do sugary snacks taste less appealing now?

Options
c2sky
c2sky Posts: 487 Member
I decided I would make just a few of my Christmas goodies this year. I'm controlling my sampling, due to logging. But I find they don't taste as good as I remember. I also went to my favorite local breakfast place this morning, had a side order of the apple pancakes. I didn't like them as well.

One of my fitness pals said she took a bite of the cookie. When she didn't like it she threw it away. I'm not quite to that point yet, but.........

I was wondering, have you noticed that sugary things don't taste as good, since you started logging?

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Nope. They taste just as good as they always have.

Just one benifit of weightlifting, you get a more reasonable amount of daily calories. You should take up weight lifting.
  • jowings
    jowings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I certainly find that, now that i have been trying to eat "cleaner," the artificial taste associated with some cookies and overly processed foods has become a pretty good deterrent. I also find that a small portion/bite satisfies my sugar cravings rather than a larger helping. I am not sure if that is because I do not indulge very often and a little bit goes a long way or because my tastes have literally changed : ). I think it's a good thing, though!
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have found that to be true--they don't taste bad, just not quite as compellingly good.
  • quarkenstein
    quarkenstein Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I found after I cut out sweet tea (220 calories per drink at some places in the south!) I didn't like it as much when I came back to it. I had a cheat day and decided to have some sweet tea after about 2 weeks on MFP, and it was just TOO much. Too sickly sweet, made me feel terrible, so I'm not addicted to it anymore.

Desserts, I still like them, but I find I get sick if I have too much. I still have sweets, just in small portions.
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    I have found that they taste just as good, but my body has violent reactions to too much sugar. The plus side is that I usually lose quite a bit of weight when I over do on the sugar :)
  • kisha1977
    kisha1977 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I try not to have sugary snacks, I will have some raw sugar in my tea or I will have some fruit.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Yes. Party at work today. Grabbed a peanut butter/chocolate fudge thing. Took a small bite and had to put it down. It seemed so sweet that it hurt my teeth! My friend next to me was eating one also so I asked her if maybe it was just too sweet. Nope says she. Hmmmm.
  • anewme99
    Options
    I find that things I would used to consider "sour" or just not sweet taste really sweet-and good I normally am not a fan of grapefruit or oranges-but I have had no said or carbs at all for 3 weeks. I ate an orange and found it to taste incredibly sweet-and good. I turned my nose up at them before as being too sour! I have not given into a single cookie or candy treat-but I cannot image that it would not taste like HEAVEN!
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options

Just one benifit of weightlifting, you get a more reasonable amount of daily calories. You should take up weight lifting.

I do lift, not as much as a used to, but I definitely lift. I'm a trainer. It's kinda expected.
  • lessac
    lessac Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hmm...
    Hmmm... No. I bet I'd still be too tempted to eat two dozens if I baked cookies.

And 20 years ago I thought plain milk was not much to my liking because it tasted too sweet. Go figure :indifferent:
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't crave them anymore because I don't buy them anymore and try to eat fruit and such instead. But sweettarts will always get me, forever.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

*snarf!* I was about to say the same thing. My husband brought home a big piece of marble cake with buttercream icing from his work xmas party, and I'm floating on a cloud like Scooby after a Scooby Snack.
  • Sheriemae
    Options
    I just noticed this today. I haven't had cake in a longggg time, and decided I wanted a piece today. I ened up getting a stomach ache half way through it. It didn't taste as good as I remembered either. Guess it's a good thing, now I see no need to crave it anymore.
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Not really but i have noticed i just dont want to eat such large amount as i used to of certain things. i just took a piece of homemade fudge from the fridge and one little piece was enough to fulfil the sugar/chocolate craving whereas before it would have been a handful of pieces
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options
    Not really but i have noticed i just dont want to eat such large amount as i used to of certain things. i just took a piece of homemade fudge from the fridge and one little piece was enough to fulfil the sugar/chocolate craving whereas before it would have been a handful of pieces

This!! They taste good but I am satisfied with a whole lot less. Like I am looking forward to splurging on my mom's yummy homemade eggnog tomorrow but I suspect that one glass is going to be plenty enough. Won't even say how much I used to drink.
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I used to be a coca cola junkie, could never stomach the diet pops. now i drink diet and like it. i went to have a regular coke the other day and it was too sweet and i didn't enjoy it.
  • dapst3r
    Options
    I have found that a lot of sugary food doesn't taste the same to me anymore. For me I think it has to do with the mental sweet tooth block I have put on. I have found that I am scared to gain back the weight I lost so I basically avoid sweets altogether now!
  • tegla
    tegla Posts: 132
    Options
    YES, I wasn't much for sweets anyway, but definitely I'm more sugar sensitive now, I notice it mostly in soda, I only taste sugar or actually nasty *kitten* corn syrup.

Real food tastes great!
  • leslielt
    leslielt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I never was a big candy fan and sugar is starting to give me a headache
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Yes! I was really surprised, because I've always been very... um... non-discriminating? I am someone who would happily inhale the entire dessert table and never get tired of it. I would still be craving more sweets even when my stomach was so full that I felt ill.

But in the last 9 months, I've gotten on a low-carb, high-protein diet and rarely eat any sugar any more. Yesterday at a party I indulged in a caramel hershey's kiss, and it was really wonderful, I savored it... but when I was done, I had absolutely no desire for another one. I didn't want to even think about eating anything else that was sweet. It was really weird! In a good way, but now I'm wondering what alternate universe I've fallen into... :laugh: