Sugar Detox?!

Options
2»

Replies

• SweetMegz04
    SweetMegz04 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    No, I am not a diabetic... no issues like that. I think the goal was just to help me get away from the sweets, perhaps something this drastic could help. Go all or Nothing, right? But yes, I also agree with what happens after 2 weeks. So, I think what I will do is focus more on staying away from sugar but allowing some- a piece of chocolate for instance. I find that tea and stevia help with the "sweet" craving too.

Just as an FYI to hopefully ease your mind a bit: In the context of weight loss, individual food sources are irrelevant as far as fat gain/loss outside of their contribution to your daily totals for calories and macros. For example, a scoop of ice cream by itself will not make you fat. Overconsuming calories will make you fat, and a scoop of ice cream has calories in it, as does an apple, as does a bowl of vegetables.

This is an important distinction to make because if you have the misconception (and I'm not saying you do) that certain foods are inherently "bad" then you'll end up depriving yourself of a lot of pleasure on this journey, and you and I both know that losing weight isn't fun as it is.

Now all that being said, if you compose your diet entirely of ice cream and cake you won't get much food and you'll develop micronutrient deficiencies and health problems, so obviously you should do your best to be smart about your food choices. But I'd also RECOMMEND that you intentionally budget SOME of your calories towards things that are what you'd call a "treat.

Eat mostly nutrient dense foods like vegetables, fruit, nuts, meats, fish, etc.
    Eat "a little bit" of snacks/treats/etc.

And win.

Nicely put... Thanks for the advice!! :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    But for some people (sugar addicts), it's really hard to stop at one scoop.

^ And I understand this and this where the individual needs to know him/herself. (And good point).

However, I do think that MANY people try to fully eliminate a food and this is exactly what causes the lack of self control (setting calories too low can also play a role here IMO).

If you tell someone with a TDEE of 2700 that they have to eat 1200 calories and can't have any sweets, I'll bet a large some of money that they will end up lacking self control because of this.

I'm not saying this applies to everyone. I'm sure there are people who genuinely have a food addiction and it would be idiotic of me to say that elimination is ALWAYS a bad thing. I just think people are way to quick to practice this habit without figuring out the cause of their inability to moderate.
  • SweetMegz04
    Options
    Thank you everyone so much for all this great advice!!

to be honest, with me Sugar is really an addiction.. give me one chocolate and I will have 3 or 4 then I am like "well this day is ruined" and then the WHOLE box is gone! I am done with that and I need to have the control. Right now as I type this I have an office FULL of Chocolates, Treat Towers and Cookie Tins... Thank you Holidays and Co-Workers.. lol But I have yet to eat any of it.

Go Self Control!! lol

My plan is to start Monday- by this I mean start my avoiding the "bad" sugars and carbs but allowing some of one or the other. I wanted to do my research food-wise first and it's basically any good eating diet. Protein, Fruits, Veggies, Nuts and Fish. All what I plan to eat.

It's like re-teaching myself that it's ok to say NO to sweets and know I have that Power.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Just as an FYI to hopefully ease your mind a bit: In the context of weight loss, individual food sources are irrelevant as far as fat gain/loss outside of their contribution to your daily totals for calories and macros. For example, a scoop of ice cream by itself will not make you fat. Overconsuming calories will make you fat, and a scoop of ice cream has calories in it, as does an apple, as does a bowl of vegetables.

This is an important distinction to make because if you have the misconception (and I'm not saying you do) that certain foods are inherently "bad" then you'll end up depriving yourself of a lot of pleasure on this journey, and you and I both know that losing weight isn't fun as it is.

Now all that being said, if you compose your diet entirely of ice cream and cake you won't get much food and you'll develop micronutrient deficiencies and health problems, so obviously you should do your best to be smart about your food choices. But I'd also RECOMMEND that you intentionally budget SOME of your calories towards things that are what you'd call a "treat.

Eat mostly nutrient dense foods like vegetables, fruit, nuts, meats, fish, etc.
    Eat "a little bit" of snacks/treats/etc.

And win.

This!

