How bad is your tax rate where YOU live ??

Options

Replies

• Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Income tax = 42%
    PRSI (health care levy) = 13%
    Pension = 13%
    Income levy = 2%

VAT (sales tax) = 25%
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    We're taxed based on earnings as well. I personally paid 27% in income tax alone. Pretty sure the sales tax is 14% and we still have property tax, special tax for cars, tires, booze, you name it.

Don't even get me started on fuel expenses. Which do NOT subsidize some fantastic transit system, btw.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Husband and I pay about 35% in federal income tax plus 17% capitol gains tax on our investments. Our sales tax is 6%, but our property tax is about 2.4% of appraised value per year (equates to $5,500 in taxes on a $250,000 house). We live in Miami, Florida.
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    We're taxed based on earnings as well. I personally paid 27% in income tax alone. Pretty sure the sales tax is 14% and we still have property tax, special tax for cars, tires, booze, you name it.

Don't even get me started on fuel expenses. Which do NOT subsidize some fantastic transit system, btw.

I merely included income tax.
    Include property tax, sales tax, investments, etc and I think the Govt powers me money!
  • staceyb2003
    staceyb2003 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    In the U.S. it is gratuated according to earnings; less deductions. Half of Americans pay zero percent income tax. Mind you they may not be wage earners; nevertheless half pay zero. I would say that most "average" households with incomes less than $100,000 in income, and some deductions (Children, charitable giving, interest on mortgage, etc.) probably pay an "effective" tax rate of around 15% give or take. With no deductions, (just the standard) probably less than 25%. This is on the Federal Level. Then some States have an income tax (3%-8% probably), then there are State sales tax in most States (3%-8% again), and I believe NYC has a City income tax. Then add property taxes, which vary widely, state to state, city to city. Then add Social Security tax. Man I gotta stop, this is depressing..............

This

I do taxes, not only do some people not pay tax but they get more back then they paid in from their income.
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    The top 10% of wage earners pay over 70% of the tax burden. If you are in that 10%, I just wanted to say thank you! Honorable mention to us in the top 25% - We pay close to 90% of the freight. Yet the bottom 75% want more.......Sad state of affiars, and the band played on.....................When you have a government that robs Peter to pay Paul, they will always have Paul's co-operation.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    The top 10% of wage earners pay over 70% of the tax burden. If you are in that 10%, I just wanted to say thank you! Honorable mention to us in the top 25% - We pay close to 90% of the freight. Yet the bottom 75% want more.......Sad state of affiars, and the band played on.....................When you have a government that robs Peter to pay Paul, they will always have Paul's co-operation.

Exactly right. And the top 10% is probably the majority of employers too.
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    According to a recent BBC article I pay approximately £7k - £10k more in tax each year than I receive back in services.

I dread to think how much I actually pay in tax each year when it's all added together. I'm not going to work it out because it'll just make me mad! :explode:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    This is why America is struggling right now. People look at it as the government taking from them, instead of looking at it is an investment into their quality of life. We are afraid of socialized anything. We don't want "lazy welfare people" to benefit from our hard work. The false belief that the American Dream of working hard and getting rich is still attainable prevents people from wanting to put a higher tax on the rich and force wealthy corporations sitting on huge profits to pay their share of taxes and better distribute the country's wealth. Instead, the middle class carries the tax burden and more and more people are falling into poverty.

How is this an investment for me? I get nothing back, I get hardly anything for a tax refund, I pay into a Ponzi scheme called Social security that will be bankrupt before I get my share.

The American dream is possible but people ARE lazy and people have become dependant on the government. There was a time when people HAD to work for a living, had to do what was necessary to provide for their family. ::Gasp:: Even work two jobs if needed! I'm a 24 year old single mom and I don't rely on anyone but myself to support my son. It makes me sick that I bust my rear and struggle just for the government to take from me and give to someone with else.
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    In light of all this - keep an eye on expected holiday bonus' - some payroll companies are withholding income taxes as if you've received those wages all year rather than a one-time increase.

