not feeling full by eating healthy

Options
hi MFP frnds
i have a problem i dnt feel full on 1200 calories if i at very healthy but if i eat junk i feel full but my hair start to fall so i have started to eat healthy but last night was a nightmare when i had to get up at 1 n drink milk which is nt good at all. i dnt like nuts so is there anything that will keep me full for longer?

thanks for any help

Replies

• Pinkmaddycat
    Pinkmaddycat Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi

I am not surprised!! your diary looks so bare....eating healthy can be so much better than just veg and fruit.

Rice and pastas, wholemeal would be fine. Meats.

Id never be able to stick to cals with a diary like yours.....this is just me, what do you mean when you say 'junk' ?? cals is cals so long as you get enough good nutrients and don't go mental on fat everything can go
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I had a look at your diary and it appears that you aren't eating enough, which would explain why you are feeling hungry. You should be eating at least your 1200 calories a day, and you were well under that every day that I looked at.

Also, it takes a while to get used to a change in your eating habits. Your body will crave junk at first, but after a few weeks you should find an improvement.

Adding more protein into your diet will help you feel more satisfied for longer.

I hope that helps. :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    More protein and fiber! More lean meats, more fiber-rich veggies, etc.

I also suggest eating a little more (closer to 1300 or 1400).
  • sm_4ever17
    sm_4ever17 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    thanx 4 ur help ladies i'll definitely try to eat more protein n calories off course
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    More fat as well. Don't be afraid of dietary fat. IT doesn't make you fat.

Try to get 0.35 grams of fat per 1 lb body weight
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Definitely get some lean protein in there (meat if you can, if you're a vegetarian, I'm sure another veggie person can suggest something that's not nuts). Eating less calories does not necessarily equal eating healthy - you need to make sure you're getting all the nutrients you need!

Beyond that, did you start doing 1200 calories when your diary starts? Ie, a couple of days ago? If so, depending on what you were eating before, you may be hungry for a few days while your body adjusts. When I switched from eating probably 2500-3000 calories a day to a net of 1200, I was constantly starving. Within a week at most, it got much better.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    More protein as others have said
    More fibre as well...but make sure you're drinking lots of water with it, it will help it to make you feel more full.

I'm also on 1200 calories, you're welcome to take a look at my diary if you want (be forewarned, I don't always eat perfectly healthy, and with it being Christmas season I have eaten some junk, and a couple of days I went over due to big celebrations. But it'll give you some ideas maybe, I am rarely hungry.)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein and fiber. Also drink more while you eat.
  • OneLuckyRabbit
    OneLuckyRabbit Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I always have a full-fat Greek yogurt in the morning to help me feel full through the entire day. Just eating fruits and veggies will leave you filling empty in a matter of hours and is going to sabotage you just as much as eating pure junk food. Work on finding that happy medium. And good luck!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Rice and beans: very filling, great for you. I'm also a vegetarian and a good part of my diet comes from whole grains, pasta, bread, etc. Healthy fats like oil and avocado mixed in will help keep you full. You can change your diary settings to help you track different things like vitamins, minerals, fiber, etc.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Why do you think milk is bad?
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem at times. I eat a one-egg/two egg white omelette, with about 1 full chopped green pepper and one whole chopped tomato (not huge), and 1/4 cup chopped onion, with 1 ounce of light cream cheese and fresh basil if I have it. It's low calorie, and absolutely STUFFS me. One of the most guilt-free ways of filling up for me.
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    I had this problem.... I felt like I needed carbs (bread, crackers, pretzels etc) to feel full. What worked for me was to have a small salad with lunch and dinner. I HATE MAKING SALADS but I eat so much better when I include one with my meals. Try it, you might find that it helps you feel full too.
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    There's an amazing list of proteins in this thread, which is why I saved it. Hope it helps!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/423743-whats-your-favorite-easy-amd-portable-protein
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You are probably under eating. Based on your ticker, I would change your goal to .5 lb per week. And look into doing more body recomposition rather than weight loss. Also, do you eat your exercise calories back?
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I drink at least 80oz of water per day this helps keep me at 1200cal and full.
  • KrimsonFury1
    KrimsonFury1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Your water intake should be helping you in this area too. I'm not a big fan of water, so I also keep a bottle of Minute Maid Lemon Juice concentrate with me for my water bottles or sometimes i'll rip a few mint leaves and put them in my water so it's easier to drink for me... Hope that helps you too... I also keep the little fruit cups (in real juice) in me desk at work... the mandarin oranges are like 40-45 cals per cup and I'll eat one of those if I'm feeling hungry in between meals... I also eat very small portions 6 times a day. I try to break them up by calories 150/50/150/50/150 per meal/snack... that way I'm eating all day and by the time I'm feeling it, it is time for the next snack or meal.
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    i was on 1200 healthy choice before my surgery and was never ever hungry... my meals were balanced well planned to keep an even level throughout the day. Since surgery i am on liquids and thats between 600-800 cal. I am never ever hungry even on those cals. i balance my protein through the day... and that sustains me.
  • bwalters82
    Options
    Why are you eating food you don't enjoy? You will burn out by doing this. Find healthy foods that you enjoy eating, and eat more than 1200!
  • danmoffett
    Options
    Hair loss? Sounds like a wheat problem. Cut out the wheat, cut out the sugars, cut out the starches.
    Don't worry about counting calories, count carbs instead.
    Eal lots of fats, eat protein, eat green leafy vegetables.
    Read a book called "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis, you can get it on Amazon.com
    I've lost 145 pounds in the past 21 months. My hair is doing fine, and I feel great.
    Read my blog for my story.
    I wish you success.

Dan