Intermittent fasting for weight loss

Options
Hello to everyone. I am quite new to the site, but already feel right at home.
I have recently been experimenting with intermittent fasting. I first read about it on the internet. There is also a book on it: “Eat Stop Eat” by Brad Pilon. In his book, the ideal way is to fast three times a week for 24 hours at a time. Currently, I am doing three fasts a week, but for 36 hours at a time. It’s easier for me to do a 36 hour fast, than a 24 hour one. The main reason for this is, after a whole day of fasting, it’s much easier to just go to bed early without eating, and then to have a normal day of eating the next day. I know that many people would probably call me crazy for attempting something like this, but please don’t be too harsh. I am just another fat girl tired of fad diets, diet pills and miracle potions. This method seems fairly natural and safe. After doing some research I discovered that there are many health benefits with intermittent fasting, if you do it right. Let me know what you think:smile:

Replies

• backstreet1008
    Options
    I am just another fat girl tired of fad diets, diet pills and miracle potions. This method seems fairly natural and safe.

I would call fasting just as bad if not worse than the things you mentioned. And it's definitely not natural or safe, it's seriously unhealthy. Plus, any weight you might lose doing this, you'll just gain back once you start eating again.

You seem to be looking for an easy way out, but this simply does not exist when it comes to weight loss. You have to work for it. Just eat healthy foods, exercise, and watch your calorie intake. There's a wealth of information on these forums, just take everything with a grain of salt and you'll learn a lot about how to lose weight the healthy way.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I am just another fat girl tired of fad diets, diet pills and miracle potions. This method seems fairly natural and safe.

I would call fasting just as bad if not worse than the things you mentioned. And it's definitely not natural or safe, it's seriously unhealthy. Plus, any weight you might lose doing this, you'll just gain back once you start eating again.

You seem to be looking for an easy way out, but this simply does not exist when it comes to weight loss. You have to work for it. Just eat healthy foods, exercise, and watch your calorie intake. There's a wealth of information on these forums, just take everything with a grain of salt and you'll learn a lot about how to lose weight the healthy way.

I really have to disagree with this. Many cultures and religions around the world have been fasting regularly for thousands of years. Eating 3 or more meals a day is a western ideology. I've been doing eat stop eat for over a year and I am perfectly healthy.
  • PepeGreggerton
    Options
    I have recently been experimenting with intermittent fasting. I first read about it on the internet. There is also a book on it: “Eat Stop Eat” by Brad Pilon. In his book, the ideal way is to fast three times a week for 24 hours at a time. Currently, I am doing three fasts a week, but for 36 hours at a time. It’s easier for me to do a 36 hour fast, than a 24 hour one. The main reason for this is, after a whole day of fasting, it’s much easier to just go to bed early without eating, and then to have a normal day of eating the next day. I know that many people would probably call me crazy for attempting something like this, but please don’t be too harsh. I am just another fat girl tired of fad diets, diet pills and miracle potions. This method seems fairly natural and safe. After doing some research I discovered that there are many health benefits with intermittent fasting, if you do it right. Let me know what you think:smile:

You shouldn't fast for more than 18hrs, or you risk loss of muscle mass which will slow down your metabolic rate. I don't know what method you're using, what ratios you're using, but I used to do IF daily I'd fast for 16hrs, and eat my caloric goal.

IF is no magic bullet, it really doesn't have an effect in terms of weight loss. It's mostly used for convince. It's easier to cook once, then 3 time a day.

Today I did IF, it was unintentional though, i just wasn't hungry i guess. It did bring in some insight to a new method on how to do it for weight loss. I was able to eat less than normal, but it could have been to the high protein content today. So i won't jump to conclusions on it.

An issue with IF, it can lead to issues in terms of binging. Yes i know part of the idea of IF is to binge at the end of the day that's fine. I feel it can give you a bottomless stomach. The days I didn't do IF i could eat 4000 calories.

I also noticed since my fasts where near the max they should be, sometimes I just didn't want to eat, like in your situation. WHich can lead to eating dissorders, you have to be smart about it, and eat.

