To unwrap or not to unwrap presents

Options
UsedToBeHusky
UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
My kids are begging me for a Christmas eve preview. We always opened one present on Christmas Eve when I was a kid, but they only have a handful of gifts (5 or 6) under the tree this year. I've kind of cut back since my kids are bigger and don't really believe in Santa anymore. I just don't want to spoil them too much because, honestly, I spoil them year round. What do you guys think? Should I let them open just one present? Or make them wait it out?

Replies

• ccb1030
    ccb1030 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have young kids, but we let my kids open ONE gift on Christmas Eve. However, mom picks out the gift, and it's always new PJs to wear to bed that night, or a new outfit to wear to church.
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I have young kids, but we let my kids open ONE gift on Christmas Eve. However, mom picks out the gift, and it's always new PJs to wear to bed that night, or a new outfit to wear to church.

Same here. I always buy the kids new PJs specifically to open on Xmas Eve. My eldest is nearly twenty, lol.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Do you eat Thanksgiving dinner on Wednesday night?

Do you pop the cork at 11pm on New Year's?

Do you go to have a big BBQ on July 3rd?
  • vtempes
    Options
    We always opened one gift Christmas Eve and it was ALWAYS a new pair of pajama's! One of my favorite gifts each year...and best childhood memory too!
  • slheitmann
    Options
    I have older boys and I told them that this year we were changing up and not opening until Christmas, patience is something that they need to practice and they were cool with that. I am sure my 13 year old will be up at the crack of dawn, always has and probably always will.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    No pajamas or really any clothes under the tree.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Do you eat Thanksgiving dinner on Wednesday night?

Do you pop the cork at 11pm on New Year's?

Do you go to have a big BBQ on July 3rd?

This makes sense. Never thought of it that way.

My husband started this tradition years ago in our home. We watch movies all evening and all night on Christmas eve and then as soon as midnight strikes we open gifts. He started this when our daughter was about 11 or 12 cause he was going to have to work (he is in the army) over night on Christmas night deploying some troops out so he wanted to be able to sleep in a bit in the morning. It has stuck ever since. We are a bit crazy, but we have fun.

So do whatever works for you all just be sure to have a great time!
  • BioShocked89
    BioShocked89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I'd say, if they behave for the day let them open one at the end of it. But make sure it's one of the less impressive presents, for example if you've got a video game for them and a t-shirt for them, give them the one that will be less exciting to open.

I'd say that would be the video game, but hey-I have a nephew that is more amped up for clothing than his tweenage female cousin. It's kind of funny because he's a jock that's excited about shoes.To each their own!
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I guess I have been able to get away with not having to do this which is good because I also probably give between 6-8 gifts also, but I have never had to do it because we go to my familys on christmas eve where the kids get to open gifts from the grandparents so they never ask..but another thing regardless of whether my kids believe in santa (only 1 of my children of the 3 still do) but just for the "magic" of it I dont even put their gifts under the tree until after they go to bed on christmas eve so the temptation isnt even there for them to see and ask... I agree with the others maybe do the PJs every year on Christmas Eve and make it a tradition if you are going to, saw your post about not having the pjs or clothes, I think that since your like me and just got a few then wait and try to get their minds off of it by watching holiday movies , baking cookies or doing something fun for the holidays
  • crochelle17
    crochelle17 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    growing up my parents always let us open up at least one on christmas eve with a bribe that we couldnt wake them up at 4am on christmas morning like we had been doing previously, lol! what can i say... we were amped for christmas every year :) they liked to sleep in so it just carried on for years with opening one on the eve. i do agree tho that they always gave us like PJs or a stuffed animal or something like that so all the big stuff was for christmas :) that being said both my parents grew up mennonite and they never did presents or decorating or anything at all, so it was all new to them to celebrate :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Our family (six kids) used to exchange gifts we got for each other on Christmas eve, then we'd get the gifts from "Santa" on Christmas morning.
  • anzabeth
    Options
    We also unwrapped pajamas on Christmas Eve when I was a kid. I planned on continuing the tradition, but my middle son was born on Christmas Eve. I feel that it is super important for him o have a birthday and Christmas, so no one else gets to open gifts on Dec 24.
  • bloodguilt
    Options
    My kids are begging me for a Christmas eve preview. We always opened one present on Christmas Eve when I was a kid, but they only have a handful of gifts (5 or 6) under the tree this year. I've kind of cut back since my kids are bigger and don't really believe in Santa anymore. I just don't want to spoil them too much because, honestly, I spoil them year round. What do you guys think? Should I let them open just one present? Or make them wait it out?

Let them go ahead and open them whenever they like. C'mon, after all, it's their gifts! just saying!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    My great-grandmother would always call me on Christmas Eve, and when I answered the phone she would say "Christmas Eve gift!" and chuckle. I thought she was just crazy or something, but it turns out that there's a tradition where the first person to say that gets to open one of their gifts.
  • nukehiker
    Options
    we normally let the kids ( 13 &8 ) open 1 small gift of our choosing. When I was a kid we alway opened our gifts from the family on Christmas eve and then anything we got from Santa on Christmas day.
  • sheppeyescapee
    sheppeyescapee Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I suffered with great insomnia growing up so my parents would let me open my stocking stuff in the wee hours of the morning and then the main presents waited until about lunchtime after we had our fry up for breakfast.
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    As a child, "Santa" always came Christmas Eve .. This was also the time my family gathered together under the tree to open gifts .. right after dinner. THAT was MY childhood memory. Christmas EVE is still, my favourite part of Christmas. It wasn't until after I was married and had children of my own, that I adopted the Christmas morning thing .. because THAT's how my hubby's family celebrated and opened gifts. We still have our Christmas traditions

When my kids were young, we compromised .. and allowed them to open 1 gift on Christmas Eve. It was tradition until they became adults. Personally, I see nothing wrong with it.

In any event .. Merry Christmas to you and your family. Enjoy!
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    No pajamas or really any clothes under the tree.
    Quick!! Run to Carters for pj's! They are 70% off for the footies. About $6.60 each. lol
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    As your kids get older, you should do a small family Secret Santa type thing where you put all your names into a hat and draw one out, and buy that person a present for under 10-15 dollars. Open that on Christmas Eve!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    when we were growing up, we would do presents at one grandmas house on christmas eve (along with that whole side of the family). we would get to open one gift from my mom as well. christmas day would be stuff from santa, the rest of the presents from mom, and presents/dinner at another grandmas house.
    my husbands traditions were way different- all presents from family opened on christmas eve, and santa stuff christmas day.
    with our kids, they open stuff from grandparents on christmas eve (which usually includes a pair of PJs) and then christmas morning they open gifts from us and santa