I have no idea what to do.

Options
I do good for one or two days, and then right away I eat insane amounts. If you have read my other thread, I had an ED. A lot of people are going to say 'Just stop eating like that'. but honestly I have no control over what I eat. I feel like once I eat one bad thing. I already messed up so I might as well eat anything I can get my hands on. Some times I feel like it's a punishment to make myself regret eating like that but this has been going on for quite a while now.
Due to having a ED, after eating so much I honestly feel like I hate myself. I have no idea what else to do. I want to lose weight. I want to get my self-control back. Most importantly, I want to be happy.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Please :(

Replies

• LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Perhaps some counselling would help?
  • LaLaMicha
    LaLaMicha Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel about messing up, and then wanting to binge and eat everything in sight. I think it's all because of all the deprivation when you are trying to be perfect. I wish I had the answer to this question. I think it's about being a perfectionist. Everything is black or white,,,,,,good or bad,,,,there is no middle,,,ALL or NOTHING.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Professional mental health? Sounds like your eating habits are due to a deeper problem and food is being used as a coping mechanism.
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    You are the only person that has control over what you eat. Saying you don't have control is an excuse (not to sound too harsh). It's really hard sometimes to not eat but it can be done. Remove yourself from the situation. When you have eaten somethign bad get yourself away from food. Leave the house.. get in your car, go somewhere, go for a walk. Its not easy, but it does get easier over time. Willpower is like a muscle, the more you use it, the stronger it gets!
  • sara338
    Options
    Professional mental health? Sounds like your eating habits are due to a deeper problem and food is being used as a coping mechanism.

There is. I am under doctors supervision for almost two years now. I have also talked to counselors and I understand that there is other problems. I just can't seem to get everything under control. Thanks for the advice though :)
  • sara338
    Options
    I know how you feel about messing up, and then wanting to binge and eat everything in sight. I think it's all because of all the deprivation when you are trying to be perfect. I wish I had the answer to this question. I think it's about being a perfectionist. Everything is black or white,,,,,,good or bad,,,,there is no middle,,,ALL or NOTHING.

That's exactly how I feel. All or nothing. Even the idea of being tempted drives me insane.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Been there, hon, and I'm glad you're getting professional help. Have you done any work to figure out your triggers? Once you know those, it gets a *tiny* bit easier. In the meantime, you just have to keep going. Try to keep the really tempting binge foods out of the house, and you can always count your binge days as 'spike' days to help with the guilty feeling.
  • og8997889
    Options
    I just recently started a program to get ready for my new year's resolution. http://boyels.com is where I read my first review on the product. I must say I pretty satisfied so far. I'm not hungry and in 3 months I lost 36 pounds and still losing about 3 pounds a week. It's not easy though some days I feel half dead lol. But the main thing to remember is to never give up and always remember that while others are sleeping, we are running.
  • ksmydra34
    Options
    7388802.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    It must be really difficult, and I really feel for you. The only thing I can think of is; you know when people say "oh well, I'll start tomorrow" Don't start tomorrow, start the moment you have finish eating what ever you didn't want to. Tomorrow never comes, it all starts now. When you make a mistake it's easier to rectify it when it's still small. Start your healthy eating straight away. So you had a chocolate bar - Follow it with a carrot stick and tell yourself your full and you don't need it.

It's hard but like it's been said.....WILLPOWER! you can do it sweety :smile:
  • mccrockl
    mccrockl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I know this might not be what you are looking for, but don't forget to give yourself credit for those awesome days. And maybe there are even things on the binge-y days that you can even congratulate yourself about- like still drinking plenty of water or eating more veggies than you would have before. I know that for me I can be really, really hard on myself when I mess up (like I have been basically for the past week- oops- darn the holidays) but reminding myself that the percentage of time that I mess up is pretty minimal compared to days that I do well helps me. Anyway, good luck and keep working at it.
  • NCmcMan
    Options
    Hey There! That is the EXACT story of my life. I am over 500 lbs though because of my ED. I think a lot of people just don't really understand what we go through, and the struggles that we have. Thankfully, there are a lot of people on here that are very warm and loving. MSG me if you want to talk. I would love to get to know you better and help you anyway I can. Maybe we can help each other.
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Definitely seek professional help...but you could also try cutting sugar out of your diet. For ME, if I eat a little sugar...it turns into a LOT of sugar - It's best if I stay completely away. I think some people can become "addicted" to sugar and it gives us that feeling of losing control of our choices. Check out my diary...I eat protein, veggies & usually 1 piece of fruit. I stay very satisfied and I don't crave sugary/carb-y things anymore. Every once in a while (no more than 1x every couple of weeks) I'll eat something sweet but then I'm right back at it the next day. Good luck!
  • mestrydom
    Options
    I agree with premiumchilen above. When you mess up just tell yourself "It's in, and there's nothing you can do about it, so move on". Take responsibility for what you ate and do damage control.

Try not to think about healthy eating as a 'diet'. That is just setting yourself up for failure. Don't deprive yourself. Load your food with nutrients. Enjoy experimenting with your meals. Make it look good, sit down to eat, enjoy and eat consciously. Give yourself permission to eat from the wide variety of foods that we are meant to eat! Include lots of colour, healthy fats and lean (good quality) protein in your meals. And allow yourself treats! Plan for these, factor them into your calorie count and make them count! If you're going to 'cheat', make it worth it. (I.e., don't throw calories away on 'rubish' foods ... go for the best and enjoy every bite.) If it's chocolate or ice cream, get the best and enjoy it without feeling guilty.

If you ate a whole pizza and feel you blew your diet ... realise you didn't!!! Pizza is still food! (Not to have every day, but it's OK!!) Try to then just have something light for supper if you feel peckish again later and put it behind you.

You can do it! (And it's not about losing weight only. It's about breaking the chains of your self imposed prison.) We're here for you!
  • VeggieKelli
    VeggieKelli Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It's so good to hear you are addressing your concerns and under doctor supervision! I'm hoping this means your in counseling too, I wasn't really clear on that. But if not, obviously that's my advice.

In the meantime, it takes a lot of determination. But, there are ways to counteract. If you have a bad binge, try to do an extra exercise to burn off some of the calories. Whoever said get rid of the obvious go-to foods, I second that! Avoid the Kitchen as much as possible, or activities you might typically eat in. Try try try to do something else, like take a walk, and/OR have someone in your house you are accountable to that can call you out or you can ask for help. And lastly, I think the most important which I'll repeat what others have said but forgive yourself and just keeping doing what you can!

Best of luck!
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I went to look at her profile, she deactivated her account :huh:
    Some people just can't accept help when it's given to them. I feel bad for her.....
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I went to look at her profile, she deactivated her account :huh:
    Some people just can't accept help when it's given to them. I feel bad for her.....

How incredibly sad...