I have read that as long as you are using resistance training, are not at a extremely low body fat %, and do not exceed 30 hours (some say 72 hours) you will not go in to "starvation mode" and will not catabolize muscle. One of the benefits of fasting is an increase in HGH. This peaks between 16 and 30 hours in a fasted state.
  • PepeGreggerton
    Options

You shouldn't fast for more than 18hrs, or you risk loss of muscle mass which will slow down your metabolic rate. I don't know what method you're using, what ratios you're using, but I used to do IF daily I'd fast for 16hrs, and eat my caloric goal.

IF is no magic bullet, it really doesn't have an effect in terms of weight loss. It's mostly used for convince. It's easier to cook once, then 3 time a day.

Today I did IF, it was unintentional though, i just wasn't hungry i guess. It did bring in some insight to a new method on how to do it for weight loss. I was able to eat less than normal, but it could have been to the high protein content today. So i won't jump to conclusions on it.

An issue with IF, it can lead to issues in terms of binging. Yes i know part of the idea of IF is to binge at the end of the day that's fine. I feel it can give you a bottomless stomach. The days I didn't do IF i could eat 4000 calories.

I also noticed since my fasts where near the max they should be, sometimes I just didn't want to eat, like in your situation. WHich can lead to eating dissorders, you have to be smart about it, and eat.

Also I don't binge at the end of a fast. I eat a regular meal. 500-600 calories.
  • PepeGreggerton
    Options

I have read that as long as you are using resistance training, are not at a extremely low body fat %, and do not exceed 30 hours (some say 72 hours) you will not go in to "starvation mode" and will not catabolize muscle. One of the benefits of fasting is an increase in HGH. This peaks between 16 and 30 hours in a fasted state.

I was wondering where you got starvation mode from, but i guess it does appear i said something along those lines. The first book i read on the subject was by ori hofmekler, I believe this was out before any other method. I think he created IF. I forgot the exact reason for the max of 17-18hrs, i think it was to prevent excess hormonal stress.

IF has like you said a positive effect on GH, and also adrenaline and of course keeps insulin low. It does have many hormonal benefits.

I've have and read Ori's books. They're not bad. The warrior diet just didn't work for me. Eat Stop Eat is much less invasive in day-to-day life, and is very flexible.
  • LindseyDD
    LindseyDD Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    this is one of the nicest and most informative threads I have read on here - I am glad to see people actually having an adult discussion about something rather than bashing each other for trying new things!
  • Deckershann
    Deckershann Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I BROUGHT TEH POPCORN!! Low cal of course...
  • PepeGreggerton
    Options
    I'm sure the bashing is coming. At which point I will shake my head and walk away while.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    IF works really well for some people. I have a few friends who do it.
    Personally, I cannot due to GI issues. Most days I do choose to "abstain" for a certain period of time to help avoid or correct a binge.
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    A friend asked me

"why you do it like that? I am just really curious. Arent you hungry all day?"

So I thought I would post my response for record purposes.

First of all I have to say ... its not for everyone or most or even some probably more for the few and crazy. When I started on this path a friend suggested this method to me, I thought... "I have tried many diets, and things.... but none have worked." I started to analyze why? well, I found that I could do ANY diet for a while .. but always failed in the end after a little while. I realized there were a few major factors:

1. Deiting NEVER stops. If you are forcing yourself to eat things you deep down don't like all that much, its going to get harder and harder to stay on it as time passes. Its like a vampire.. if they don't feed on blood the thirst will take over. They can eat all the normal food they want ... but if they don't satisfy that thirst it will take control and CRASH! So when you are dieting, its either a lifestyle change which has about a 10-15% chance of sticking or its a marathon that will never end. You can't run a marathon that never ends eventually your legs will give out and you will collapse.If you have that one delicious meal at the end of the day, its like a finish to that race. there is an end each day and a reward. It feels great!

2. Too many DAMN RULES! ... yes you can eat, but only certain things, and only in certain portions.Lets be honest ... health food tastes like crap COMPARED to the good stuff. What tastes better .... box of cookies or bag of salad... umm DUHH!! You also have to make sure its got protien and not too much fat ... and blah blah blah .... Here is my rule... DON"T EAT! Wait till dinner. Eat what you want and its more difficult to go over calorie targets.

