Loose skin

Options
I've lost quite a bit of weight, and I anticipate loosing quite a bit more. My skin is starting to dimple, and I'm afraid that it is going to start sagging. Any suggestions on what to do to avoid or combat excess/loose skin?

Replies

• Sweetrayray80
    Options
    Hate to say it, but your best bet is to slow your weight loss down a bit. You skin is your largest organ and it has to heal. It takes time to retract. Also, you can increase strength training. Up your lean muscle mass to "fill in" some of that lose skin. I started having that hangy stuff under my arms, but I upped my curls & weight amount & it's starting to look a lot better.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    People recommend all sorts of things, drinking more water, losing weight more slowly, toning up. These things may help, but the truth is that some people's skin bounces back better than others. In the end, you may have to just remind yourself that it's better than being fat. (I'm firmly in the less-well camp.)
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to have the same problem with my arms and I've been strength training (with a trainer) all year and as I've lost more weight it keeps getting a little saggier. I think it completely depends on your body. You can do all of the things people say to do but in the end, your skin will either bounce back or not...unfortunately.
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    My stomach and upper thighs are worst areas for me. Arms are not too bad. I just wear spanx all the time. Sorry. Hope it gets better
  • cassuccino
    cassuccino Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I don't know how well it works but I read somewhere that dry brushing your skin before or after you shower may help. It sounded rigorous and time consuming... but if it works... =) Here's what I read from a blog of a lady who lost 100 pounds...

Skin tightening
    If you know someone who has lost a great deal of weight, you’ll know that most of them have very baggy skin and sometimes “batwings” on the back s of their arms and other loose skin that can be most distressing.
    Thanks to the recommendation of my friend Sabra, I started dry brushing my skin religiously every day after my shower, at the same time I began the diet. Now, I have very little loose skin and what slight looseness I have in the skin of my legs is fast tightening up. I confess: I’m addicted!

Break up cellulite
    Dry brushing also help stimulate the connective tissue around those dimply fat cells, usually found on the thighs and buttocks, that we call cellulite. Vigorous dry brushing and the movement of lymph can help reduce cellulite.
    Toxin flushing
    In addition, dry brushing addresses the entire lymphatic system, including the 500 or more lymph nodes in the body, helping usher out toxins and excess fluid. Forgive the hyperbole, but those 500 or more individual lymph nodes just love to be stimulated by my vigorous brushing, so dry brushing helps take care of 500 problem, lazy unstimulated lymph nodes.

Oil production
    Dry brushing also stimulate natural oil production in the skin, so, even on an extremely low fat diet, I had no dry skin.
    Now, I’m no spring chicken. I’ll confess to 63 years and counting, so wrinkles are also an issue for me. I’m not wrinkly. My skin is firm and I think it looks better than that of most women my age, thanks at least in part to dry brushing.

First, get yourself a good brush
    Look for a good quality fairly stiff brush at your local beauty supply, cosmetics or bath supply store. I think it’s good to choose your brush in person rather than ordering online because you should be able to feel the bristles. Natural bristles are best and it should feel fairly stiff. When brushing, your brush should stimulate your skin, and make it pink, but it shouldn’t hurt.

How to dry brush
    I dry off carefully after my shower before dry brushing. If your sin is very sensitive, you might try brushing while your skin is still wet. Your brush won’t last as long if you use it on wet skin.

Arms
    Start on the palms of your hands to stimulate the lymph nodes. Using the longest possible strokes, stroke from palm to shoulder on each arm, eight strokes in each location up the sides of your arms, the backs and in the armpit. Then stroke across the upper chest and make curved strokes around and under the breast (for women). Always stroke toward your heart.

Neck and throat
    Next, I pay special attention to the neck and throat. This is the one exception to stroking toward the heart. I stroke upward because the ravages of time and gravity tend to pull neck skin downward.

Legs
    Next, move to the soles of the feet and repeat with long strokes upward being careful to brush all sides of the legs. You can use circular strokes for an extra “oomph” on problem areas like inner and outer thighs and buttocks. Just be sure to finish of with long strokes toward the heart to keep that lymph moving.

Belly
    Finally, make vigorous circular strokes on your belly, finishing up with long strokes again from the groin area toward the heart.

Face
    Use a different and softer brush for your face. You want to exfoliate and stimulate but the body brush is too harsh for delicate facial skin. Use a complexion brush and go over your entire face with small circular strokes. I do this separately when I wash my face.

That’s it! It’s simple and it will make you feel energized.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    thanks im gonna try this for cellulite!
  • HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I saw Dr. Oz the other day say rubbing tuna fish juice on stretch marks tightens the skin. It had something to do with the Alpha-Omega 3 fats. Strangely enough, it works pretty well on my stomach!
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I saw Dr. Oz the other day say rubbing tuna fish juice on stretch marks tightens the skin. It had something to do with the Alpha-Omega 3 fats. Strangely enough, it works pretty well on my stomach!

what kind of tuna juice?? that sounds strange!
  • HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I guess the kind in the can? At least that's the kind he used while doing the show and what I have been using since.
  • voguextc
    voguextc Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You can also purchase some Alpha-Omega 3 capsules at the grocery store, break them open and rub that on stretch marks. Same applies for Vitamin E oil. Shea Butter, Coco Butter can help. If they are really old I recommend Microdermabrasion even though it runs pricey it's totally worth it. Also I was reading that Alpha Hydroxy Acid can help. Maybe try that St. Ives Renew and Firm Apricot Scrub on your stretch marks?
  • DerpdyHerp
    Options
    Do you recommend chicken of the sea or starkist? Also, albacore is pretty expensive. Is it worth it? I plan on buying a couple of cases.
    I guess the kind in the can? At least that's the kind he used while doing the show and what I have been using since.