So frustrated!

Options
HI new here! :) This losing weight thing is sooooooooooo frustrating! I'm trying so damn hard, yet I'm not making any progress. It's terrible! I've cut out potato chips ( which they were like oxygen to me ) I only drink water, I'm not too big on sweets, I work out 4 to 5 times a week... and yet- no improvement! What on earth am I doing wrong????? I need to lose at least 25 pounds and I can't even manage to lose 5. It almost makes me feel like giving up but I know I can't.

Replies

• Chadwick891
    Chadwick891 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hey, I couldn't help but see your post!!

Look, I'm going to send you an invite to add you - because in a period of 10 weeks I lost close to 40lbs (17.20kg I lost in total) and I am looking to inspire others to help them achieve their goals!

I would be more than happy to help you along the way and give you advice and hopefully give you the physique you desire at the end of a short period!
  • Cydnie197
    Options
    I have had the absolute BEST results switching to a paleo lifestyle. If you would like more specific info, let me know, or just google it. It is really so very simple and logical.

Good Luck!!
  • LadyKatie2010
    Options

Look, I'm going to send you an invite to add you - because in a period of 10 weeks I lost close to 40lbs (17.20kg I lost in total) and I am looking to inspire others to help them achieve their goals!

I would be more than happy to help you along the way and give you advice and hopefully give you the physique you desire at the end of a short period!

not quite sure how I feel about the legitimacy of this dude....
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options

LMAO ! I was thinking the same damn thing ! But hey ... ya just never know ! ;)
  • stephanie_salvi
    Options

Agreed with both. Also, is that healthy?
  • ygglove
    ygglove Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You could be gaining muscle, since you're working out? Muscle weighs more than fat... Measure your self?
  • VeganFit
    VeganFit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well what are you eating? Honestly it all depends on how much you put into your workout and what you consume. Just because you cut out potato chips and drink water and don't eat sweets doesn't mean anything other than you are doing great on that aspect. Don't look at it as doing anything wrong either! You are here to make a life choice and a change and it seems you are doing it.

You have to look at how many pounds a week you want to shed, how many calories you need to consume to achieve that and how many calories you burn during your workouts. There are so many different factors to consider. You can work out 4 to 5 times a week and only walk a mile and call that a workout and if you do that all the time and make it routine and don't push harder each time then your body will adjust and you wont burn as much doing it.

Are you eating enough? Are you fueling your body throughout the day? They say to eat every 2 to 3 hours. Eat for your schedule. That is if you are going to be lazy and do nothing the first three hours of your day then don't eat heavy. But if you are going to get a BIG workout in and know you'll need the extra fuel then eat more.

So it's not really just about cutting foods out of your diet but adding foods to your diet, adding the right foods at the right time, getting the proper exercise at the proper intensity level and working that way! By the way it sounds you are on the right track just go through your daily routine and see where something may need to be shifted/changed.
  • stephenson6
    Options
    Hi,

Did you know that 50% of the population has an alternative metabolism and the calories in/calories out types of diets, just don't work? Some people can eat healthy, exercise a bunch and still manage to gain weight! Yikes!

The Metabolism Miracle was written especically for those of us with an alternative metabolism. By controlling the fat-gain hormone, insulin, you re-train your body to process carbs correctly, and effectively, lowering insulin. You eat real food and what's great is that there's a wide variety to pick from. And after you de-tox for 3-4 days because of the carb withdrawl, (yes, you may get cranky) you'll have more energy and won't crave all of those high impact carb foods you thought you could live without!

I have been following the plan for 7 months and my latest bloodwork results were music to my ears. I was able to lower my diabetes med and completely eliminate my cholesterol & BP meds for the first time in years and have lost over 45 pounds of fat! The first 8 weeks, while you rest your pancreas, you do limit most but not all carbs. The next step, until you reach your goal, you slowly and systematically, add lower glycemic carbs back into your diet and continue to lose weight.

Check it out at http://www.themetabolismmiracle.com.

I use MFP to track what I eat but it's not necessary on MM. Friend me if you are interested and I can tell you more. I don't post much but I thought I'd respond because this plan works!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Cutting out potato chips and doing moderate exercise a few times a week is the right start.

Next week, try cutting out something else - could be any number of things. For me it was Mayo, then cheese, then I cut way back on red meat. I didn't do it all at once. As a result, I don't really miss any of them. For other things, find better choices of substitutes like frozen yogurt instead of ice cream. I eat more fresh vegetables than a rabbit - but it keeps me from reaching for the crackers or chips.

Every few weeks, increase your effort level or frequency of workouts in the gym. Three years ago, I was swimming 2 days a week and doing elliptical for 20-30 minutes on 3 other days. After a year, I decided to start running - it took me 6 months to get to 5k distance (I had never been a runner before, so this was new to me). This October I finished my first 1/2 marathon and running 5 miles is a breeze.

Long story short: Start slow, build slow and stick with it.
  • Chadwick891
    Options

hahaha, how could you all think I am not legitimate or it's not healthy?

The 10 week period is a short amount of time to lose the weight (I even have the before/after photos in my profile and can show you photos from the actual contest).

It is completely fine to lose this weight in a short amount of time as long as you're eating correctly and working hard to achieve it. My lifestyle and health has increased significantly since starting my challenge and I still have the motivation and desire to continue with my challenge.

The reason I was able to lose close to 40lb during the 10 weeks and come third in the contest overall was because I didn't count calories, but proteins, carbohydrates and fats while still maintaining my nutritional standards (Iron, magnesium, calcium etc.etc.)

If it were unhealthy and I suffered adverse effects from it, I wouldn't be trying to inspire people to reach their goals and desired physiques, because that wouldn't be right.
  • RahBuhBuh
    RahBuhBuh Posts: 585 Member
    Options

You have to trust women's spidey-senses.

Four pounds a week seems like the Meth Diet...take a bunch of meth and spend 10 weeks dismantling old air conditioners instead of eating.

I think everyone hits a wall. But you will push through it if you are eating sensibly and exercising.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    aargh, don't they all crawl out of the woodwork when they sense vulnerability. My honest feedback is to let us see your diary so we know what we're dealing with - it's hard to make any suggestions otherwise.

You will find lots of help here if you are willing to accept it. Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like. I'm not the most knowledgable person on here by a long shot but I have a good grasp on the basics and am happy to help if I can.
  • Chadwick891
    Options

You have to trust women's spidey-senses.

Four pounds a week seems like the Meth Diet...take a bunch of meth and spend 10 weeks dismantling old air conditioners instead of eating.

I think everyone hits a wall. But you will push through it if you are eating sensibly and exercising.

Hahahah, no....

I did not take meth for 10 weeks >_>

I have the consistency of my entire diet for the 10 weeks posted on my blog, here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Chadwick891/view/motivation-to-your-new-body-180907

I was doing very heavy strength training and did Rugby Union training 2 nights a week w/ 5 nights a week training and did muay thai during it too.
  • Rayman79
    Options
    In defence if Chadwick, I can only see two days worth of food in his diary, but what is in there is good...
  • missmimi1984
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the awesome replies! I really appreciate everyone's input. :) I must admit I could do more- I really need to cut out the dairy... that is extremely hard for me because I LOVE cheese! What am I eating? Well... for breakfast I have either 2 hard boiled eggs or Special K yogurt and berries cereal... I alternate- never eat the same thing 2 days in a row... For lunch I have stuff like Healthy choice steamer meals.. I think that is the name of them.. or I have tuna on honey wheat.. which I've just learned bread has some serious calories.. sometimes I have the digiorno pizza... the small one that you microwave? I know that is bad. :( For dinner- well, I've drastically cut my red meat intake.. now I mostly eat chicken and lean pork.. turkey burgers.. whole grain pasta... when I work out I run on the treadmill for about 35- 45 minutes then I get on the floor for some crunches- then I do some work with my free weights. I need to change quite a few things in my diet! But I am most definitely slowly getting there. :)
  • RahBuhBuh
    RahBuhBuh Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost near the weight a lot of these people have so I they may have better insight, but here are some suggestions.

1. Cut the cheese :) (yup I work with teenagers). It has a lot of calories and is not filling.
    2. Not so much bread.
    3. Fruits and veggies
    4. Do weights before cardio
    5. Cardio should be alternating speed and incline at a moderate pace
    6. Log everything you eat.

Hope that helps some.
  • Chadwick891
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the awesome replies! I really appreciate everyone's input. :) I must admit I could do more- I really need to cut out the dairy... that is extremely hard for me because I LOVE cheese! What am I eating? Well... for breakfast I have either 2 hard boiled eggs or Special K yogurt and berries cereal... I alternate- never eat the same thing 2 days in a row... For lunch I have stuff like Healthy choice steamer meals.. I think that is the name of them.. or I have tuna on honey wheat.. which I've just learned bread has some serious calories.. sometimes I have the digiorno pizza... the small one that you microwave? I know that is bad. :( For dinner- well, I've drastically cut my red meat intake.. now I mostly eat chicken and lean pork.. turkey burgers.. whole grain pasta... when I work out I run on the treadmill for about 35- 45 minutes then I get on the floor for some crunches- then I do some work with my free weights. I need to change quite a few things in my diet! But I am most definitely slowly getting there. :)

Just a general guide for a 'short-term weightloss goal' you should consider cutting out a few things i.e.:
    Dairy - The lactose has quite a lot of SUGAR in it (Cottage cheese is okay, though as it has a casein protein in it, recommended eating it before bed)

White bread - The process of white bread and how it is made contains quite a lot of empty calories with no fibre benefits (replace with 100% wholemeal bread)

Sugar - 10 calories per gram of sugar // Have zero calorie sugar i.e. Stevia or Splenda

Coke/soft drink/booze - Contains a lot of empty calories // Red wine has a lot of antioxidants, but so does dark chocolate, but you shouldn't have either (DURING A SHORT-TERM WEIGHTLOSS GOAL)

You can have XTEND powder formula to your water to give it taste, it also contains essential amino acids that will help benefit your body and you will have a lot better performance with every day things (Memory function, energy etc.)

These are just a few guidelines to help you get started :)
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    If you open up your diary so that it's public, it will help us help you :)
  • Rayman79
    Options
    Just to be clear with your terminology, these are not guidelines, they are your opinions. There is some valid stuff there, but why does she have to take drastic action to drop weight quickly? Because you did?

The single most important thing is to set up good, long term, sustainable habits! I grant that some people need to take more dramatic action to see quick results as a way of motivating themselves to continue, but not everyone is the same, and the last thing we want is to set up unsustainable diet habits.

To the OP, I'd suggest not making any changes to what you eat for a couple of days, and diligently log EVERYTHING. That way you can make an assessment of where you could do better - youd be surprised at the calorie content of some foods... Pay attention to your overall calorie levels and your macro nutrients as a starting point.

Don't feel embarrased about opening up your diary to others either, most people wont care to look, but think of it as another way of keeping yourself accountable, and you can always get advice if you hang around with the right people and ask for help!

Cheers,
    Ray
  • missmimi1984
    Options
    Oh I didn't know my diary wasn't public! How do I change that?