Undereating...

Options

Replies

• fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options
    Breakfast is key. You need to up your calories there and that should get your metabolism going for the day. This should help you be more hungry during the day.

Peanuts are packed with calories as are milkshakes. You could add some protein powder to your milkshake to help also (not that I would recommend the sugar and other carbs in icecream) but it will certain help you to get to your calories.
  • Ind3p3dent
    Ind3p3dent Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend undereating to you. I underate in high school and I messed up my metabolism. My body went into famine mode. I thought i was full and I would only have like a rice krispie treat a day. When I got out of high school and moved away I gained 60 pounds in about six months because my body would not process anything that I ate. Now I have 30 pounds left to go but it is a constant struggle to coax my metabolism into functioning. Right now I am up to about 800 calories a day when I should be having 1200. However, my body needs about 400 calories a day. Trust me, it is just not worth it in the end. I will have to constantly track everything I eat and gradually work up to eating like a normal person again.
  • vickyclare96
    vickyclare96 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Wait- you said you do get hungry? But then you look at the calories and decide not to eat the food. If the fact is that you are eating when you are hungry and you just can't eat any more that is a different story than if you are stopping when you are hungry because you're afraid the calories will add up.

One thing I noticed was that you listed that you ate a Quarter Pounder Beef Burger, 1 burger Calories: 185. That seems really low for a quarter pounder. I know the one at McD. is at least 400 cals with no cheese. Is it possible that on the days that you are stuffed you are underestimating the calories you are actually eating?

I'm really glad you are being successful so far. Good luck. Try to pack in the nutrients and make calories secondary. If you are hungry and you are way below your cal limit, eat something nutritious. If you are not hungry, maybe don't sweat it unless you are plateauing in your weight loss and then you may have to bump up your cals. for a while like the previous post said. :flowerforyou:
    The Quarter pounder was a 3% fat burger with no topping or a bun. i just had it plain and dryfried it.

It's also not worth eating the high calorie stuff as I'm scared i will go over loads and don't wanna do that. I tend just to have half a carrot when i get get a bit peckish and this counts as one of my snacks (5 Cals!)
    I never go under 1000 cals as this is silly for me and i really would be hungry but i do have a problem when I get to about 1050 and I'm getting really full but still have another 150 :frown: :frown: :grumble: :sick: For example today i was stuck at 952 cals and decided i couldn't submit that so i ate a chocolate bar :laugh: :laugh:
    I now only have 130 cals left to eat :frown: :frown: :frown: not going to though :laugh:
    Vicky x
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Wait- you said you do get hungry? But then you look at the calories and decide not to eat the food. If the fact is that you are eating when you are hungry and you just can't eat any more that is a different story than if you are stopping when you are hungry because you're afraid the calories will add up.

One thing I noticed was that you listed that you ate a Quarter Pounder Beef Burger, 1 burger Calories: 185. That seems really low for a quarter pounder. I know the one at McD. is at least 400 cals with no cheese. Is it possible that on the days that you are stuffed you are underestimating the calories you are actually eating?

I'm really glad you are being successful so far. Good luck. Try to pack in the nutrients and make calories secondary. If you are hungry and you are way below your cal limit, eat something nutritious. If you are not hungry, maybe don't sweat it unless you are plateauing in your weight loss and then you may have to bump up your cals. for a while like the previous post said. :flowerforyou:
    The Quarter pounder was a 3% fat burger with no topping or a bun. i just had it plain and dryfried it.

It's also not worth eating the high calorie stuff as I'm scared i will go over loads and don't wanna do that. I tend just to have half a carrot when i get get a bit peckish and this counts as one of my snacks (5 Cals!)
    I never go under 1000 cals as this is silly for me and i really would be hungry but i do have a problem when I get to about 1050 and I'm getting really full but still have another 150 :frown: :frown: :grumble: :sick: For example today i was stuck at 952 cals and decided i couldn't submit that so i ate a chocolate bar :laugh: :laugh:
    I now only have 130 cals left to eat :frown: :frown: :frown: not going to though :laugh:
    Vicky x

ok.... uh, why not? 1200 calories is not even usually a "safe" number to be eating. staying down around 1000? NEVER a safe number. You need to really think about why you're not properly fueling yourself. There's nothing wrong with eating. Calories are not an ENEMY. EAT. if you want to lose weight safely and have a chance at maintaining those loses when you're finished you need to start eating quite a bit more.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I agree on the low cals food......but I was like this also in the beginning. It will take a bit to get going for you maybe.

