Yoga?

Options
What are the benefits of yoga? I have been wanting to try it, maybe just home for now, but I wondering what people who have done it have gained personally from it (flexability, muscle, ect.). Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, I know absolutely nothing about yoga lol

Replies

• TBHunter
    Options
    Yoga= Love!

I started doing yoga class in September to bring up my amount of activity in the week. I go to class once a week for 90 minutes and have seen many changes!

The main changes I have seen are:

My flexibility has increased 10 fold! I can bend in ways I NEVER though my body would ever bend.

My muscle are lean. This is a big thing for me, as I do not like the look of large muscles on women! And it has been the only thing that has taken the weight off my thighs!

But the biggest thing is how much it allows me to relax. Yoga class for me is the chance to unwind, forget about the stress of my final year of my degree and just be in tune with my body. I allows me to fully relax, and my sleep following yoga is always the best of the week!

Yoga is some thing that anyone can do.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    ^^ This. It's great for so many reasons: Strength, balance, flexibility, focus. Try it!!
  • scarlettd12
    scarlettd12 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question!! I just started looking into the local yoga studio in town and was wondering what the benefits were. It is pretty pricey for me ($12-15 per class) but if it is beneficial, I would be willing to do it. My big thing is my neck has been bothering me. I think it is from the way I sleep. But I was hoping yoga might help.

How often should a person do yoga? Is once a week enough to see results?

Anyone have any thoughts on Pilates as well?
  • mama_to_1
    mama_to_1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i also wondered about the calming and relaxing-ness (is that a word? lol). it seems like it would be a great stress reliever. i have the p90x videos. i have not done the whole program, just use the dvds here and there wen i feel like since i prefer to go to the gym. but i think i will start doing the yoga dvd 2 times a week to try it out before i jump into a class! thanks for the info!
  • floweringcurrant
    floweringcurrant Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy bikram yoga, also known as "hot yoga," which is an hour and a half class done in a room heated to about 100 degrees. Taking this class has helped with back problems, flexibility, my skin, toning my body, increasing my strength, as well as some mental clarity/stress release. I really like it.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    bend and bump !
  • val205
    val205 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question!! I just started looking into the local yoga studio in town and was wondering what the benefits were. It is pretty pricey for me ($12-15 per class) but if it is beneficial, I would be willing to do it. My big thing is my neck has been bothering me. I think it is from the way I sleep. But I was hoping yoga might help.

How often should a person do yoga? Is once a week enough to see results?

Anyone have any thoughts on Pilates as well?

I :heart: yoga, I think twice a week gets more benefit but once a week is enough to still get benefit from it. For your neck, try a different pillow :)
  • sp53
    sp53 Posts: 40
    Options
    Not a dumb question at all! I often hear people criticize yoga for being "just" about stretching or inner peace. A good teacher will help you get lean and strong; you will pant and sweat AND become more flexible. I really recommend trying it; there are many good teachers around who are often inexpensive. Check out middle aged or elderly yoga practiioners if you don't believe me about lean and strong.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Depending on the type of yoga you can get a really good strength workout. Some people think yoga is lame because it is mostly about stretching, but stretching is VERY important! Most people do not stretch enough so adding yoga is a good way to do more. And flexibility is important as well.
  • mama_to_1
    Options
    currently my work-out schedule is going to the gym 3 days a week (mon, wed, fri) and on the other days i will normally do a p90x workout at home (mostly the ab ripper). so i think i will do yoga two times a week (like maybe tues and thurs).

the heated yoga sounds interesting! i love being super hot! :tongue: :happy:
  • mama_to_1
    Options
    has anyone done the p90x yoga dvd? what do you think about it? i think that is what i will start with (since i already have it)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy bikram yoga, also known as "hot yoga," which is an hour and a half class done in a room heated to about 100 degrees. Taking this class has helped with back problems, flexibility, my skin, toning my body, increasing my strength, as well as some mental clarity/stress release. I really like it.

I've never tried bikram yoga, but I like the hatha yoga I've tried...how does the hot yoga help your skin? When I sweat that much (from excessive heat) I tend to break out more...just curious...
  • NomNomCupcakes
    NomNomCupcakes Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I used to do a lot of yoga!! It is really easy to get into! I only learned it through reading and youtube.
    It's great for balance, aligning your digestive tract, calms you down, stretches you out, etc.
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    I love it - it's my only workout.

I practice at a studio and I do 3 hot power yoga classes (75 mins) and 1 restorative class (90 mins) per week.

I can't say enough about it - like another poster said I prefer to be long and lean with defined muscle (I'm not looking for a "muscular look"). I have lost 2-3 inches off every part of my body even my "pooch" is much smaller and I have defined upper abs, and my as* is no longer sliding down my legs.

I also love the serenity of it - I can go into class with the weight of the world on me and leave so light. You have to be completely present when you do yoga to be able to stay in the pose, if your mind wanders, you can't balance.

My only suggestion is to try a studio before doing it at home because alot of the videos don't go into detail about placement of feet, hips, knees etc and you could injure yourself. A lot of studios will offer a free class to newcomers or get a punchcard for a few sessions.
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options

Oh I miss yoga!
  • jnanof
    jnanof Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have done the P90X yoga. Its great because it focuses on your weaknesses but also points out your improvements too. One complaint people have is that it is too long. There is another version called Fountain of youth found under One on One with Tony Horton volume one I think. Just do your best and forget the rest :)
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Bikram "hot" yoga makes me :D Seriously, whenever I feel so stressed or irritable, I go to yoga and feel immediately better. I can clear my mind, and relax.
  • floweringcurrant
    Options
  • floweringcurrant
    Options

I've never tried bikram yoga, but I like the hatha yoga I've tried...how does the hot yoga help your skin? When I sweat that much (from excessive heat) I tend to break out more...just curious...

I think for me it is the opposite. I have noticed the sweating to really help clear out my skin. I think it might also have something to do with the amount of water I drink before/during/after the class.
  • 65PONY
    65PONY Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Supposed to improve felexiablity, but I dont bend that way :-)