Protein powder/supplement recommendation?

Options
So.. I'm severely lacking in protein and would really like to go from 'counting calories' to cleaning up my diet and getting in some more protein. I'm going to begin exercising soon. I typically eat most of my calories at dinner, and would be really stoked to get in some protein in the beginning of the day because right now I'm just eating a banana and peanut butter mid-day.

Does anyone have some good recommendations of palatable, affordable protein supplements, and how to best use them? And what to expect for side effects in the digestion department? Thanks so much!! :)

Replies

• _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    SHAKEOLOGY!!

Oh wait, you said affordable. Nevermind.
  • Ashalena
    Ashalena Posts: 162
    Options
    I use Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60. It's like 90 cals per scoop. i use it as meal supplement. They have tons of different flavors
  • EddieG77
    EddieG77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I love Optimum Nutrition's 100% Gold Standard whey vanilla ice-cream flavor....it is a tad high on the price but so very worth it....I get it at GNC....
  • EddieG77
    EddieG77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    SHAKEOLOGY!!

Oh wait, you said affordable. Nevermind.

^^^ So true!!!
  • Pace29
    Pace29 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I also use GNC AMP 60- Chocolate Flavor at home or at work for breakfast I mix Gaspari Nutrition Myofusion Chocolate Milk flavor with my oatmeal. GNC has less cals if you are watching cal intake while myofusion has a better taste but is higher in cals (150 per scoop v 93 cals a scoop for GNC)
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Nature's Life Soy Protein - Super-Green Pro-96
  • kblair001
    Options
    I tried powder shakes for a while and found I prefer premix (shots, drinks, No or Low fat, No Carb/No Sugar) or Bars. These are more expensive than mixing shakes but saves time for me and are easier to carry to work and the gym.

Body Fortress Super Protein Shots 26g /0 sugar/0 carb/ 0 fat in 2.9oz Fruit punch flavored shots (No mixing and good value at Walmart, look for box of 6 for $10)

Pure Protein Chocolate peanut butter Bars @ Walmart (20g /6g Fat/16g carb) boxes of 6 bars for $6 (I user these to fill in for a snack or meal if needed)

IDS 42 Gram Protein Shots /0 sugar/0 carb/ 0 fat @ GNC

Nature's Best Isopure Zero Carb drinks with 40g
  • ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I love Optimum Nutrition's 100% Gold Standard whey vanilla ice-cream flavor....it is a tad high on the price but so very worth it....I get it at GNC....

This one surprised me when I first tried it. I was expecting a plug (my nose) and chug but It actually tasted awesome. I usually have to force feed myself a shake if I mix it with water (I use milk or OJ most of the time) but this brand got it right with the vanilla ice-cream flavor :)
  • HealthyAcademic
    HealthyAcademic Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I use Garden of Life RAW protein. It doesn't have any flavor or added sugars so you have to mix it with things (I have done it with just water and gagged).
  • cmoe25027
    cmoe25027 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use muscle milk chocolate. It is more of a meal replacement than a straight protein supplement. Main reason I use it is it actually tastes good, even when just mixed with skim milk in a shaker cup, but if you blend the powder with milk, ice, a scoop of peanut butter and a banana, it tastes like LOVE!

Cheers,
    Collin
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    The bodybuilders for the most part have a general consensus of:

Gaspari Myofusion
    TruNutrition Trutein
    Xtreme Formulations
    ON Whey
    iForce Protean

seem to be the big brands named off a lot. I've tried them all but iForce. Trutein is my personal favorite.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Nature's Life Soy Protein - Super-Green Pro-96

men shouldnt eat alot of soy

google it
  • khua0808
    Options
    You could always stick with the basic gold standard Opti Nutrition Chocolate whey!
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options

I use this ON Gold Standard as well, but I order mine from Amazon. They have some that are all natural and those are the ones I go with. The vanilla, chocolate and strawberry are all pretty good flavor-wise.
  • minnie2714
    Options
    I like Jay Robb protein shakes. I make my own almond milk to mix with them. My favorites are vanilla and strawberry.
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    Gaspari Myofusion
  • Cueball55
    Cueball55 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Gaspari Myofusion +1

It is a very nice and clean blend of fast and slow digesting protiens. Does a decent job with volume too (in terms of making you feel half decently full).

If you are looking for a pure isolate, I highly recommend Ultimate Nutrition's IsoSensation 93. Great bang for buck in terms of good quality and quantity protien. Very clean.

In terms of digestion side-effects (I read GAS), I think each individual reacts differently, but I also believe (completely unscientific non-expert opinion) that you get used to it and it subsides after some time.