500 calorie dinner ideas

Options
2»

Replies

• onawhymm
    onawhymm Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    This one I love because it makes 4 servings and I eat one, put one in frig and freeze two!

Turkey (or chicken) Creole serves 4
    ½ c chopped green pepper
    ½ t dried crushed thyme
    ½ c chopped celery
    ¼ t garlic powder (or fresh)
    ¼ c chopped onion
    1 bay leaf
    1 T marg or butter
    ½ t Tabasco
    1 T flour
    dash o’ pepper
    1 (16 oz) can o’ chopped tomatoes
    2 c cooked, diced chicken or turkey
    1 (8 oz) can o’ tomato sauce
    1 t sugar
    hot, cooked rice

In a large heavy fry pan (wrought iron skillet ideal),cook green pepper, celery, onion (if using fresh garlic add to recipe now) in butter until tender, but not brown. Stir in flour. Stir in un-drained tomatoes, tomato sauce, sugar, thyme, garlic powder, bay leaf, and tobasco & pepper. Cook and stir ‘till thick & bubbly. Stir in meat. Cover & simmer for 5 to 10 minutes more. Remove bay leaf. Serve over hot rice.

175 calories per serving, not including the rice - so hell - eat 2 servings if you are hungry!
  • nrimas
    nrimas Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    This one I love because it makes 4 servings and I eat one, put one in frig and freeze two!

Turkey (or chicken) Creole serves 4
    ½ c chopped green pepper
    ½ t dried crushed thyme
    ½ c chopped celery
    ¼ t garlic powder (or fresh)
    ¼ c chopped onion
    1 bay leaf
    1 T marg or butter
    ½ t Tabasco
    1 T flour
    dash o’ pepper
    1 (16 oz) can o’ chopped tomatoes
    2 c cooked, diced chicken or turkey
    1 (8 oz) can o’ tomato sauce
    1 t sugar
    hot, cooked rice

In a large heavy fry pan (wrought iron skillet ideal),cook green pepper, celery, onion (if using fresh garlic add to recipe now) in butter until tender, but not brown. Stir in flour. Stir in un-drained tomatoes, tomato sauce, sugar, thyme, garlic powder, bay leaf, and tobasco & pepper. Cook and stir ‘till thick & bubbly. Stir in meat. Cover & simmer for 5 to 10 minutes more. Remove bay leaf. Serve over hot rice.

175 calories per serving, not including the rice - so hell - eat 2 servings if you are hungry!
    Hell yea, I'm hungry! Ha, ha. Love it!!
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Tagging this thread for my dinner tonight. Great topic.
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    chicken-burrito-A1.jpg

http://zoomyummy.com/2011/07/30/chicken-burritos/
    121 cal
    288 sodium

http://zoomyummy.com/2011/07/27/homemade-tortillas/
    158 cal
    295 sodium

TOTAL
    279 cal
    583 Sodium

You could have 2 or eat them with a nice big salad. You could even make them with steak if you had a really juicy craving :)

YOU COULD ALSO MAKE IT MEATLESS. EITHER ADD TOFU OR MORE BEANS :)
  • BenjaminMckee123
    BenjaminMckee123 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nrimas
    Options
    bump
    Love the "bump"!
  • nrimas
    Options
    Tagging this thread for my dinner tonight. Great topic.
    I know, right? I want to know what real people are eating. Not some silly recipe that has a small bite or 15 crazy ingredients. Keep 'em coming!
  • rico1923
    Options
    If you can eat eggs or egg substitutes Fritatta is the to go:

First saute in about a teaspoon of oil a clove of garlic (when you wish to, can omit).
    Add veg. of choice-
    one bunch of swiss chard, stems removed/leaves shredded
    one good sized bunch spinach, cleaned and shredded;
    one roasted bell pepper and one cup onion;
    one medium sized potato and 1/2 cup onion;
    10 oz. grated zucchini;
    basically any veg combo adding up to about 1 1/2- 2 cups after cooking;

Season as desired (nutmeg for the greens, lemon peel for the zucchini) and add salt/pepper.
    Cook veg until just short of tender, if using greens saute until fairly dry.
    While veg cooks put 3 eggs/.75 cup egg substitute in a bowl w/1/4 cup parmesan cheese and beat/combine.
    Add al dente veg to egg mixture, combine. Wipe out/clean saute pan.
    Add one teaspoon oil to pan, pour egg mixture into pan. Cook partly covered on medium heat OR bake in 350F degree oven until eggs set.
    Top with chopped tomato/ tomato sauce of choice. Share with someone if desired.

