Runners with History of Herniated Discs...

Options
HELP! I am getting advice from 3 different sources and it doesnt all agree with each other. Then when I question it I get the ole "well its your body I suppose you can do what you want" and I am being treated like I am a naughty patient. I want to do whats right, but what is wrong with wanting clear answers with clear evidence based behind it...

So ... can you tell me your story ... please? :)

Replies

• emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    BUMP ... not one person aside from people on my friends list that msged me seperately?
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    sorry no one responded to you...I was really hoping you would get some good info
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Lucky for me I can't help you with this one. Perhaps you can post on the runners world's boards for a better response.
  • DawnMac85
    DawnMac85 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a runner and have had back surgery (6 years ago) for two herniated discs (had a dynamic stabilization done). I was told by the surgeon at the time that the most I could run now would be 5K, I loved running distance so didn't run again until this year. I had other issues after my surgery with a lot of nerve pain. I ended up having the steroid injections last year and then was able to start getting fit again. I run about once a week on the treadmill right now, no longer than 30 minutes. I ran a 5k race in early Nov....had a great time. I have a new appreciation for running 5K, I find that as long as I continue to work on my core strength then I am ok. I think it is an individual decision to run with a previous back injury.