Yes...and no...I was plateaued for a month or so and my brother (he is a LMT and he and his wife are also health freaks) challenged me to just cut out sugar--as in the deserts, soda, etc. I immediately started losing weight again. I did that for about 3 weeks. This week has just sucked though. I really do need the all or nothing approach and I succeed with that. I wouldn't recommend cutting out ALL carbs. I didn't cut out fruits at all, just the junk food.

I think it is worth a shot!
  • carterjerm
    Options

to be honest, with me Sugar is really an addiction.. give me one chocolate and I will have 3 or 4 then I am like "well this day is ruined" and then the WHOLE box is gone! I am done with that and I need to have the control. Right now as I type this I have an office FULL of Chocolates, Treat Towers and Cookie Tins... Thank you Holidays and Co-Workers.. lol But I have yet to eat any of it.

Go Self Control!! lol

My plan is to start Monday- by this I mean start my avoiding the "bad" sugars and carbs but allowing some of one or the other. I wanted to do my research food-wise first and it's basically any good eating diet. Protein, Fruits, Veggies, Nuts and Fish. All what I plan to eat.

It's like re-teaching myself that it's ok to say NO to sweets and know I have that Power.

Just haveing the treats around is bad. A piece of good advice my trainer told me was either waste it in the trash or waist it around your gut!
  • notrocketscience
    Options
    I am 55 and have been on "diets" for 40 years that I could never stick with because there was always something that I was making "forbidden" to eat. Thus I always ended up craving it specifically and I never lost any weight that stayed off. 3 months ago it was like a lightbulb did go on over my head, and I just started "living" a healthy lifestyle. 6 days a week in a gym and counting calories. Even though I "limit" the treats now, NO treat is forbidden. I tell myself ALL things are permissable, but not ALL things are beneficial. It is the most liberating thing I've ever done. I now have a peace over food decisions. I have lost 27 pounds in 3 mos. Hope you find your balance and what works for you!
  • SweetMegz04
    Options

Go Self Control!! lol

Just haveing the treats around is bad. A piece of good advice my trainer told me was either waste it in the trash or waist it around your gut!

I Agree & I plan on re-gifting them Christmas Eve.. I am going to two parties
  • neenie12
    Options
    a few years ago, I decided that for lent I was going to give up chocolate, candy, cookies, cakes, fries and chips. I managed it - it was extremely hard for me!!!! - but afterwards, I found that I didn't crave it as much as i used to. I do eat them every now and again (the chocolate more than the others!!) but I try not to go overboard. You have to find the balance that is best for you. It's good that you have people to give the treats to though - I find it a lot easier if they aren't in the house!!!
  • PattiUnleashed
    PattiUnleashed Posts: 37 Member
    Options

Hi,
    I relate. I finally have deemed myself a sugar addict. I act the same way towards it as an alcoholic towards alcohol. You may want to check out Radiantrecovery.com

HTH. :)
  • SweetMegz04
    Options
    a few years ago, I decided that for lent I was going to give up chocolate, candy, cookies, cakes, fries and chips. I managed it - it was extremely hard for me!!!! - but afterwards, I found that I didn't crave it as much as i used to. I do eat them every now and again (the chocolate more than the others!!) but I try not to go overboard. You have to find the balance that is best for you. It's good that you have people to give the treats to though - I find it a lot easier if they aren't in the house!!!

Thankfully I do have people to re-gift to! I really wanted to die when I walked in the office, I was like "awww gifts" but then "omg, Noooo!!" lol it was a fight of emotions..
  • SweetMegz04
    Options

Hi,
    I relate. I finally have deemed myself a sugar addict. I act the same way towards it as an alcoholic towards alcohol. You may want to check out Radiantrecovery.com

HTH. :)

i will check this out, you're the second person to recomend it to me!! :)
  • Crystal_R84
    Crystal_R84 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hm...no such thing as a sweet tooth! LOL It's will power! LOL THat's what someone told me once because I LOVE LOVE LOVE sweets and whhhhelp....they were right I need to say No to processed sugars...You still need fruits which contain natural sugars but still I would continue to read up on the whole "detox" thang! =-)
  • inatay7
    inatay7 Posts: 141
    Options
    Im sorry I wasnt bother to read 2 pages worth of posts but getting rid of sugar was the best thing I ever did. I totally support you giving it a go. If you're really interested..... I would really recommend David Gillespie's Sweet poison.