How to get that 6 pack???

Options
Can anyone give some exercises/tip to get that chizzled 6 pack??

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Moderate calorie deficit, weightlifting, and patience.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

^ This. I just came in here to see what koosdel would say. I was expecting a beer joke =)
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options

Also, make sure not to forget lots of cardio!

And, if weights are not your thing then lots of body weight exercises like yoga or calisthenics.

Lastly, don't forget to have fun!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You can do ab exercises till your blue in the face.. but if the layer of fat is still there, then the abs won't show.

Eat at a calorie deficit, and do a combo of cardio/weights to burn the fat.. and if you are lucky, then they will show.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options

But just weights wont give me the 6 pack? Dont I need to target the abs mainly?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Also, make sure not to forget lots of cardio!

And, if weights are not your thing then lots of body weight exercises like yoga or calisthenics.

Lastly, don't forget to have fun!

You do not need a lots of cardio, the caloric deficit can be from diet alone, or a combination of diet and exercise. Some MFPers with six packs do little to no cardio. I myself only do 20 min twice/week one day HIIT the other day a 3-4K fast run.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    If you live in Ontario, hit up an LCBO.
  • Nicola0000
    Options
    If you live in Ontario, hit up an LCBO.

Im in the UK, rubbish!!!
  • monty_williams
    Options
    Get your BF% down to the low teens or lower. Ab's are made in the kitchen, not the gym.
  • Nicola0000
    Options
    You can do ab exercises till your blue in the face.. but if the layer of fat is still there, then the abs won't show.

Eat at a calorie deficit, and do a combo of cardio/weights to burn the fat.. and if you are lucky, then they will show.

Im at my goal weight, 5'7 and 131lbs. But now want to convert the last bit of fat into lean muscle.
  • wan2b21
    wan2b21 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a six pack. You just need to be able to see it. This means dropping your body fat percentage down to around 10 percent =) you can do situps and crunches all day long and if you are 17-25 percent bf you won't be able to tell that its there. Hope this helps. Healthy eating and Cardio are great ways to drop bf but the best way is strength training so that you build up your muscles and burn calories all day long as opposed to only while doing cardio (while burning muscle if done for too long..)
  • season1980
    season1980 Posts: 129 Member
    Options

But just weights wont give me the 6 pack? Dont I need to target the abs mainly?

Just targeting the abs wont do any good....weightlifting will force you to use your core to stabilize you, this will develop your ab muscles as well as maintain the muscle mass you have while eating at a moderate calorie deficit. The calorie deficit is what will cause fat loss, and the only way to reveal abs is to lose the fat lying over them.
  • Nicola0000
    Options
    Everyone has a six pack. You just need to be able to see it. This means dropping your body fat percentage down to around 10 percent =) you can do situps and crunches all day long and if you are 17-25 percent bf you won't be able to tell that its there. Hope this helps. Healthy eating and Cardio are great ways to drop bf but the best way is strength training so that you build up your muscles and burn calories all day long as opposed to only while doing cardio (while burning muscle if done for too long..)

OK, that makes more sense. So I need to do overall weights to lower my BF%, and not target a specific area?
  • erickirb
    Options

OK, that makes more sense. So I need to do overall weights to lower my BF%, and not target a specific area?

Yes, that's pretty much it.
  • Nicola0000
    Options
    Look out abs, here I come!! (well, after Xmas!!!) :tongue:
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    You cant spot reduce belly fat, sadly. So yes, just keep losing that fat in general. If you get low enough, abs show, providing you arent genetically disposed to store fat in the belly.
  • Nicola0000
    Options
    You cant spot reduce belly fat, sadly. So yes, just keep losing that fat in general. If you get low enough, abs show, providing you arent genetically disposed to store fat in the belly.

Oh yeah, I know thats true unfortunately!! I just didnt know if you needed to do specific exercises eg if you want big biceps, you would focus on biceps curls etc.
  • Crystal_R84
    Crystal_R84 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Clean diet is most important plus strength training and cardio. =-) I don't have perfect abs right now but usually have them (oopps my diet hasn't been the best) Add me as a friend for encouragement!
  • erickirb
    Options
    Clean diet is most important plus strength training and cardio. =-) I don't have perfect abs right now but usually have them (oopps my diet hasn't been the best) Add me as a friend for encouragement!

A clean diet helps, but is not necessary as long as you are in a deficit you will lose the fat.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Im at my goal weight, 5'7 and 131lbs. But now want to convert the last bit of fat into lean muscle.

You can't turn fat into muscle... You can burn fat off, but you can't convert one into the other.