Good luck
  • nhensley
    nhensley Posts: 1
    Options
    You should be eating more lean meats such as chicken and turkey. Plus eat more for lunch and less for dinner that way they are more equal meals. You body is probably going into famine mode by dinnertime because your blood sugar has dropped so low from basically starving yourself the first 2/3 of the day. In order to lose weight you have to keep your blood sugar more equal throughout the day. Also, you said that you are working out. Your muscles need protein to energize them and by not eating enough protein, you are not allowing your muscles to heal and grow stronger. Try eating oatmeal or toast and 1 egg for breakfast, grilled chicken breast with a vegetable such as green beans or fruit for lunch and then more lean meat like turkey or fish for dinner. Plus congrats on losing 2 pounds in a couple days, but that is actually not healthy to lose that much weight 3 days into it. You should only be losing 2 pounds per week at the most or you are more likely to gain the weight right back if you quit your diet.
  • Petunia_K
    Petunia_K Posts: 35
    Options
    Hi again :flowerforyou: I definitely think you are trying to stay way too low on the cals and then, like the other post says, your blood sugar is crashing and you give in and eat a quick snack like ice cream, chocolate bars, etc. If you really plan your day with healthy snacks and meals spread out-a lot of good ideas for what to eat have been suggested already- then you can keep your blood sugar level, fuel yourself for exercise and have protein to build and maintain muscle. All so important to really healthy weight loss and changing your body composition, which is what you ultimately want. Good luck and hang in there-
  • vickyclare96
    Options
    Good news: i actully had all my protein today and went over 1,200 cals for the second time :smile:
  • vickyclare96
    Options
    any more advice?
  • Delaina1
    Delaina1 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I then for dinner I had a beefburger and a sausage and then 2 scoops of chocolate ice cream! NOW I AM FULL TO BURSTING!!!!
    I don't understand how i am not eating enough calories... I have stopped exercising as much and am being more lenient to fatter foods!! WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME???!!???

Beef burgers (with a bun) and sausage and ice cream are absolutely loaded with tons of calories. There is no way you are that far under. Maybe you should make sure that you are logging your food correctly!
  • hollyb321
    hollyb321 Posts: 12
    Options
    im the same with under eating, my calories a day is 1000 (my own choice) and i have only had 600 "/

i would like to eat more now, but is it too late at night to even have anything??

x
  • Delaina1
    Delaina1 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You will never lose weight if your body is in starvation mode. 1200 cals should be the minimun.
  • vickyclare96
    Options
    I had a 3% fat beefburger with NO bun, i dry fried it and i had no topping or dressing. The sausgae was also very lean with less than 1% fat i also had no dressing, bun or topping!
    The chocolate ice cream was fat free!
  • vickyclare96
    Options
    Any more advice of food i can eat to higher my intake?
  • vickyclare96
    Options
    any more advice :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • amycakes812
    amycakes812 Posts: 441
    Options
    I am surprised no one else has mentioned this yet. Looking at what you are now eating, where are your fruits and vegetables? The example of what you ate had carbs and protein, other than some raisins, I didn't see any fruits or veg. Your example you gave prior to joining at least showed a lot of fruits and vegetables. Your body needs a well balanced diet to function properly. Don't shortchange yourself. Add in healthy fats (cook with canola or olive oil and eat nuts and avocados for that) Definitely increase you breakfast and lunch portions. If you are working out, have some cheese or milk after...you're body will need the protein then. Just work on adding something more in with each meal and snacking in between.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    FOODS Calories Carbs Fat Protein Cholest Sodium Sugars Fiber
    Breakfast
    Nestle - Coffee Mate - Coffee Creamer, 4 sp 40 cal
    Quaker - Instant Oatmeal High Fiber - Maple & Brown Sugar, 1 Packet 160 cals
    lunch
    Pepperidge Farm - Light Style 7 Grain Bread, 2 slice 90
    Boar's Head - Delicatessen Style Mustard With White Wine, 2 tsp
    Publix - Deli Roast Beef, 3 oz 120
    Alpine Lace - 25% Reduced Fat Cheddar Cheese, 1 slice 70
    snack
    Msu - Baby Carrots, 4 oz, 113g 43
    Sabra - Hummus With Roasted Pine Nuts, 1 oz 70
    Fresh Produce - Red Bell Pepper, 2 oz 15
    dinner
    Cooking Light - Moraccan Chick Pea Stew, 1 cup 188
    snack
    Jeannie's Bacon Pizza, 0.35 meal 692
    Broccoli, 0.25 cup 8
    Florertte - Salad Bag Mixed Leaves, 100 g 20 3g 0g 1g 0mg 0mg 0g 0g
    Good Seasons - Italian Vinaigrette Dressing With Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1 Tbs. 30

