I am addicted....

Options
to flavored coffee creamer. OMG...nothing I love more than a good cup of coffee...and lately I would come home with as many as 4 different flavors, just to try the new ones. I new this was NOT good but kept doing it anyway...so...since I have restarted the plan. I have basically only had a few cups of coffee...all without the creamer.
This morning, I am treating myself to a cup of coffee...with only 1 serving of Brown Sugar Maple Lattee Creamer in it.. It's heaven. :heart: LOL

Replies

• crochelle17
    crochelle17 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    are the creamers really that bad?? cant you just add them to your diary as part of your calorie intake??
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that as long as you're fitting it in your calories. :)

I drink my coffee black because I never seem to taste the creamer unless I add a ton of it. I can't use just one serving per cup. When I want something special tasting I add some flavored instant coffee to regular brewed coffee, it's really good. Something like this- http://www.kraftbrands.com/maxwellhousecoffee/our-brews/international-cafe/Pages/Default.aspx
  • sucowan
    Options
    A small container of flavored creamer is 25 calories. If you add more than that (like from the refrigerated bottle), you add more calories. So, if you have 4 cups of coffee with the creamer every day, that is an extra 100 calories per day, 700 per week.

I had to do the math about the wine I was drinking every night. My excuse was that I don't drink soft drinks, I don't eat this, I don't eat that. But, just one glass of wine every night (the size I drink) was about 150 calories. That's 1000 calories per week. Plus, we go out on Friday night as a date night and I would have 2-3 glasses or maybe a Margarita (even worse). That's 1450 -1800 calories per week. That's a pound every 2 to 2.5 weeks. I've given it all up. I've lost 2 lbs in one week. Waiting to see how this continues!
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Because I really like to keep my diet as clean as possible I loath coffee creamer, HOWEVER it's a habit, desire I cannot break. I started out needing 8 TBSPs in one LARGE cup. I've weaned myself down to 4, but that's a low as I'll go and I allow for the cals everyday because it's just my routine, the way I start my morning and it just one of those things I won't give up. I think you'll survive :)
  • amfaery
    amfaery Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I love coffee creamer I dont count it :) Maple brown sugar sounds so good I never had that one
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I am with ya'll on this one!!!! Sweet Italian Cream is my weakness. I did the math and realized I am putting about 3500 calories a week in my coffee... that alone would be 1 lb a week gone!! I am measuring it now, but yeah, 3-4 TBS per cup seems to be the way I like it... SO next week when I start walking again, I will skip it during the week (aren't ya'll glad you aren't my co-workers?! :grumble: ), and just enjoy on the weekends.... and maybe use a smaller mug??? :ohwell:
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I like flavored coffee. And when I run out- just a drop or two of vanilla extract or some other extract (in the whole pot!) makes the coffee special without adding calories.
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I love coffee creamer but I am happy with half of a teaspoon. I started at a tablespoon and moved down to 1/2 teaspoon. I also put in 1/2 teaspoon of sugar. I don't use the splenda type sugar because it cause tingling in my extremities like restless leg syndrome when i'm in bed. I think the combo of sugar and creamer is only 30 calories and i add it to mfp and mfp does all the work adding it for me :). I just ove this place.
  • casi_ann
    Options
    I like flavored coffee. And when I run out- just a drop or two of vanilla extract or some other extract (in the whole pot!) makes the coffee special without adding calories.

That is such a good idea, thanks for sharing it.
  • casi_ann
    Options
    Sorry messed up on the top post and tried to delete it :)
  • meggie64690
    Options
    Here a tip I use: I fill the bottom of my coffee mug less than 1/4th full with silk soy milk, and the rest with coffee, it tastes really good and its a lot better for you! creamers are loaded with fat and sugar, both of which are awful!
  • meggie64690
    Options
    Yes they are bad, they have fat as you know but are also loaded with sugar. Milk is a better alternative because at least you are getting all the nutrient benefits from it, with the recommended 3 cups a day.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Try unsweetened Almond Milk (Blue Diamond)
  • mussmom
    mussmom Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I too loved coffee creamer untill I read that if there is less than half a gram of trans fat per serving in a product, then companies don't have to list it. They can say "zero trans fat"! If you look at the ingredients to almost all creamers, it lists partially hydrogenated oils (trans fat). I figured that as much creamer I liked per cup was over a serving, and I drink up to three mugfulls a day. I was over my 2 grams per day of trans fat-easy! That is the amount they say is the minimum each day that is harmful. Makes me mad, cause I too LOVED creamer. I have converted over to sugar free syrups and almond milk, or 1% milk and the syrup. Some people put a dash of nutmeg and cin. In the grounds before brewing.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I love coffee creamer I dont count it :) Maple brown sugar sounds so good I never had that one
    You should count all your calories. Telling people not to count their little treats is not good advice.
  • crodrigu73
    crodrigu73 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I just discovered the sugar free peppermint mocha creamer. I love it and it is a substitute for the real Holiday Mint Mocha I used to enjoy during Christmas. I can make a coffee now with 45 calories vs the 300 for the real thing. I love it.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    are the creamers really that bad?? cant you just add them to your diary as part of your calorie intake??

I haven't given coffee + cream up been having it every day since I joined MFP!

As long as you count it, enjoy!
  • mdebbie1026
    mdebbie1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have one or two cups of flavored coffee most days with the flavored creamers, love them, sometimes I pour it over a glass of ice and sip it to help it last longer. Love them. I am crazy for Caramel Macchiotto, Mocha Mint and Pumpkin Spice, but there are not too many I don't like. I count them in my diary.
  • cjdueck
    cjdueck Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you though of flavored Stevia? lt is a natural herb, zero calories :)...you can also add vanilla extract and stevia for sweetening and steamed milk and it makes a yummy vanilla latte!
  • anyonebutmehaha
    Options
    just a thought...i don't know if it works since i love the taste of coffee, the stronger the better, so only add a dash of NF milk so as not to change the lovely coffee taste..... but what if you bought flavored coffees instead of flavored creamers? like you could even throw some cinnamon into reg coffee beans when you're brewing. would that cut down on cals and stuff for ya?