Greek Yogurt Question

Options

Replies

• ChristinaK42
    Options
    Some greek yogurt has more protein than others. I always look at the protein content of all yogurt. Also found out that Yoplait has High Fructose Corn syrup in it. Not a good thing.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    The chobani pineapple yogurt is yummy but my go to is the trader joe's 0% greek yogurt (or Fage 0% greek yogurt) and I add some splenda, blueberries or strawberries and sugar free chocolate syrup (yeah, I have yet to get used to the yogurt taste by itself so need to completely cover it up).

I've wanted to try the pudding or jello mix idea but wasn't sure about the ratio of mix to to yogurt so haven't yet.
  • Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I tried greek yoghurt for the first time fage 0% a few months ago and hated it. Thought I would try it again a few weeks ago. This time with a teaspoon of lower sugar strawberry jam and loved it. I now eat it every day and really ups my protein intake. I can also just eat it on its own now. Who would have thought after I tried and hated it the first time it would now be one of my favourites!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Huh, it never occurred to me that Greek yogurt could have an offensive taste. Is it because it's tangy?

I usually just get regular yogurt and strain it if I need it to be thicker, but my girlfriend sometimes buys the Greek stuff. She recently bought Cabot brand, and I absolutely love the taste-- it's mild, creamy, and slightly smoky.
  • DavePhillip
    DavePhillip Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like Yeo Valley organic greek style Yoghut, and rather than add sugar to the taste, I get the flavour by mixing it with Dorset cereals musilie - the one in the purple box with the flame cherries yum yum.

Greek yogurt, also known as strained yogurt, yogurt cheese or labneh - has a higher protein content and a lower sugar content than unstrained yogurt.

Fage is slightly better than Chobani in my opinion, but you can't find Chobani in the uk, so I use my local producer Yeo valley, which is ok.
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I love the Chobani flavors. They have lots more protein and taste delicious! They also have more sugar, though.

To dress up plain Greek yogurt, I like to add frozen mixed berries and some granola. As much as I love Greek yogurt, I have to add something to the plain stuff to eat it.
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    I've just recently tried Greek yogurt.... and the taste... wow. Hoping I can get past it.

Anyway, on to the question. I currently have Greek Gods plain in the 24oz carton. There is only 4g of protein per serving (4oz). I thought the yogurt was known for better protein content. Do other brands have more protein? I should have checked while at the store... but shopping with 3 kiddos doesn't leave me a lot of time to check things!

a standard serving size of yogurt is 8oz. but, even if you double the serving of your current brand, 8g/serving is a little on the low side for protein count.

the flavored fage, chobani, etc. cups have a ton of fake sugar and carbs that in my opinion, outweigh the benefits of the protein, my vote is plain with fruit or nuts. both chobani and fage have great full, low, and nonfat plain options. i also like zoi brand, its my personal favorite but i don't know that its available everywhere.
  • harriet_tubman
    Options
  • harriet_tubman
    Options
    I go in and out of liking greek yogurt (personally, kroger brand carbmaster spiced pear, cherry, vanilla, vanilla chai are my favorites), but when i do get greek i usually get fage 0% plain and add sugar free jelly to it, and maybe a little splenda. or you can just add sugar or whatever, i just don't want the extra calories.
  • tdmcmains
    tdmcmains Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Chobani. i LOVE the pineapple and the other flavors are also okay (but don't compare to pineapple). I add some whole-grain cereal to mine because i like the crunch in it.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I do get tired of yogurt at some point and switch over to 2% cottage cheese. I mix in a little apple butter for sweetness. Also very high in protein.

I'm with the rest of the mob in that I think Chobani is the best. I've tried other Greek yogurts and I haven't found anything better.

And when I switched back to regular yogurt, it tasted too sweet for my liking.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    i always compare the Nutrition Facts of the same food at the store before i purchase anything :wink:
  • rachelelizabeth88
    rachelelizabeth88 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other comments-- Chobani has a really high protein level. I think around 24 per cup-- if you get the individual cups (6oz) it's 18g
  • deblc6836
    Options
    The Greek Gods with honey is delicious...maybe try adding honey to the plain Greek Gods yogurt you already have?
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    My favorite used to be Chobani until I tried Fage...Oh it is so very good. I do the flavored ones, I just won't torture myself with the plain....
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I get Brown Cow organic greek yogurt. They sell big multi packs at Sam's Club with the strawberry and blueberry flavors. They have 13 g of protein and 130 calories per 5.3 oz cup. A tasty way to eat greek yogurt is to put it in the freezer about an hour before you'll eat it. It partially freezes so you stir it up and it's like eating a creamy, thick frozen yogurt. I keep some frozen solid in the freezer to throw in my lunch bag. By the time lunch time rolls around the yogurt is partially thawed and perfect.
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    Chobani tastes good but I like Oikos flavor better. The Oikos with honey 4- oz. is to die for and only 90 calories, no fat, and high in protein. However, I usually buy it plain and add my own fruit to it ... blueberries, strawberries, banana. If I want to super protein it up I add a little peanut butter. Try it, it is super yummy.

Here is a link so you can compare brands: http://www.livestrong.com/article/432691-a-comparison-of-the-nutritional-protein-in-greek-yogurts/
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    One more thing, my children love the Brown Cow yogurt. The freezing method is perfect because it thickens the yogurt and keeps it from being so messy (they're 5 and 2 years old - my son is too young for solids).
  • andthenwhy
    andthenwhy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You'll have to try out the different brands to find your favorites. I like Voskos and Chobani the best; if you do the plain, sweeten it with honey or agave, and definitely add fresh chopped fruits to the mix.
  • mishmash73
    mishmash73 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Chobani has a lot of sugar in it compared to FAGE. Costco has these frozen berry medly i put in it with a packet of splenda & a few tablespoons of flax seed meal (omega 3)... FAGE has lot more protein. Chobani is over rated for nutritional value