So what happens when you reach your goal weight?

Options

Replies

• KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    When you first achieve your goal weight it is important to maintain it for 2 months or more without gaining more than a pound or two to reset your weight. Then at least your body will help you maintain your new weight. To lose we have been fighting our bodies which want to maintain our weight. One good thing is that once you have reset your weight you don't have to fight your body anymore. If you lose more that will mess up the reset as well. Yes you still need to exercise to be healthy. I guess if you are losing to be healthy it isn't such a hard thing. If you are doing it for other reasons then it is harder but I think it is good you are looking ahead and thinking it through. So many reach there goal and then just gain it back because they haven't figured it out yet.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I think the key is to enjoy your treats once you're at goal, but remember that they are treats. If you go out for a special dinner, enjoy your 3 course meal. If you go to a party, enjoy that fantastic-looking cheesecake. Just don't eat cheesecake (or whatever) every day just because it's cheap and available. Keep tracking your weight and calories - not necessarily always at least a week every month or so, to remind yourself to be aware of what you are eating. If you're a little under your maintenance calories most days, then having a feast or treat now and then won't be a problem.

And keep up the exercise: not only does it let you eat more, it'll make you feel better in your body, aid your mental health and let you live longer, too!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Yep, goal weights change. Strive for performance rather than a magical scale number IMO. If you increase in performance then everything else falls into place.

And who is going to argue with a guy swinging an ax? Not me, that's for sure! :tongue:
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Is the 1500 based on a sedentry lifestyle? My goal weight calories are 1900-2800 depending on my activity level. I know just from losing the weight I have, I am more active these days. My goal is not only my goal weight, but an on-going sustainable activity level that keeps me fit and healthy and supports me not starving.
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Yep, goal weights change. Strive for performance rather than a magical scale number IMO. If you increase in performance then everything else falls into place.

yep
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options

yep

So wise! I'm much prouder of my accomplishments since reaching my goal weight in January than I have been of any of my weight loss to date... It's all about pushing your limits, setting new goals, and continuing to improve and reach new heights. Figuring out how to be the best "you", as the lame saying goes :bigsmile:

As for eating - do it often and well and enjoy the benefits of strenuous exercise. I burn loads on my long run days and eat myself silly some days. It's all about balance!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

And who is going to argue with a guy swinging an ax? Not me, that's for sure! :tongue:

LOL :smile:

It is the old "try & become 1% better than you were yesterday"
  • CountandBaxter
    CountandBaxter Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I pretend I'm an athlete in training for something or other and I keep on going. I hope, anyway. That's the plan. Maybe I'll even find a sport for middle aged, clumsy women and actually be in training!

Roller Derby. and Running - 5Ks, 10Ks, Half's, etc..

:D
  • oreoschick
    oreoschick Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    All you people just "trying to get skinny" really irritates me! I am doing this to get healthy, to be proud of myself, and to prove that I am worth more than a f***ing cheeseburger! Once I reach my "goal", I'm going to train more and do things that I could only dream about a year ago (rock climbing, pole vulting, hangliding, running a marathon!). If you don't completely change your habits then your going to end up they way you where in the first place, fat, tired and depressed!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    All you people just "trying to get skinny" really irritates me! I am doing this to get healthy, to be proud of myself, and to prove that I am worth more than a f***ing cheeseburger! Once I reach my "goal", I'm going to train more and do things that I could only dream about a year ago (rock climbing, pole vulting, hangliding, running a marathon!). If you don't completely change your habits then your going to end up they way you where in the first place, fat, tired and depressed!

True that!

I'm aiming for the world record for most muscle ups in a row. High goal I know but wouldn't want to set the bar too low :tongue:
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You've gotten tons of great comments and while I'm generally an ubber positive person . . . keep in mind that the number of calories you can eat get's less as you age. To me, 1500 or 1700 sounds like a feast!

I'm 47 years old and 5'2". Once I reach goal, I'll be allowed 1200 calories daily (if I'm lucky). I have a desk job and even if I exercise, it will be 1350 or whatever.

So, enjoy it while you're young (or enjoy being tall) or whatever. Anyway, try to appreciate the food you're eating. There is more to lfe than food and certainly food can be divine even if you don't eat huge volumes of it. I find that I can have any one treat any given day. I can even have one nice large meal any given day (and keep the others small).

Lastly, veggies are the secret. They are so good for you and high in fiber and make you feel full. I eat a huge salad (enough for four people) in addition to what I'm having for dinner. I feel great!

You can do this. Don't expect too much change too soon.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    So after you get to a certain size - how do you maintain it? I am reading that when I am my goal weight I naturally burn 1500 calories a day. Even if I ran 30min a day (to burn 200 cals) that is still only 1700 I can eat without gaining weight! Is that really the only way to keep the weight off once you reach your goal? It almost seems like it isn't worth it to lose weight if I can't enjoy eating ever!

You are right, but you could just burn more than 200 if you want to eat more.
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    Doing same thing as before :) It is not a diet , but a lifestyle therefore you gotta continue if you don't want to gain back the weights that you lost.
    I pretty much moderate my foods, cakes and workout 30 minutes 6 times a week which is doable :)

Here you can see my moderated recipes with pics :
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cooking-ideasHomemade-Healthy-Foods/179121125503371
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options

This is so true. I'm doing this to get healthy as well. I also don't want to back to where I was.
  • trishstrain
    trishstrain Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've lost more than 120 pounds and kept it off for 16 months now. You have received a lot of good advice here. What I found for myself is to take the information I've read and learned throughout my weight loss journey and then fashion a plan that works for ME. That's what I had to do to lose weight, and it's what I have done to maintain.

I am envious of those people who now "crave" only healthy food. If you told me I could never have another french fry, I would give up right now. So, since I have always been a person of extremes, what works for me is to watch what I eat very carefully Monday - Friday (and yes, that means counting calories and tracking food and exercise), and then eat as I please on the weekend - with no calorie counting or food tracking. This, combined with exercising at least 45 minutes 5 days a week, has allowed me to both indulge in the foods I enjoy from time to time, and maintain my weight loss. Everyone is different. You will find what works for you! :)
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    This is one of the reasons I like the spike way of dieting/life style.

I eat in deficit 6 days a week (currently 1900 cals.) an done day of eating a spike day (Currently that is 4.4k cals). Make some minor adjustments per the program book and keep eating along those lines. I don't plan on stopping though. Once I hit my goal weight I will be trying to gain muscle and going through gaining and cutting cycles to get the body I want.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    That's the way you should eat most of the time to maintain. But you can go over occasionally and not gain weight. The trick is to make sure those days remain occasional.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I irritate you.
    People who unnecessarily use the F word as a common adjective irritate me.
    So, I guess we're even.
    I reached my goal in mid-November and have stayed within 2 lbs (some over, some under) since then.
    Having a 'dead' leg below my right knee, I can't physically perform the feats you delineated; however, my blood pressure and my cholesterol levels are that of someone 1/2 or 1/3 my age. THAT's enough to motivate me to maintain.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I irritate you.
    People who unnecessarily use the F word as a common adjective irritate me.
    So, I guess we're even.
    I reached my goal in mid-November and have stayed within 2 lbs (some over, some under) since then.
    Having a 'dead' leg below my right knee, I can't physically perform the feats you delineated; however, my blood pressure and my cholesterol levels are that of someone 1/2 or 1/3 my age. THAT's enough to motivate me to maintain.

you could focus on upper body strength, pull-ups,bench-press etc.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,420 Member
    Options
    I think after a point, it stops becoming a diet and starts becoming a way of life. When I'm not training for a race, I can eat about 1800 cals/day for my height and activity level. Most of the time, I hardly make that because all I want (yes WANT) to eat is fruit and veggies and lean protein. :)

But also remember, a low calorie requirement doesn't mean you can never go over. You can balance it with eating less the day before (or after - similar to calorie rotating that some people use to lose weight) or exercising.

Also, a bit of tough love here: think to yourself, what sort of habits with food made you overweight in the first place? In some respects, if you don't change those habits, then yes, your struggles right now won't be worth it because the weight won't stay off. Changing your relationship with food will make it worth it - and remember, you are definitely worth it!

This^^^^^!