3. Calorie Counting is tough on the fly. 90% of people miss calories they are intaking because they snack on this or that or add the salad dressing or ketchup...it all adds up.If you are only eating dinner, you can look at it .. and calculate pretty accuatley because you know you haven't had anything else to eat.

4. The HUNGER! I found that if I stuck to a diet all day .. if I ended up hungry at night .. thats when I would blow my diet. So if you go to bed totally full you feel satisified. Another point about hunger is that I found if I didn't eat breakfast I would be hungry about lunch time. But if I did eat breakfast, i would be SUPER HUNGRY at lunch time and over eat. I can usually stave off hunger using hot tea.

5. I take Multiviatims and fish oil suppliments to help maintain proper nutrition.

6. Strength training. For your body to keep getting at the fat stores, you a little protien to get some fat. so You not only need fat storage but muscle storage for access.

7. Starvation Mode! this is what everyone and thier mother freaks out about when you say you are eating once a day. first of all, it only kicks in if your body have been deprived of less than 1200 calories a day. Second, it only activates if its been 3 days with less than 1200 calories every day.

8. EXPECTATIONS! I don't expect this to work forever, but I am getting some good results at the moment I will continue until I don't.

Lastly, I came to this conclusion.
    Conventional methods work for conventional people.
    Maybe unconventional methods can work for unconventional people.
    Basically, everybody is different and ever BODY is different. If it works for you, then give it a try!
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I fasted for awhile, lost 13 pounds, and didn't gain any of it back. So I know it can be effective. It's just almost impossible to exercise, though, without food to fuel me so I don't do it anymore since I've prioritized strength training. So just make sure it is compatible with your other health goals, too.
  • aquapussy
    Options
    I also have tried it and it works. To keep this short and sweet, our bodies are designed to fast, it can actually be beneficial.

Also the idea of fasting is NOT to binge after the fast, but to eat normally. You can have a carbo load day though which is what I do because I do a lot of intense exercise.

I "graze" fast where I will eat tiny amounts throughout the day to keep from feeling *****y or weak, like some almonds or a piece of fruit.
  • PepeGreggerton
    Options
    I fasted for awhile, lost 13 pounds, and didn't gain any of it back. So I know it can be effective. It's just almost impossible to exercise, though, without food to fuel me so I don't do it anymore since I've prioritized strength training. So just make sure it is compatible with your other health goals, too.

I don't have this problem, I have tons more energy and better workouts when I fast.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting can be amazing. Check out Martin's protocol, it's much less extreme. If anything, go look at Martins client photos :)

Www.leangains.com
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options

36 hours is too long. There is a reason why 24 hours is recommended.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I IF periodically and feel just fine when I do. It's not something I force upon myself... I honestly do it just when I feel like it. I'll usually fast half a day or so. I personally think fasting is healthy and like most of what I've read about it... and I've read lots about it, from different perspectives as well. Some of the 90 day raw juice feasts concern me a bit... but I'm all for IF'ing and fasting in general for a day or so, water only.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options

yeah you need to check out a few things before suggesting this.

Please also describe how it is dangerous?

I seem to be quite healthy myself. and strong. :)

Oh and i dabble in IF. :)

To the OP. there's a group on here, check in there. You will find everything you need.
  • latinqueencee
    latinqueencee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I do IF all of the time. Not because I'm trying to starve myself but because this eat 6 meals a day way of thinking does not work for me. I eat paleo and it is so filling that 2 meals a day is suffice, sometimes I eat 1 meal a day, depending if I'm hungry or not. I do not go 24 hours without eating but 16-18 hours is pretty normal for me and I'm dropping 2-3 pounds weekly and get this......I'm healthy. All of my blood work is within normal ranges, my skin is clear, I'm energetic and aside from a bout of Bronchitis I had a few weeks ago, I have no other ailments or complaints. It all depends on you really, and how long you can go without feeling like you're dying from hunger. If youre hungry, eat. If youre not, dont.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting can be amazing. Check out Martin's protocol, it's much less extreme. If anything, go look at Martins client photos :)

Www.leangains.com

I was just reading up on this today. Seems do-able and even easy. Basically skip breakfast so you can eat a bigger lunch and dinner. I might try it when I cut, but I like milk in my coffee....