african american hair and exercise???

Options
:bigsmile: hey everybody,

i'm an african american girl with medium length permed and straightened hair. i'm curious of what other girls like me do with their hair during and right after excercise. sweating a lot is totally messing up my hair and driving me crazy but i'm not gunna stop working out :bigsmile: and i don't want to just cut my hair of like my gym teacher suggests... lol

i need ideas from personal experience. thanks

Replies

• wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I put my in a pony tail and keep on trucking. Normally I wear a pony tail in my hair, my hair used to be really long and thick but its thinning out some so its pass my shoulders but soo thin. But my hair is thick at the roots so when I sweat so does my scalp.
  • mandypooh2103
    mandypooh2103 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Omg I really need answers I am in the same position
  • raindropwishes
    Options
    you know, I've ended up cutting my hair off and starting again natural lol
  • chiera88
    chiera88 Posts: 155
    Options
    thanks for the responses so far :bigsmile:

let me add more information. i currently just wear it in a ponytail during exercise but wear it down otherwise. i don't like ponytails lol
    and i'm too lazy to go natural ha

i've seen some women wearing wraps of some sort but never got around to asking them about it...
  • SheWillNotFail46_5
    Options
    Well I have no shame in wearing a cute scarf in public. When i had a perm I would wrap my hair and throw a scarf on with some cute earrings and work it out. Just don't tie that scarf like aunt jemima! :-) After exercising i left my scarf on and my hair wrapped until it was completely dry (I sweat ALOT). Once i combed it out and sprayed on some sheen it was pretty straight. I bumped the ends a few times a week. This worked for me up until about 6 weeks post relaxer. After that my roots were not having it. A Tight ponytail will work ok. It will keep your roots from getting puffy. Once again don't undo your ponytail until hair is completely dry. I did microbraids alot back in the day too. Don't know if they are still in style....I don't see them much these days.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I don't like to wear my hair down. I usually wear my hair in a ponytail.
  • knharper08
    knharper08 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey! That was a major concern for me, as I do boot camp at my college every tuesday and thursday morning--I sweat a TONNN!

What I find keeps my edges smooth and minimal poofiness (I'm as natural as a newborn baby lol), is using Carol's Daughter Hold & Control Smoother along the edges, brush it down gently around the edges with fingers or back of a comb (be gentle!!), and put a tad bit of some tea tree oil in some places as I wear a weave sometimes.

I either wrap my hair or do pin curls, and I bought an inexpensive workout "du rag" from Wal-mart, it has holes/ventilation in it so that my hair doesnt sweat and poof up. After my workout, I do a quick blowdry on low setting to get the majority of the moisture out, and I let it wait until after my shower to let it completely dry.

My roommate and I were amazed how nicely my hair came out, especially since our boot camp instructor works us out HARD and I loved my result!
  • BeingJamela365
    BeingJamela365 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is a BIG issue for us African American beauties! I usually wrap my hair and put my scarf on while working out. I let it completely dry then I'm good. I am considering braids because this method doesn't allow me to work out in the mornings as I sweat alot and my hair is shoulder length and pretty thick.

I am really contemplating going natural....
  • MsBaby117
    MsBaby117 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I either wrap mine or put it in a ponytail....
  • Neize
    Neize Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    This is a BIG issue for us African American beauties! I usually wrap my hair and put my scarf on while working out. I let it completely dry then I'm good. I am considering braids because this method doesn't allow me to work out in the mornings as I sweat alot and my hair is shoulder length and pretty thick.

Totally agree with you! I'm thinking about going nautural as well! :smile:
  • bonnynblithe04
    bonnynblithe04 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My hair is relaxed too but am considering going natural. My last touch-up was on Sunday and I went to the gym several times this week (AM) in my scarf and hard rollers. I have no shame, LOL!
  • Iwillshyne
    Options
    I too have relaxed hair but I wear a lot of diffrent braiding styles: cornrows, sew ins, singles, micros ect. I love my braids. But I have lots of friends who decided to go natural and they love it.
  • ShellyBrowne
    ShellyBrowne Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the right answer is.