TOTALS: 1,546 calories. This was a work out day

========================================================

Breakfast
    Nestle - Coffee Mate - Coffee Creamer, 4 sp 40
    Pepperidge Farm - Light Style Oatmeal Bread, 2 slice 90
    Publix - Deli Roast Beef, 2.5 oz 100
    Boar's Head - Delicatessen Style Mustard With White Wine, 1 tsp 0
    Alpine Lace - 25% Reduced Fat Cheddar Cheese, 0.5 slice 35
    snack
    Blue Diamond Natural - Oven Roasted Almonds With Sea Salt, 0.5 oz. (about 24 nuts) 85
    lunch
    Whole Foods - Oven Roasted Brussel Sprouts, 102 grams (approx 4 oz) 120
    snack
    Msu - Baby Carrots, 4 oz, 113g 40
    Sabra - Hummus With Roasted Pine Nuts, 1 oz 70
    dinner
    365 Organic - Long Grain Brown Rice, 1/4 Cup (Dry) 170
    Broccoli - Raw, 4 spear (about 5" long) 42 8g 0g 3g 0mg 41mg 2g 3g
    Chicken - Breast, Boneless, Skinless, Broiled, 1.33 serving (3 oz.) 173
    Good Seasons - Italian Vinaigrette Dressing With Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 2 Tbs. 60
    Generic - 5 Bell Peppers/Red/Yellow Strips, 1/4 cup 20
    snack
    Smuckers Organic - Creamy Peanut Butter, 2 tbsp 210
    Apples - Raw, with skin, 1 small (2-1/2" dia) (approx 4 per lb) 55

TOTALS: 1,313
    This is a non work out day.

I hope this helps
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    My typical day before i started MFP was like this:
    Breakfast: Nothing - so I'm quite proud now I actually eat something :smile:
    About 10.15 - cheese salad sandwiches, an apple and a packet of crisps,
    About 1- Another apple and a chocolate bar.
    about 4 - Another packet of crisps
    Dinner (around 7) - A whole pizza and some fries
    Bedtime snack (around 10) a large handful of grapes or a 2 carrots.
    I was eating a LOT!!! this is why i need to lose weight! :laugh: :laugh:
    Good news.. Third day in i have lost 2 pounds :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy::blushing:

That looks like you were not eating enough during the day and then making up for it with a whole pizza. It will take time to train your body and yourself to eat more earlier in the day and less at night. Use patience and don't expect the changes overnight. You say you have only been doing this 3 days? Be kind to yourself, Rome was not built in a day. Your habits will change in due time
  • rinalynn
    rinalynn Posts: 87
    Options
    hi I am new here and was reading along with you all, I have been dieting and doing the p90x workouts everyday for 3 weeks. My scale has not moved, then I started keeping a food journal and saw how little I was eating. I jumped on the P90x message boards and they suggested I log my food intake here and I am so glad I did. My only problem is with the workouts and taking walks every other day my food intake should be about 2500+ cals I am having trouble meeting that. I stay about 1800. I find I wake up starving in the morning. I drink a lot of water about 8 .5 l bottles a day. I am Gluten Free Wheat Free the only meat I eat is Chicken and Fish due to having RA. I pretty much eat fruit and veggies, beans and very little dairy. I have found that if I have a fruit smoothie in the morning after my workout I have banana, natural peanut butter, Almond Milk and some frozen strawberries it helps with the cals it is so great for you, Another smoothie is ricotta cheese 1/4 cup frozen berries and 1/4 cup almond milk and it has so much protein and fruit. Maybe you can try to have a smoothie for a snack or a recovery drink. I also replace the Ricotta Cheese with Greek yogurt. I do eat a lot of nuts.

If anyone has any suggestion on how I can get more cals in please let me know or if you think I will be ok with the 1800 cals. Thanks so much and I nice to meet you all.:smile:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    hi I am new here and was reading along with you all, I have been dieting and doing the p90x workouts everyday for 3 weeks. My scale has not moved, then I started keeping a food journal and saw how little I was eating. I jumped on the P90x message boards and they suggested I log my food intake here and I am so glad I did. My only problem is with the workouts and taking walks every other day my food intake should be about 2500+ cals I am having trouble meeting that. I stay about 1800. I find I wake up starving in the morning. I drink a lot of water about 8 .5 l bottles a day. I am Gluten Free Wheat Free the only meat I eat is Chicken and Fish due to having RA. I pretty much eat fruit and veggies, beans and very little dairy. I have found that if I have a fruit smoothie in the morning after my workout I have banana, natural peanut butter, Almond Milk and some frozen strawberries it helps with the cals it is so great for you, Another smoothie is ricotta cheese 1/4 cup frozen berries and 1/4 cup almond milk and it has so much protein and fruit. Maybe you can try to have a smoothie for a snack or a recovery drink. I also replace the Ricotta Cheese with Greek yogurt. I do eat a lot of nuts.

If anyone has any suggestion on how I can get more cals in please let me know or if you think I will be ok with the 1800 cals. Thanks so much and I nice to meet you all.:smile:

Thanks for the smoothie suggestions. I add almonds, walnuts or pistachios. Also, I now add a tbls of olive oil on my chicken or fish. Adds good fats, increases the calories and give is some more flavor!!