What to do when you do not know the info on the food you hav

rmccully
rmccully Posts: 319
edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
I had lunch with a girl friend of mine today, we went to Bangkok Kitchen (a Thia place in the Toledo Ohio area) I asked if they had the Nut. info on the meals and thet said no.

How do I add something to the day when I don't know what it is?

Replies

• rmccully
    I had lunch with a girl friend of mine today, we went to Bangkok Kitchen (a Thia place in the Toledo Ohio area) I asked if they had the Nut. info on the meals and thet said no.

How do I add something to the day when I don't know what it is?
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    If you had items that can be found at similar restaurants like it, use those. Check out a few different ones and see if you can find an average calorie amount....it may not be very accurate, but it's a start and you'll have some idea of how much you ate.
  • plm209
    plm209 Posts: 222 Member
    Look for similar items in the food database. This is one of the hardest things to do because you have to measure portions and assume ingredients are similar. I usually err on the larger side and overestimate the portion and calories when I go out and don't know the calories. Its better to overguess and eat a little under your calories than to go over. GL!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    What I do is break it down into elements that I do know. Another trick is to find something similar -- so if I have chicken teriyaki at one restaurant, I'll use the info from another restaurant's dish. But I wouldn't use a Lean Cuisine or home-made version of the dish because those are likely to be too different from what a restaurant would do.
  • jagodragon
    jagodragon Posts: 32 Member
    try this web site, it looks like it might have what you need, or at least a rough estimate.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    p.s. I have that same problem with most arabic restaurants. I love the food, and I'm pretty sure its fairly good for you, but I hate trying to log it because I just don't know.

Restaurants without nutrition info is very frustrating :explode:
  • rmccully
    Thanks for the help everyone. I think every food place what ever it is should have the info to give if asked the question. Don't ya think. :)

I think how bad can a bunch of veggies and some rice be. I probably don't even want to know.
  • rmccully
    And these palce should give real portions. I swear the amount of food that was on my plate was at least 4 servings. So I was good and only ate about 1/4 of what was there.
  • I'm new here, so forgive me if I'm posting something everyone already knows. Have you seen this web site:

http://www.dwlz.com/restaurants.html

It's geared around Weight Watchers and their points systems, but nutritional content is there for restaurant meals, as well.

Robyn
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Remember to check if the restaurant has their own web site with nutritional info. A lot of times the workers there don't even know anything about it, but it may be on their web site.
This discussion has been closed.