I run 4-5 days a week, and after my runs my entire body including my head/hair is soaked. I live in Houston so I don't just experience the heat but the humidity as well. I wash my hair after every single run because there's no way I'm putting up with the smell. My hair is relaxed and short (top of shoulders length) so it's a fairly easy process of washing/conditioning but it's thick so it takes about 4-5 hours to air dry (no ponytail).

The only magic trick I have is that I have a really great cut that doesn't look too horrible during the drying process. I haven't found the magic trick to making it cute or sexy but I'm more concerned about my health than about how I look at work.
  • keesh1123
    keesh1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options

THIS... and this is why i mainly workout at night (if I workout in the morning its usually very light with minimal sweat or b/c I know I will stay home for the rest of the day).

I wear my hair wrapped, so I just wrap it up before I workout, my scarf is usually completely wet when I'm done, so I switch it up with a dry scarf so it will dry quicker. Its usually almost bedtime when I'm done, so I just allow it to dry while I sleep.

Most mornings I wake up and it's just fine unless I am due for a shampoo. at first I wouldn't work out for about a week after first getting a new relaxer b/c I didn't want to mess up my hair! But this method works great. Because of the workouts I wash and condition my hair weekly and this really helps with keeping my hair fresh.

Ive also heard that pinning your curls up with bobby pins before a workout works well. Oh yea, and if you don't like to put much heat on your hair, a roller set works great! I live by them when I am due for a relaxer, roll it up before the workout and allow it to dry! they hide the naps and allow me to keep my workouts strong!

I hope that you find something that works for you because this is such a hassle!
  • nay038
    nay038 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Omg I am so glad to see this post because this is definitely a problem I wear sew ins a lot and wrap it and pin it down braids work best if your edges can stand it mine can't I'm with the majority I would like to go natural but that would seriouly take some getting use to thanks for sharing
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I sweat alot too and I am transitioning to natural hair, no weaves here: What I do is, blow dry my hair w/ a comb immediately after I work out. If I am not going to work right away or if I am working out at home, I wrap my hair and leave it wrapped until I need to style it. If I am heading straight to work, I spray my hair w/ light oil sheen and flat iron it. I get my hair treated once a week at a salon and I have had no problems w/ my hair at all. Styling my hair after blow drying literally takes likes 10 minutes. I work out daily 5-6 days a week and I am a heavy sweater, sometimes still sweating while I'm drying out my hair.
  • healthyyme
    healthyyme Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm natural, but a thick headband or scarf definitely helps :)
  • Wilma0706
    Options
    tie it back!
  • daterminedfatburnerX
    Options
    i just keep mines in a ponytail...and i dont straighten my hair unless theres a special occasion since it does alot of damage..
    so i just keep it curly for the restt of the week since i know im going to be sweating like a piggy
  • juicymama08
    juicymama08 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Well I have no shame in wearing a cute scarf in public. When i had a perm I would wrap my hair and throw a scarf on with some cute earrings and work it out. Just don't tie that scarf like aunt jemima! :-) After exercising i left my scarf on and my hair wrapped until it was completely dry (I sweat ALOT). Once i combed it out and sprayed on some sheen it was pretty straight. I bumped the ends a few times a week. This worked for me up until about 6 weeks post relaxer. After that my roots were not having it. A Tight ponytail will work ok. It will keep your roots from getting puffy. Once again don't undo your ponytail until hair is completely dry. I did microbraids alot back in the day too. Don't know if they are still in style....I don't see them much these days.

This ^^^^^
    Olive Oil Edge control......Pull it in a tight ponytail w/ scarf.....workout.....let hair completely dry before taking off scarf.... If you don't have time to wait for it to dry naturally, use the blowdryer with the big round brush...softens and straightens 4 perfect hair! :bigsmile: