Accents

Options
Elizabeth_C34
Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
Growing up in Southern Kentucky and East Tennessee, my accent is pretty thick. Even after 5 years living in Miami, it's just as thick as it was when I first moved here. My grandmother used to tell me I sound a lot like Loretta Lynn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9eHp7JJgq8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=5W9zQD8KYew

with my high-pitched drawl.

Do you have an accent? If so, what does it sound like?

Replies

• seehawkmomma
    Options
    I dont have an accent but oh man those irish accents.....*drool* I'd probably marry someone for their accent as long as they agreed to talk to me every day :)
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    This is too funny, I was just thinking about this less than an hour ago. I don't have an accent but when I get around my family in Northern Minnesota I pick up theirs very quickly and than it takes me weeks to get rid of!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I dont have an accent but oh man those irish accents.....*drool* I'd probably marry someone for their accent as long as they agreed to talk to me every day :)

I dated an Irish lawyer years ago. I loved hearing him talk!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    This is too funny, I was just thinking about this less than an hour ago. I don't have an accent but when I get around my family in Northern Minnesota I pick up theirs very quickly and than it takes me weeks to get rid of!

My husband is from Baltimore (balmer as he pronounces it), and he always makes fun of me when I get off the phone with my Southern Kentucky relatives because it's so bad afterwards!
  • Pams_Shadow
    Pams_Shadow Posts: 233 Member
    Options

Ditto! I love Irish accents.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I think all accents are sexy.
  • inammorata
    Options
    I'm from the Midwest....I have no accent! ;)
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I'm from Colorado, and have a completely neutral accent. I've been working on getting a Glaswegian one, though. :bigsmile:
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Southern.....I guess prolly a bit twangy with a drawl
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

My husband is from Baltimore (balmer as he pronounces it), and he always makes fun of me when I get off the phone with my Southern Kentucky relatives because it's so bad afterwards!

Haha, my parents and entire extended family are all from Baltimore too (some say "Balmer," my parents say it more like "Baldimor")...my mother "warshes" the dishes, and they drink bottled "wooder."

I don't have any stereotypical accent. I've lived in the South my entire life, yet I say nothing with a southern drawl/twang, and I don't speak Balmer, either...I WASH my dishes and laundry, and I drink WATER, haha. I guess I sound like a stereotypical boring American. :tongue:

Oh, and I love Irish accents, as well!! British accents in general, really. :happy:
  • chubiD
    chubiD Posts: 260
    Options
    I'm Argentinean, and I've only been in the US for longer than a year, of course I have an accent, lol! People immediately notice it, but they usually can't tell where am I from.

(just in case anyone is wondering... my original language is Spanish, not Portuguese; that's Brazil)
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    <
    *Drools over Irish, Italian, English, Australian, Spanish, and French*

I do not think I have a very strong accent. Most people that meet me when I travel are surprised when they find out that I am from Oklahoma.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

Haha, my parents and entire extended family are all from Baltimore too (some say "Balmer," my parents say it more like "Baldimor")...my mother "warshes" the dishes, and they drink bottled "wooder."

I don't have any stereotypical accent. I've lived in the South my entire life, yet I say nothing with a southern drawl/twang, and I don't speak Balmer, either...I WASH my dishes and laundry, and I drink WATER, haha. I guess I sound like a stereotypical boring American. :tongue:

Oh, and I love Irish accents, as well!! British accents in general, really. :happy:

I warsh my dishes and set on the front porch n' drank my suhweet tea. Y'all should come on over and have you some.
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    I have a bit of a mixed accent - born in S England and lived there 'til I was 8 then moved to Northern Ireland until last year and now back in England. So mostly Northern Irish but a bit English too. Some people think I'm Canadian which is random!
  • inammorata
    Options
    I actually have a weakness for men with NY accents, weird I know.
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    PS Everyone has an accent - you can't not have one ;)
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    accents are awesome.. even if they are just regional. :smile:
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I am from St. Lucia and have an accent, honestly not sure what it sounds like..lol, after 17 yrs in the States still strong as ever.
  • inammorata
    Options
    PS Everyone has an accent - you can't not have one ;)

I was joking....a few ppl outside my area have commented on my "accent" lol
  • tnvolsfan74
    tnvolsfan74 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    <
    is an East TN girl......I have the same, thick accent. Several of my friends are from Michigan, Maryland, and PA, and they get a kick out me, but it is just a part of who I am! :flowerforyou: Though, sometimes people want to deduct IQ points when they hear you speak, but it's all good.