tricks?

Options
What tricks do you use to get yourself to work out, even when you don't want to?

I'm starting to get desperate, I feel as though I am battling someone else, when in fact it is me who is holding myself back. Most of the time I can't seem to win the fight to make myself work out.....the part of me that wants to sit on the couch and do nothing often wins out.

I know....finding a work out I enjoy is important....I have that in the summer. I love cycling, but I can't do that outside in Michigan cold winter, and biking inside is not nearly the same. So I just have to buck up and do it.

My thoughts are, keep my work out clothes in the basement (where I work out) so when I get home from work I go directly downstairs, change and work out. No checking facebook, don't even go to the bathroom (go before I leave work) and just get it done with.

What do you do to make yourself work out?

Replies

• kerrbear79
    kerrbear79 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I remind myself I'll get to eat more if I do! It means I get to have more dessert, so if i don't do my work out I don't get a good dessert. Seems to motivate me lol.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I am no good at motivating myself -- so I hired a trainer! He kicks my butt almost every day!
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I have a schedule and I stick to it!!

Mon - Thurs I have class at the gym from 6:30- 7:30p NO Excuses!

I plan my days around it. it also helps that I absolutely LOVE going to these classes. Friday I don't normally do anything, Saturday classes at the gym again and sunday is rest day.
    I make it so it's part of my normal daily routine. :drinker:
  • persephone87
    persephone87 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I find it really hard I have severe anxiety and leaving the house is a task in itself, however if you look at the success stories, it spurs you on to think wow that could be me, maybe look at them before leaving work see how much weight people have lost and look at how amazing they look and then think right when I get home I'm going to have a mint work out because I can do it!
  • KelLifts
    KelLifts Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I find when I don't want to work out. I will put on my workout clothes... which includes my HRM and such... usually just by putting it on I find myself wanting to see those calories burn.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I love working out, I have to make myself take breaks.
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I take one & a half scoops of NO Xplode 30 mins before w/out time. I find that usually motivates me lmao :)

Russ
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I find if i give myself a goal, then i know i have to work to attain it makes me do it.

For example, decided i would become a jogger/runner(eventually a runner) and started the c25k beginning of september, as i progressed there, and realized its attainable i set the goal with a family member to run a half marathon in May.

So now, i have to stick to a plan, and be strict so i can do what i have committed myself to do. And that makes me do the run that i need to do the days i need to, so i am capable of the half marathon and can keep up with my family memeber i commited to do this with!

So, have a short term goal in terms of workout results and a long term goal...
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I've been slacking a lot on the motivation part. I like to read Self magazine, or Fitness or something. Looking at those healthy people...makes me want to work out :) Or...go clothes shopping! That one REALLY makes me want to come home and work out :)

Good luck!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Here's my tips:

1. Think of it as personal hygiene. It doesn't necessarily have to be fun, but it needs to be consistent. It's like brushing your teeth or taking a shower. The act itself is ok, but if you don't do it, you'll be gross.

2. When it is consistent, it becomes a habit. That's what I'm working on right now. I want this to just be something that I do without thinking too hard about it.

3. Keep it simple. I tend to get overwhelmed when I try to research stuff and design a workout. It's much easier for me to grab a jump rope, or just pop in a workout DVD and just go at it for a few minutes rather than thinking about what I am doing.

4. Having workout clothes handy is helpful. It is a thousand times easier to jump around when you have a sports bra you can rely on and shoes that make you feel good.

5. Listen to music. The tempo keeps you going longer than you would listening to your own breath sometimes.

6. Time it. I like doing the beach body DVDs because they have timers that tell me how much longer I have to go before I can stop. Or, if I'm doing jump rope, I try to stay with it for three songs. If the song isn't over, I can slow down, but I can't stop until the song is over.
  • CRSE1214
    CRSE1214 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    try laying your work out clothes on the couch so you will see them when you try sitting down on it! Maybe keep a "goal" photo on your fridge or bathroom mirror for inspiration.
  • sweetcheeks27
    sweetcheeks27 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I *try* to do it first thing, as soon as I wake up then I don't have any excuses later on in the day or I don't get too tired later on either. I actually find that I am more productive when I work out in the morning. I work from home so I can get up whenever, it's a lot easier for me to do this then people who have to be at work super early in the morning.
  • sweetcheeks27
    sweetcheeks27 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I also have a new rule at my house, if I want to watch my new movie from Netflix I have to be downstairs lifting or walking..if it's a good movie I get in a longer workout. lol
  • rachelmorgan77
    rachelmorgan77 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I sign up for classes. One, I'm now financially obligated to go - I paid for those suckers! And two, I made the commitment to be there. Then after a while everyone in the class gets to know each other, so if you miss a class, they'll check up on you. Find a "workout buddy", someone you either have to workout with or report to. If you have to report in, you're more likely to do it.
  • SKINNYMESOON2B
    SKINNYMESOON2B Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My trick, There are times where i'm super tired and just dont think i could make it through a full workout or i feel sick. i PUSH myself to get dressed and i litterly drive there. In my head i say when i get to the gym if i still dont feel good or just too tired to workout then ill drive back home. In those cases i get to the gym and i just go in and workout. I figure im there already just do it and get it over with. lol :)
  • lalonmeg000
    lalonmeg000 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I like your idea of just going straight to the gym. That is always my problem, if I sit down...good luck getting me back up. After classes my friends love going out to movies etc, and my rule of thumb is I don't go unless I get my workout in. I try not to think of it as punishment but time managment...if I have time for a 2 hour movie, then I have time for a 30-45 min work out.

Everyone is different but try just working out right after work, no option to sit down, just do it!
  • revjames
    revjames Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    dont know about working out straight from work. I need an hour to chill out as my job can be quite physical. Then theres the question of 'what time's dinner?' if its relatively soon then its either get to the gym (my garage) and get on with it or have my dinner and wait a couple of hours before having a slightly later workout. Either works for me although the pre dinner workout is prefferable as I have a legitimate reason for working up an appetite!

As far as tricks go, I find a CD with a reasonable pace of music that I havent listened to in a long while and put it on while I'm training, takes your mind off it. Best of luck with it in any case.
  • MadDogTannen22
    MadDogTannen22 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I agree with Revjames, I have always struggled with dinner time...eat before? After? I prefer to work out (on the treadmill at home) early in the morning, and I do a short workout, usually a Jillian video (about 20 minutes) at 8:00pm, which works because I eat dinner early. That also helps me to not overeat at night, which is my big problem.

In terms of motivation, I love logging the exercise and seeing the weight slowly drop. if you haven't gotten to that point, just hang in there, you will, and seeing the scale tell you good news, even if it is half a pound, is itself addicting! Plus, I feel so proud of myself after I work out!
  • SussexJohn
    SussexJohn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I work out for half an hour a day for two weeks and nothing is happening :(
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I remember how I feel AFTER I workout (healthy and full of energy) and that usually gets me to exercise.