Looking for 50+ yr olds looking to lose more than 40 pounds

Options
I am a 51 yr old female, and I've finally decided to focus on getting back into shape for 2012. I was in very good shape 12 years ago, but lost my motivation. This is a tough road to travel. I'm basically alone in NW Florida, without anyone to drag my booty into the gym and keep me company while doing my workouts. I've decided that I'm going to have to keep myself company, and not let the 'stuff' at home (dogs need to be walked, laundry needs to get done) deter me from my hour in the gym every night.

I need a network of friends that will help encourage me to keep going. In return, I'll cheer for you. And if you happen to live in the Panama City area and want a gym-buddy, I'd really be happy to meet up.

Replies

• Jettalyn
    Options
    I am close, Atlanta, and little older, 63. I too have weight to rid and animals to tend, 3 huge Maine Coon cats. I bought the Sports Wii and am determined to give it a go. I just went through a scary blood pressure ordeal and found out that I am pre-diabetic, so this is now or never time for me. I have a dear (almost) daughter who will be joining us in a few days who is diabetic. We are quite serious about this. We are going to record our calories and exercise each night and tell each other our weight once a week. Heavens Forbid!! I was always a skinny woman, this just snick up on me and now I am a fat older woman. I am still wondering how this happened.
  • SusanRN2b
    SusanRN2b Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all! I'm 50 with 40 to lose myself. I am going to friend both of you and we'll do this thing!!!
  • jlfox165
    Options
    Hi! I've been here for about 5 weeks. I am 53, want to lose about 55 more pounds. I'd be glad to give you encouragement if you'd like. Add me if you want, ok?
  • minnie2714
    Options
    I am new as of today. I'm 55 and need to lose about 45 lbs. I also need all the encourgement to keep me going. I've started so many diets but always lost the will power to keep going. My husband is taking me to NYC in August and I want to look and feel good. So i have a goal. My journey will begin Jan 1. Good luck to all of us.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm 54 and I've lost 107 with only a few to go. I'd be happy to cheer any of you on as living proof you can do it.
  • Precious75134
    Precious75134 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am 51 and want to lose about 40...feel free to add me...any of you...I need the support!!!
  • gg24
    gg24 Posts: 58
    Options
    Raises Hand! 51 and 40 something to lose. Would be thrilled with 25!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I am 52, and lost 43 lbs about 3 years ago. Glad to offer any help you may need.
  • carhicks
    carhicks Posts: 1,924 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I am 54 and have been on MFP faithfully since the beginning of July. I have lost 45 pounds and have 63 more to go. You can add me as a friend and I will cheer you on, help motivate you and answer any questions I can. You can live healthy.
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 57 and have been at this since September. I've lost 33 pounds so far and am looking to lose 47 more. Feel free to add me.
  • gods_gal
    gods_gal Posts: 305
    Options
    Hi, I'm Bonnie, 56, and live in Nashville. I've been here on MFP since the end of June. My husband and I joined WW in March and he's met his Lifetime Goal and I have about 60 more to go. I'd love to walk this journey with you. I'll send you a friend request. :flowerforyou:
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    This post made me want to say Hey, we can do it! I'm a 57 yr old female guitarist and music teacher who has lost 50 lbs over the last year. I've read all of your comments here, and realize we're all in a similar boat....it's so good to know we're all wanting to feel better, look better, and be happier. I can't begin to tell you how much better I feel, it's just great! It's been one intense year of trial and error, nutrition study and learning to cook differently. And I love to cook! I'm a gardener, too, so I have lots of veggies throughout the year to cook with.......finally learned they could fill me up if I figured out how to fix them right! Anyway, I think this is just great, wishing you all well and once again I'll say Hey, we can do it!

I have pics of me if you want to see, just click on my name here then view photos.

Good luck everyone! Grab on tight, buckle up your bootstraps and get down to business. We can do it!
  • terri201
    terri201 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 55 years old, lost 60 pounds in 1994 and maintained pretty well until menopause hit me like a mac truck. Gained 30 pounds back about 5 years ago, went back to Weight Watchers and took it off again. Now I am trying to get a little more off . I LOVE this web site, has really shown me that I am eating too much fats and proteins, and just by knowing that I have been on a steady loss since joining!
  • Jettalyn
    Options
    Wow, this great. I would friend all of you, but I don't know how. Speaking of friends, how much does our diary show to our friends? Our measurements and weight, or just our food and notes? And what are the acronyms? I know WW, but I do not know the others. This is really my first go at the weight loss thing. My friends of yore all teased that one day I would wake up fat. I could eat anything I wanted, and stay skinny, then a bad knee turned into a total knee replacement and soon 70 pounds accumulated with it. The bad thing is that it never bothered me; I am truly a jolly fat lady. It wasn't until the blood pressure skyrocketed and my doctor said, "Do you know you coud die?" that I realized I had to do something. I really want to live and without 3 powerful bp meds. So, here I am. Yes, let's kick this thing!
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Jettalyn, our food diaries just show food, not measurements or weight. You can set your food diary to "private" or "viewable by friends" by clicking on "Settings" at the top of the page, then clicking on "Diary Settings" in the list that appears.

To add friends, click on their name here, where it shows right underneath their photo, then when you get to their profile page, click "add friend".

Not sure what you mean by acronyms??
  • KYDREAMER1
    KYDREAMER1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am a 53 year old woman living in SE Michigan. I just started doing Jazzercise classes and started MFP this week. I have about 90 pounds to lose. I am very happy to see this topic and hope we can all support each other in our efforts.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and had an accident this year, as a result I couldn't work out for several months and didn't watch what I ate.

So now I've started back in and have about 45 pounds of fat to shed, sending FRs to all!
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Welcome to My Fitness Pal! I will be 59 in a few days and have lost over 50 pounds so far. :smile:
  • drift
    drift Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hi, just turned 50 here in the UK, have lost 33 pounds, want to lose at least that again, then revisit my goal. I've been overweight most of my adult life so don't know what weight I'll feel comfortable maintaining at. I'm an older Mum, my daughter is 7, not working at the moment due to the recession in the uk so I'm on here a lot so I don't get bored and eat... Happy to accept friend requests if you want to add me, my only prejudice is religious people who credit "God" with their weightloss. I'm responsible for this, not some deity. No offence meant, if that's your thing -please don't add me.