Does it matter WHEN you work out?

Options
here's the thing: I work out on my days off. which are usually monday tuesday wednesday.

so in those 3 days, i collectively burn like 1700 calories which is way above what i need to.

but then i don't work out for 4 consecutive days.

so does it matter how close the days are together if i'm burning the calories i need, and still going 3 times a week? :S

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    What do you do to work out? If you are doing cardio, it doesn't matter.

If you are strength training, you might want a rest day in between workouts.

Honestly though, the best time to workout is when it is convenient and when you will actually do it.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i do half of my cardio in the morning before breakfast and the rest after work before dinner.
  • AnaBackwards
    Options

Honestly though, the best time to workout is when it is convenient and when you will actually do it.

i'm doing cardio, yeah. i have been dabbling in some strength training but really not much. plus, i can do strength training at home, which i do sometimes. but that's not my priority, cardio is.

so it's okay that i just go 3 days in a row?
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If that's when you can do it, then I wouldn't sweat it too much. It might be better to spread it out, but doing it is more important.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Basically yes.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I would say, as long as your working out, that's all that would matter. I would stay within calories on the days that you don't work out, especially if it's 4 days in a row.

12117749.png
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    here's the thing: I work out on my days off. which are usually monday tuesday wednesday.

so in those 3 days, i collectively burn like 1700 calories which is way above what i need to.

but then i don't work out for 4 consecutive days.

so does it matter how close the days are together if i'm burning the calories i need, and still going 3 times a week? :S

It depends on what you're doing in those workouts. Are you weight training or just doing cardio?? Even if you're just doing cardio, it's still a good idea to rest in between sessions. Lots of people use this model: train, train, rest, train, train, rest, rest. Repeat. As to what time of the DAY you do your workouts, it doesn't matter. Do it when you have the time/most energy if possible.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options

^^^^ That's pretty much it. :noway:
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Do what your schedule allows.
  • ster81
    ster81 Posts: 249
    Options
    I was wondering if you are training for an event since you mentioned that cardio is a priority for you. Just curious about your actual goals. And to answer your question, you can do cardio anytime of the day that's convenient
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

i'm doing cardio, yeah. i have been dabbling in some strength training but really not much. plus, i can do strength training at home, which i do sometimes. but that's not my priority, cardio is.

If fat loss is you're goal, you've got the priorities backwards.

As to when you train, if you have a calorie deficit over a whole week you will lose weight. If you're exercise is done in the first 3 days then that's fine as long as you have the calorie deficit over the whole week. MFP uses 24hrs as it's the easiest way for us to record.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely fine. You might get marginally better results by training on non-consecutive days instead. But honestly, it probably doesn't make that much of a difference. The best type of workout is the kind that you'll continue doing. So if you're able to workout on those three days, then stick with it.