Synthyroid help?

Options
I just was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism-I also have nodules-the Dr put me on Synthyroid and I go back for more testing in 6 weeks. I am a little freaked out by the Side Effects of Synthyroid-has anyone had any major issues with this-or does it actually make you feel better pretty quickly? Thanks!

Replies

• tracysway
    tracysway Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Not taking it will risk low calcium levels, fatigue and weight gain. Sorry, I am a nurse on a post op surgical floor and rountinly administer synthroid. You will feel better.
  • Tiffany919
    Tiffany919 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i'm listening to the jillian michael's podcast right now and this episode talks ALL about this. it's the "jillian and dr. v" episode and it's towards the end of the podcast. download it free on itunes and listen.

good luck to you!
  • lablovr108
    lablovr108 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I've been on Synthroid for 11 years now. I don't remember ever having negative side effects. I know that once my dosage was regulated, I felt like a different person, in a good way. Good luck!
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    you will start to feel better and see an increase in energy and possibly weight loss too.
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    About 20 years now .. on the right dose, no real issues. Had to high a dose recently, my heart rate and BP went through the roof! Backed off the dose and I'm fine.
  • auntied
    auntied Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've taken Synthroid for 30+ years no side effects here! I had to have my Thyroid out completely.. Good luck...
  • Shannon_Nicole83
    Shannon_Nicole83 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I've been on synthyroid for a little over a year, I don't remember having any side effects. I also don't remember feeling any different once I started it, but I was 3 months pregnant when diagnosed and many of the symptoms are similiar to pregnancy 'side effects'. Good luck!
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I have been taking synthroid for 8 years. I am still alive and kicking. I have no problem with side effects! After a few days of taking you will feel better!

The only thing I suggest is if you can afford it do not get generic. Generic drugs can have up to 10 % dosage differnce and the FDA says its ok. So if you are taking 100mcgs perscribed and you get generic. Your potency could be as little as 90mcgs one month and the other month you could have 110mcgs. that is a 20% change that can really affect moods swings, fatigue the whole enchaladia! My Doc said when it comes to thyroid, heart and brain meds, never do generics. Thyroid hormons is needed for every cell in our body to function.

I hope this helps you!!!

Take Care~Rhonda
  • lablovr108
    lablovr108 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I have been taking synthroid for 8 years. I am still alive and kicking. I have no problem with side effects! After a few days of taking you will feel better!

The only thing I suggest is if you can afford it do not get generic. Generic drugs can have up to 10 % dosage differnce and the FDA says its ok. So if you are taking 100mcgs perscribed and you get generic. Your potency could be as little as 90mcgs one month and the other month you could have 110mcgs. that is a 20% change that can really affect moods swings, fatigue the whole enchaladia! My Doc said when it comes to thyroid, heart and brain meds, never do generics. Thyroid hormons is needed for every cell in our body to function.

I hope this helps you!!!

Take Care~Rhonda

My doctors have always insisted that I take the name brand Synthroid as well for the reason stated above.
  • kattydid65
    kattydid65 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could look at the group, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism, there's alot of information there. It was really helpful for me.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I've been on synthroid or levothyroxine for 10+ years and know of no bad side effects. What I remember is that it took a long time for the med to kick in, but when it did, it felt like I had been half asleep for years. Overnight I had more energy.

I've never had an issue with the generic, but I know lots of folks who need the name brand. My advice would be to stabilize on synthroid and then see if a generic will work for you in a year or two.
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    Been on it for about 5 months now and don't have any side effects.

Just make sure you follow the directions, take pill with 6-8oz of water, no eating for at least an hour after pill, and I think some juices can effect it's effectiveness - If you take vitamins or supplements I would talk to the Dr. about when is the best time to take those.

Make sure you keep getting your bloodwork done.
  • Teeladog
    Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have been on it for 12 years and never had even one side affect (or at least no negative side affects). Make sure to go to your follow up appointments and get your levels checked when you are supposed to though. Even when you have been on one level for a long time things can change very suddenly.
  • DottieNewton
    DottieNewton Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have been on Synthroid for years--once it kicks in you will feel so much better. More energy, alertness, memory will be better. Unfortunately I have not seen any weight lost and I take a fairly large dose.
  • benihanagirl
    benihanagirl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    To recap what others have said: I've been on it for ages with no side effects. In fact, one of the reasons I finally gave in and had the radioactive ablation done when I was hyperthyroid is due to the differences in side effects between tapazole/methimazole and synthroid/levothyroxine long term. Just remember to take it every day on an empty stomach. :)
  • Majunta
    Majunta Posts: 575
    Options

I hope this helps you!!!

Take Care~Rhonda
    My doctors have always insisted that I take the name brand Synthroid as well for the reason stated above.
    Mine too! I've been on Synthyroid for 6 years; no side affects.

But you must be diligent in following the directions. Taking it at the same time every day and at least an hour before you eat or two hours after you eat is extremely important. As I understand it, Synthyroid is a sensitive medicene and instructions must be followed correctly.

Unfortunately my insurance changes Jan 1 and I am required to use generics unless I want to pay through the nose. Doc and I talked about this the other day and it's pretty tough to get an exception.
  • melbellkid
    Options
    Thanks everyone...you are making me feel much better-the Dr actually gave me a 2 month supply to take with me of the name brand to get started-he said to avoid dairy products because it messes with the absorbtion. It makes me feel better knowing that others are going through the same thing and they are feeling better-I have been a miserable mess for about a year-I guess I am thankful to find out there was a reason for it and there is a fix for it anyhow!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I'm on Levoxyl...form of Synthroid. Unfortunately it's the ONLY way to manage hypothyroidism and thankfully side effects aren't really an issue with T4 replacements.

I'm doing fine, you will too. :flowerforyou:
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I take Synthroid, not the generic either. The generic does not work for me. I don't find that I have more energy or anything like that. But, with that said, my doctor told me that it will affect so many parts of your body. I do not have any side effects from it. I periodically have my blood tested.

12117749.png
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I know at least 10 people who take this without any side effects.