Best Brand Dark Chocolate?!

Options

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    For dark chocolate candy I like Lindt's 60% Extra Dark truffles. As long as you limit yourself to 1-2 of them, it works well. I also like most of the lindt bars that are 72% or lower. Green and Black, Chocolove, and Ghiradelli also makes excellent dark chocolate in all sorts of yummy flavors. I love dark chocolate as long as it isn't over 72% (it gets bitter to me if it's darker than that).
    yeah I have heard that after about 70 something percent it is much stronger. Now I was always a milk chocolate girl but lately I have seen the error of my ways so to speak. ;p I think I am just gonna go on a chocolate quest and I will post the various ones I have tried here. I agree with the other poster that said if you eat more cleanly the intense bitterness won't put you off and you can taste the chocolate more naturally. I am going to try one tonight I'll let you all know how it goes! ;) Thanks everyone for the awesome suggestions and feedback! I can live without many things but my friends chocolate is NOT one of them! XD
    Looking forward to hearing how you like it and which brand you chose to try out first.:flowerforyou: I agree with those that have shared the dark chocolate is enjoyable once you've changed your foods up. I used to think I never liked dark, then realized I had never tried quality dark chocolate, once I gave up the milk chocolate the dark chocolate square was sufficient for a treat.

Lots of familiar brands here, some new types within the brands I'm looking forward to trying.:love: I DO love the Chili Pepper Dark, wow, very nice combo! Also have tried the dark chocolate with cherries, nice as well. Not tried the Lavender Dark yet though.. I've seen it, picked it up and swapped it out for the Chili Pepper since I knew that was a freaky awesome combo that I'd enjoyed in the past.:tongue: I can see after all your wonderful suggestions I need to branch out more.

I agree Quality Dark chocolate is pricier BUT one small square is plenty for me to feel I've had my chocolate fix (so in the end it's not as pricey as what I used to do with Hershey's kisses and the crumbled foil left in a pile:blushing: :laugh: ), the rest of the bar goes in the freezer. What a great PMS treat... it's magical!:smoking: :love: :laugh:

Thanks for bringing up this topic, it's been great fun seeing brands others enjoy...and getting new ideas.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    Endangered Species brand. My favorite is Black Panther - 88%. Not for everyone. The less sugar, fat and salt you eat, the more you taste the actual food - so you're more likely to enjoy really dark chocolate if you eat pretty cleanly.
    I have also heard that a little bit of salt brings out the flavor. I wonder if that is actually factual though.

That is true - a true indulgence for me is salted dark chocolate or salted dark chocolate with almonds - but I try to stick to super dark because two squares are immensely satisfying. I was referring to just general salt in your diet. Of course we need some, but too much salt just makes you want more - especially because a person becomes used to food tasting salty, and then plain or herb seasoned food doesn't taste good to them.
    Great points have not run across the dark sea salt variety, nor the Ginger or Orange Peel but look forward to it, thanks! I'll steer away from the blueberry ones then. :wink:

I also appreciate the member chiming in about reading the 70% being a good ratio...never had heard which one was a better ratio...so that's interesting. Gonna Google more about Dark Chocolates.

For some reason dark chocolate is calming to me unlike the old days of Milk Chocolate, now those...those were scary days because that was before I started lowering my salt, fat levels (aka MFP/healthy eating!) and all that jazz so one piece led to a pile of foil wrappers.:sad:

Of course I'm sure none of you can relate to that, right?:blushing: :bigsmile:

Safe chocolate is the yummiest chocolate:smooched:
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    These are probably not the "healthy" kinds of dark chocolate you are looking for, but I really liked the Dark chocolate reese cups.. not as sweet as the normal ones, although I haven't seen them recently.