Half of one of these is a nice sized serving but even with the highest calorie version (3 whole eggs, small potato) its about 250 calories per portion- the version with egg substitute/zucchini comes in at about 150 calories. Add sliced fruit and/or salad and you're easily under 500 calories for the whole meal.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    My easy, healthy, no-mess dinner is what I call "poor man's chicken cordon bleu." Take a couple of chicken tenders or a boneless chicken breast filet (around 5 oz). Slice 'em open, spread some cheese inside (I use a wedge of laughing cow) and sprinkle a pinch of rosemary or garlic. Close it back up, and wrap a slice of bacon around the whole thing. Now you can grill it on a grill (I use my George Foreman grill, 9 minutes) or wrap it in foil & bake it at 350 for 20-35 minutes.

218 calories, 1g carb, 8g fat, 35g protein, 483 sodium
    You can add a cup or two of steamed veggies too, whatever you like, and still barely be over 300 cal.
  • nrimas
    Options
    If you can eat eggs or egg substitutes Fritatta is the to go:

First saute in about a teaspoon of oil a clove of garlic (when you wish to, can omit).
    Add veg. of choice-
    one bunch of swiss chard, stems removed/leaves shredded
    one good sized bunch spinach, cleaned and shredded;
    one roasted bell pepper and one cup onion;
    one medium sized potato and 1/2 cup onion;
    10 oz. grated zucchini;
    basically any veg combo adding up to about 1 1/2- 2 cups after cooking;

Season as desired (nutmeg for the greens, lemon peel for the zucchini) and add salt/pepper.
    Cook veg until just short of tender, if using greens saute until fairly dry.
    While veg cooks put 3 eggs/.75 cup egg substitute in a bowl w/1/4 cup parmesan cheese and beat/combine.
    Add al dente veg to egg mixture, combine. Wipe out/clean saute pan.
    Add one teaspoon oil to pan, pour egg mixture into pan. Cook partly covered on medium heat OR bake in 350F degree oven until eggs set.
    Top with chopped tomato/ tomato sauce of choice. Share with someone if desired.

Half of one of these is a nice sized serving but even with the highest calorie version (3 whole eggs, small potato) its about 250 calories per portion- the version with egg substitute/zucchini comes in at about 150 calories. Add sliced fruit and/or salad and you're easily under 500 calories for the whole meal.
    I eat eggs and love them. I love the nod in your profile to homeostasis. Very articulate! Nice job!!!
  • nrimas
    Options
    My easy, healthy, no-mess dinner is what I call "poor man's chicken cordon bleu." Take a couple of chicken tenders or a boneless chicken breast filet (around 5 oz). Slice 'em open, spread some cheese inside (I use a wedge of laughing cow) and sprinkle a pinch of rosemary or garlic. Close it back up, and wrap a slice of bacon around the whole thing. Now you can grill it on a grill (I use my George Foreman grill, 9 minutes) or wrap it in foil & bake it at 350 for 20-35 minutes.

218 calories, 1g carb, 8g fat, 35g protein, 483 sodium
    You can add a cup or two of steamed veggies too, whatever you like, and still barely be over 300 cal.
    Now that is what I am looking for! Great idea!!
  • HealthiHannah
    HealthiHannah Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com is like my bible!! you'll love it too! so many great easy healthy ideas!

MINE TOO!
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com is like my bible!! you'll love it too! so many great easy healthy ideas!

Yes, this website is amazing! I love the chicken taco chili! You can plan out all your dinners for the week from there if you want. :-)
  • scottberrydsm
    scottberrydsm Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    No shelfish because of allergies, or do you just not like them?
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Bump:flowerforyou: :tongue: :flowerforyou:
  • nrimas
    Options
    No shelfish because of allergies, or do you just not like them?
    No allergies. I went to a Motivational Seminar where this man talked about shellfish. He called shrimp the "fleas of the sea," and "lobster was a cockroach of the sea," after that I just can't. It struck me that people eat them because of what they are coated with or dipped in (butter) not because they taste good. Oh well. Not politically correct, but it's where I am.
  • khua0808
    Options
    I just went to BJ's Club tonight to buy weekly food and I found something AMAZING that i've never seen before. Joseph's brand pita breads or something with 60 calories per pita, 6g protein, 10g oat/complex carbs, 5g fiber. Time to make pizza/pitas/enchiladas/sandwiches with this and feel good eating it