I want to run a Marathon

Options
....Or maybe just a 5k. What do you all recommend I start with my training. I want to start training so that I have a fitness goal for this year. I recently gained a little weight from three days of holiday cooking and dinners out... so I am hoping that having a fitness goal and something to work toward will help me lose the weight and gain some muscle instead. I am also starting the NRWL4W program as well if anyone has anything they want to say about this program as well.
What do program have any of you used for your marathon training?

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'm confused, do you want to run 3.1 miles or 26.2 miles?

Are you running at all right now? If not, I would get some miles under your belt before considering a marathon.
  • toabetterlifestyle
    Options
    I would suggest you begin the C25K challenge, then do a 5k, then half marathon, then marathon if you really dedicate yourself to it,
  • dapst3r
    Options
    I have ran 2 5K's in the last 3 months, I am going to do one more 5K in Jan, then a 10K in Feb. This is to get me ready for a 1/2 Marathon in June. If you don't run at all I suggest starting with an aggressive power walk routine fo about 2 weeks or more, then move into a jog for a few weeks, then start running, don't do more than you can handle that leads to injury. Pace yourself and find your stride that you are comfortable with. http://running.competitor.com/ is a great resource for training tips.
  • scrapbookdiva2
    Options
    I love 5K's they are fun, easy to train for, and don't suck up my time, which is so precious as a busy mom. I am doing a 5 K run on new years eve, and love that it is only really a few hours ( drive time, registration,etc. included) I personally love to run but have absolutely no intrest in doing a marathon mainly because I don't have the time to train to do it safely and can't afford an injury to run it without properly training.

Instead I have taken up recreational Soccer, a 30+ league and love the challenge. The cardio is awesome and I love that I am learning a new team game. It is something I have never played before (other than in Gym class in grade school) and the work out is amazing -- all sprinting! much more intense and way more adrenalin than my run's and I love meeting new people and the connections I make with my team mates.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I'm confused, do you want to run 3.1 miles or 26.2 miles?

Are you running at all right now? If not, I would get some miles under your belt before considering a marathon.
  • MaggieFit622
    Options
    I am thinking of running a 3.1 mile run. And I can run for about 5 minutes @ 5 mph before my legs start to ache. But, I want to increase my time running versus walking and I wanted to know if anyone had any advice how to increase my run time. Should I slowly add 1 minute to my time running each workout?
  • busterbluth
    busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I first ran a marathon without ever having run a 1/2 marathon (or a 5k, actually, though I'd run several 10ks). If I had to do it over again, I would've done a 1/2 first. I got really burned out on the training and basically quit running for a long time after the race (actually, I really slacked off training before the race even happened, other than my long runs on Saturdays). It was like a second job.

That said, I know that I'm the type of person who doesn't tend to go through with things unless I go ALL OUT, and if you're that type of person, you probably won't be satisfied with merely training for a short race. So you could even train for a 1/2 marathon with the idea that it's part of your marathon training (register one about 1/2 way through a marathon training schedule).
  • busterbluth
    busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of running a 3.1 mile run. And I can run for about 5 minutes @ 5 mph before my legs start to ache. But, I want to increase my time running versus walking and I wanted to know if anyone had any advice how to increase my run time. Should I slowly add 1 minute to my time running each workout?

This might be useful to you:

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k.html

Also, try just slowing down for now. Cover the distance first, then worry about your speed (at least that's what I'd say--someone else might have different advice).
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options

I would start slow. A marathon should be a loooooong term goal for you. Try the couch to 5k program.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

it does interval training which helps increase your stamina over time.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    ....Or maybe just a 5k. What do you all recommend I start with my training. I want to start training so that I have a fitness goal for this year. I recently gained a little weight from three days of holiday cooking and dinners out... so I am hoping that having a fitness goal and something to work toward will help me lose the weight and gain some muscle instead. I am also starting the NRWL4W program as well if anyone has anything they want to say about this program as well.

I suggest that you actually READ the book NROL4W first. Chapter 3 is called, "Step Away From The Treadmill."
    You need to decide what your goals are first. Short term and long term. :flowerforyou:
  • dapst3r
    Options

Try this site:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/

Great for new runners. There is a program called Couch to 5K that is a great start.