Muscle group seperations for workouts (isolation and compoun

Options
Hi All

I am just in the progress of creating a new workout routine for myself and having a hard time seperating isolation from compound exercises.

I want to seperate 3 days as follows:

1. Chest/Tris
(isolation)

2. Back/Bis
(isolation)

3. Arms (compound)

1. Any ideas on what isolation exercises are good for the first two? I keep coming up with great compound ideas but have an issue brainstorming focual isolation exercises.

2. Do you think doing a compound day is necessary - or should i merely include the compound exercises in the split days?

My other days are:

4. Shoulders

5. Legs/ Glutes

6. Core

Thanks all :)

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Are you planning to do all isolation exercises for your back and chest? Or, do you simply want to add a few isolation exercises for the back and chest in addition to the staple chest and back compound exercises (eg bench press, chin-up)?
  • chris_elizabeth
    chris_elizabeth Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hey!

Ideally I just want to have a tricep focused day and a bicep focused PLUS a compound arms day.
    I just grouped triceps with chest and biceps with back for the isolated days.
  • JonAntony
    Options
    On a 5 day training split the only way to target the arms twice a week is to isolate them on there corresponding primary muscle groups and then make it a compound day on their own.

I.E.

Back day and finish off with isolating the Bi. Its the secondary muscle group when using back and this day will allow you to target the arm also.

Chest day then finish off with isolated triceps. Again this is the secondary muscle when training chest.

Arm day, focus on a majority of compound movements and then flood the muscle with one or two isolation movements at the end.

Make sense?
  • JonAntony
    Options
    Remember that multi joint movements are compound as single joint movements are isolation.

Single arm cable extension
    reverse tri pull down
    rope pull down
    side cable extension
    single arm/dual arm preacher curl
    cable curl
    rope hammer curl
    cambered bar cable curl

All of these only use the elbow as their area of movement..... that is a single joint.

Close grip bench press
    skull crushers
    dips
    are multi joint movements.