The dark chocolate peanut m&ms are also good, but very hard to find!
  • KrisPage
    KrisPage Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    bump lots of great ideas now Thanks for the topic
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    my most favorite EVER was a bar of dark chocolate with chilli and cherry. I cant remember if it was Lindt or Girhadelli or what brand (i know it was a nice big bar) and i loved loved loved it! It was given to me a long time ago and i havent ever found one the same as it. I think it was 72% cocoa.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate chips have a permanent place in our freezer. I think they're about 60% cacao but they don't contain milk like the dark chocolate ones do. Go figure.
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Ghiradelli squares. They're a good portion size and very, very tasty.
  • chyloet
    chyloet Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My new discovery/fave ... Simply Lite Sugar Free 50% cacao (no trans fat and gluten free, too!). It's pretty tasty : )
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    my most favorite EVER was a bar of dark chocolate with chilli and cherry. I cant remember if it was Lindt or Girhadelli or what brand (i know it was a nice big bar) and i loved loved loved it! It was given to me a long time ago and i havent ever found one the same as it. I think it was 72% cocoa.
    I know exactly which one you're talking about... I'll let you know the brand when I'm over that way. That was the one I think I was referring to when I said chili peppers, you've now reminded me the cherry one and the chili peppers were in the same bar!

Nice combo isn't it? I'll be sure and let your know the brand so you'll be able to snag one again in your area.:bigsmile:
  • Lunalucina
    Options
    Lindt Dark Chocolate or Lindt Dark Chocolate with Sea Salt - Dove Promises are fantastic as well! The Lindt chocolate is 70% cocoa.

^^ Agreed with the Lindt, both are my favorites.
    The Endangered Species ones are good as well.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Chocolove dark chocolate with almonds and sea salt.....absolutely love it! The salt brings out the sweetness without as much sugar.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I'm not a serious chocolate freak but a few weeks ago I found a Lindt 90% Cacao bar and bought it. I thought it was great and half the bar was 250 calories. In my case, I don't go out of the way to buy chocolate, what's at the grocery stores in my area is what I end up buying so Lindt or Ghiradelli are usually what I go with.
  • danipals
    danipals Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree with the Dove Dark Chocolate Promises. They are so silky on the tongue that they take a little while to eat and are just delicious. One or two completely satisfy!
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I know exactly which one you're talking about... I'll let you know the brand when I'm over that way. That was the one I think I was referring to when I said chili peppers, you've now reminded me the cherry one and the chili peppers were in the same bar!

Nice combo isn't it? I'll be sure and let your know the brand so you'll be able to snag one again in your area.:bigsmile:

http://www.lindt.com/ca/swf/eng/products/bars/filled-chocolate/creation-70-cherry-chili/

Shame it has artificial flavor -- I'd like to try it.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I like purdy's dark......reg dark is 60% (I think) they also have a 70% and an 80% and all of them are delicious.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I like the Endangered Species brand I have gotten up to 88% dark in that brand. It's about $3.00 a bar at Hy-Vee, but if you don't have a Hy-Vee I know they sell it online to. Lindt 90% isn't bad either and it's probably a litter easier to get. I have seen it at Wal-Mart and Target. I also got some dark chocolate that was Giradehli (sorry I can't remember how to spell it!) and it was dark chocolate and sea salt. If you like sweet and salty it is amazing. I found that at Target.
  • hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I like Equal Exchange Very Dark Chocolate 71%. They also make a chocolate mint bar that reminds me of the Mystic Mint cookies I used to love as a child.
  • GreenLifeGirl
    GreenLifeGirl Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Lindt's 85% cocoa
    Ghirardelli's 86% cocoa

Both amazing...I eat at least one square a day!
  • toniRAD
    toniRAD Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I also agree with Endangered Species. I get the 72% one.

I want to try these Dove chocolates now though!
    :)
  • LondonCalling
    LondonCalling Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm going to add to the list of Green & Blacks fans...85% cocoa...and somehow it doesn't have that terrible taste that you sometimes get when they add too much cocoa? If that makes any sense?

Strong but not to strong :)