Calories burned???

Options
Should I get a HRM and start entering the actual calories I burn during a workout? I feel like the amount of calories burned cannot be the same for every single person who does 30 minutes of cardio, weight training, etc. For anybody who has a HRM, have you noticed a descrepancy between what was already programmed into MFP and your actual burn?

Replies

• jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Yes I do notice a difference, MFP way over states the amount of calories I apparently burn so I just wear the HRM whenever I am exercising, it's not a super fancy one but I figure at least I am not eating those extra calories that MFP says I am burning when I am not.
  • Corlynn2
    Corlynn2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What is an HRM? I have been looking for something inexpensive, that can track calories burned..
  • daterminedfatburnerX
    Options
    HRM is heart rate monitor thats the one that tracks your calorie burn
  • kristinpruis
    Options
    Heart Rate Monitor. You can pick up a watch version which is pretty nifty and enter your weight. It will check your pulse and can better gauge the calories you burn. I think mine may have been like 25 bucks.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! Get a HRM!! Best thing I ever did - I have increased my intensity at the gym because I thought I was working hard.... but I really wasn't.
  • terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have a cheapie Reebok heart rate monitor that i bought on amazon about 4 years ago. Its a watch with a chest strap that monitors my heart rate while I work out. I have to plug in my weight/height/age and it shows my calorie burn. They do seem to be pretty accurate, though some people on here will debate about that, since I can lose weight using the calorie counts it gives me. The database can be accurate about some things, not so much on others. When i compared it to my HRM numbers, it was dead on with my calorie burn while bowling. But seriously overestimated my burn for walking and using my elliptical trainer. Guess it depends on the person.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I feel it allows me to work out more efficiently.
    I can run/jog (5 to 6 mph) or walk at a very high incline (3 mph 12+ incline) and my heart rate will be the same.
    I'd much rather walk :)
    Plus it's motivating to see the cals burn go up and uppp!
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    When I do strength days, if i plug it into MFP is says 124 cals burned, but my HRM says 250... so yeah, big difference :)
  • AnnaK812
    AnnaK812 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!!! I think I'll definitely be getting a HRM!
  • Corlynn2
    Corlynn2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes thanks for the information... Going to buy one today!!!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, calculating calories burned is inaccurate, unnecessary nit-picking. I prefer to keep calories and activity consistent, and make minor adjustments when progress stalls.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    My HRM usually gives me a number higher than MFP... I LOVE it and it is more comforting to know I have something more based off my resting HR and personal stats.
  • AnnaK812
    AnnaK812 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, calculating calories burned is inaccurate, unnecessary nit-picking. I prefer to keep calories and activity consistent, and make minor adjustments when progress stalls.

But how will I know if my activity is enough to make up for my consumption? Trust me- I'm a creature of habit, but I think I need a starting point at least.
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    When I do strength days, if i plug it into MFP is says 124 cals burned, but my HRM says 250... so yeah, big difference :)
    Sorry, but the HRM is probably not accurate either. This article explained a lot to me: http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75

(Edited to add: HRM is not so accurate for weight/strength training. Still a great tool for cardio days!)
  • Jess5825
    Jess5825 Posts: 228
    Options
    The only workout I've done that comes close to my actual calories burned is the elliptical and it is still off my like 40-50 calories.
  • danikat11
    Options
    i already have one due to my mom needing one to monitor her heart for a while. maybe once she is done i can use it. im def. convinced to do so now.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    My HRM shows me as burning more calories than MFP showed. It's starting to go down some now that my heart rate is going down, though.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    And the opposite can be true. There are some things where MFP overestimates.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    honestly, a hrm is the best tool because even if i do the same walk every day, sometimes i push myself to go faster and burn more calories than the day before. how would i know without a hrm?
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but the HRM is probably not accurate either. This article explained a lot to me: http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75

(Edited to add: HRM is not so accurate for weight/strength training. Still a great tool for cardio days!)

Thanks for that link. Interesting. So I guess you just gotta do what you gotta do - watch what you eat & make sure you exercise at least every day.