Low Calorie coffee?

Options
Sorry if this is a stupid topic...but I just got a single cup maker for coffee...and am low on calories for today, can anyone tell me the brands to buy for best tasting, yet low cal coffee? How do you make your coffee the most low calorie? (without being black) I like to use the flavored creamers, but are there healthier alternatives that taste the same? Thanks!

Replies

• nicksaysnever
    Options
    I add chocolate soy milk to my coffee. It tastes delicious! It might not be quite as sweet as a creamer, but I honestly don't miss that at all.
  • justanotherbrickinthewall
    Options
    I have a Keurig and many of the brands have flavored coffee- I currently have a 48 pack that has gingerbread, eggnog, and French toast flavors. They only have about 2 calories. I put 1% milk in my coffee and usually put less than 1/4 cup with three Sweet 'n Low. I've been putting less and less milk and gradually I seem to be preferring no milk in my coffee.
  • uboom
    uboom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I use vanilla almond milk
  • speedycakes
    speedycakes Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I use vanilla soy milk, chocolate sounds interesting though.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I like soy milk and flavored sugar-free syrup from DaVinci or Torani - the caramel and coconut flavors are my favorite, and no calories!
  • loisann221
    Options
    I use Silk Soy Creamer, it's a lot lower in calorie than regular creamer. Bonus points if you buy the original flavor instead of the vanilla, which has a lot more sugar.

I add a little bit of ground cinnamon to my coffee. Even better when you add it to the grounds!
  • WishfulShrinking331
    Options
    You can learn to love black coffee!! I was the biggest creamer person in the world, my coffee was the lightest thing ever but after I realized how many unnecessary calories were in coffee creamer I decided to cut it out. Just try it for a week. The Keurig is great for the transition, the doughnut shop coffees are really good and my favorites are Gloria Jeans Cappuccino flavored and Folgers Vanilla Biscotti. Try black coffee in the morning when you really need to wake up. Trust me it'll make you love coffee more!!
  • plzlbsbegone
    Options
    I like sugar free flavored creamers. the one I use is 30 cals, french vanilla. I also use truvia sometimes and a dash of skim milk to sweeten it, works for me!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    You can learn to love black coffee!!

I disagree, that stuff is vile. LOL. I cannot stand coffee unless it barely even tastes like coffee anymore. LOL
  • gunmetalsunrise
    Options
    I was told once that a lot of North American coffee is ****, and that's why most people sweeten it. If it's done "right" (whatever that is) you can actually stand to have it black.

Then again, I don't drink coffee. :)
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    If the coffee is made correctly, I agree, it's enjoyable to make black. In the OP's situation where they have a Kurig, which takes any sort of guess work out of it, my best suggestion would be to use a sweetened almond milk. Almond Breeze has a 40cal / cup version. It doesn't taste the same as real cream variations but it does smooth out the coffee a bit. On top of that, you could just add some of your fav. calorie free sugar alternative.
  • loisann221
    Options
    by the way, 1 Tbsp of the Silk creamer is 15 calories- a heck of a lot less than most normal creamers. It might be a little more per Tbsp than milk, but it's nice and creamy.
  • thekickinside
    thekickinside Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use Hood Country Creamer lactose and cholesterol free. 15 calories per tablespoon. For a creamer, that's a steal calorie-wise.

The Fresh Market grocery stores provide coffee samples throughout the day every day and they offer Hood brand creamer to sample with it. I tried it once and was hooked (good job at marketing, Fresh Market). It's quite delicious, great for lactose intolerant individuals and has a creamy texture. It comes in a large carton for around 2 bucks.

I put 4 tablespoons in my black french pressed coffee. I use off brand splenda for sweetener. 2 cal. (coffee) + 60 cal. (4 tbsp creamer) makes my morning cup of coffee a whopping total of 62 calories.

I'm considering transitioning from the creamer to the almond milk that I already use for other food and lower coffee calories even more. Silk Almond Milk (Unsweetened Vanilla) is 30 calories for an entire cup. I certainly won't be using an entire cup for my coffee so I'd say if I transition entirely I can lower my morning coffee to 17 calories or less.

At 1000 calories a day limit, a 45 calorie difference is substantial. Some of my supplements (calcium chews, etc.) are 20 cal a pop. I couldn't imagine having a 200 to 250 calorie cup of coffee every day! That'd be a quarter of my entire day's calorie allowance!
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    + 1 for black coffee.

I also totally recommend tasty tea plain if that's not your jam.

(Though, I can't really answer OP's question. All the calories in your coffee are basically in what you add to it. Check some labels for various creamers and substitutes at the supermarket and pick out something in the calorie range you want that looks drinkable.)
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Over the years I've worked at decreasing the amount of creamer I use in coffee. I went from 2 TBS of flavored creamer to 1/2 TBS of sugar free flavored creamer and stevia. It's still not the best as far as health to be using SF creamers, but that is a great as compromise as I am willing to make at this time in regards to my coffee.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Black coffee has virtually no calories. It's the junk people add to it that adds up quickly.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    one tsp heavy cream is only 50 calories...
    or a small tea spoon of coconut oil...only 60 calories...
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I like Coffee Mate Caramel Coconut creamer. I think it's limited edition tho, since it's a Girl Scout cookie flavor. It's 35cals for 1 tablespoon, it all you need.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I just put a bit of whole milk in my coffee. We don't tend to have creamers in England. I used to have sugar in it years ago, but stopped that and now can't stand sweet coffee.

I get either Carte Noire Instinct, Kenco Millicano or Nescafé Azera, all instant coffees, but they taste like 'proper' coffee! Not sure if you can get these in the US though.