S/T rate here is 6.35% - just increased in July '11. I pay apprx 4.25% in state income taxes. I've chosen to withhold additional federal IT as a sort of "piggy bank" for my 2011 Tax Return. I was living in NJ last year where they have a slew of additional tax deductions that REALLY added up.
  • janna674
    janna674 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I live in New York State...I believe we are one of the highest taxed states....

We pay 25% Federal filing jointly marrried making over 85000

We pay 6.85 % to NY Income tax

We pay 8% sales tax

We own a modest house 1800 sq ft....pay about $3800 in Taxes on that a year ...house worth $150000
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I'm in California and we have one of the highest tax rates, but it's funny our state is still broke
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Florida has no state income tax. We pay a 6% sales tax on most things (except the groceries that aren't deemed "junk food"). We get a once a year sale tax holiday on clothing and school supplies for a few days in August.

My family usually ends up paying very little in Federal taxes after all of the available credits and deductions. I think after refunds last year we had paid in less than $100. Our tax system is totally messed up.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    it's not bad because it goes to things that we need/will need in the future. You have to pay taxes, quit whining about it already.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    it's not bad because it goes to things that we need/will need in the future. You have to pay taxes, quit whining about it already.

A topic like this is going to create discussion, that doesn't mean that people are whining.... We'll see what you say about it AFTER you have paid taxes for years like many in the conversation, not just a couple.
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    We may all have very different tax rates, because it is not only dependant upon where you earn your income, but how much. Here in Ontario there we have a tiered equation for calculating and paying income tax.

The purchasing power of each of our earned dollars will also vary, after taxes. Sales taxes for instance varies from place to place .. Much is dependant upon the cost of living in your general location. So even if I make the same in income as someone from another Province or State .. I may not have the same purchasing power.
  • PKempy
    PKempy Posts: 14
    Options
    Not income tax, but it might as well be if you drive a car:-

At the moment in the UK we pay at the gas station (converted to US gallons and dollars):

$8.34 per gallon, of which $4.85 is tax!!
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Total tax revenue as percentage of GDP (2009)
    17 Mexico
    18 Chile
    24 United States
    25 Turkey
    26 Korea
    26 Australia
    27 Japan
    28 Ireland
    29 Slovak Republic
    30 Switzerland
    30 Greece
    31 Portugal
    31 Spain
    31 Israel
    32 New Zealand
    32 Poland
    32 Canada
    34 OECD Total
    34 Iceland
    34 United Kingdom
    35 Czech Republic
    36 Estonia
    37 Germany
    37 Slovenia
    38 Luxembourg
    38 Netherlands
    40 Hungary
    42 France
    43 Finland
    43 Austria
    43 Norway
    43 Belgium
    43 Italy
    47 Sweden
    48 Denmark
    Direct tax (Income, profit, capital gain, social security, property) revenue as a percentage of GDP
    45 Mexico
    49 Chile
    50 Turkey
    55 Hungary
    56 Israel
    60 Portugal
    60 Estonia
    61 New Zealand
    62 Ireland
    62 Slovenia
    62 Korea
    63 Greece
    63 Slovak Republic
    63 Iceland
    63 Sweden
    64 Austria
    66 Czech Republic
    67 Japan
    67 Denmark
    68 Finland
    69 United Kingdom
    69 Italy
    69 France
    70 Germany
    72 Norway
    72 Spain
    73 Luxembourg
    74 Canada
    74 Belgium
    78 Switzerland
    82 United States
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Second title should be:
    Direct tax (Income, profit, capital gain, social security, property) as a percentage of total tax revenue

Source:OECD
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    i live in japan and i have to pay an extra ~25% markup because the yen-dollar rate is so poor >-< tax...pshhh haven't even thought of that as i don't want to think of it haha