Has anyone ever tried Bison?

Options
2»

Replies

• MandyMarie01
    MandyMarie01 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I've had it one time and man is it good!!! it's sweeter taste than hamburger and it's better for you. :) Was wanting some yesterday lol, but didn't have any lol
  • Football_N_Guns
    Football_N_Guns Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Did you like it? Thoughts/comments?

I have a freezer full of it. Much healthier than beef. Also, drier though. One trick I have learned is to soak the meat in Mt. Dew, which helps tenderize and takes some of the wild taste out.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    If I could afford it I would buy it instead of beef for almost everything. I've had tenderloins and ribeyes and have used the ground meat for tacos and spaghetti sauce. My cousin shot one a few years ago and I ended up with some of the ground meat. It was really good.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

I have a freezer full of it. Much healthier than beef. Also, drier though. One trick I have learned is to soak the meat in Mt. Dew, which helps tenderize and takes some of the wild taste out.

Try soaking it in buttermilk overnight.

(Also ... see you're a Texans fan. I know Danieal Manning a bit. Love that kid.)
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Love it! Also, moose. Drier but hey, you're supposed to get healthy oils in anyway, so add a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, and you're good. :-)
  • Redfieldr
    Options
    Bison is one of my favorite Street Fighter Characters...

The meat is also great (in the form of a burger).
  • jheath123
    Options
    I love it, although it is expensive around 8 dollars a pound. It has less calories than a turkey burger about 160 for 4 oz. And depending on the cooking method possibly less. I think they hold flavor better than beef somewhat.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    It is healthy and delicous!!! Love buffalo burgers!!! And elk burgers! So good!!!
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have eaten it and it is really good!! =)
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options

I know that this may appear to be unhealthy, but Buttermilk and Yogurt are the best tenderizers. I have used this in BBQ competitions. Just drain off the meat and pat dry before cooking.

Highly acidic marinades (Citrus, Vinegar, Wine, etc) can toughen the outside of the meat. Enzymatic marinades (Papaya, Pineapple, etc.) do too good of job and cause the surface to go to mush.

Cooking low and slow also helps.

That being said, when cooking Bison, I usually just add spices and skip the marinades.