friends; however, I have a question for the masses.

I have a new tattoo that is still healing, but the process is going slowly and it is getting in the way of me being able to exercise (without risk of damage to the ink).

Does anyone have any suggestions to improve healing time?

Thanks,

-R

Hi mate and welcome!

first of all over moisturising will make the ink run and fade, if it is your first lot of ink, it will take longer to heal as your body is not going to be used to it. You dont want it to dry out but you dont want it to moist either.

For me I am right to exercise after a day or 2 and I go back into the full swing of things. Also is it colour or black and greay wash?
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    follow the aftercare instructions of the person who did it and wait it out. tattoos really don't take too long to heal, you should be fine within a week!
  • TamsinEllis
    Options
    Bepanthen (yeh it's used for nappy rash, makes it great at keeping your tattoo hydrated and soft!) and plastic wrap is good if you think it needs it since it keeps the air off and moisture in. And for the person I saw saying to let it dry and crack, never when I have gotten a tattoo have I been advised that, in fact I've always been advised the opposite to keep it hydrated (and obviously clean) and when it is nearly healed it will still be soft but bits will start to flake off naturally and to not 'help' them flake off.
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    I'd just do different kinds of exercises. Maybe some cardio, since that doesn't involve too much bending. For every tattoo I've ever gotten (and I have seven of them now), I've used A&D ointment, and I've never had one take more than a week to heal, but I usually apply the ointment for two weeks to be safe.