Any success stories with improved snoring or sleep apnea

Options
Are there any success stories of anyone who has lost weight and their snoring has improved or their sleep apnea disappeared?

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • zendarah
    zendarah Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am a nursing student and I've have never had sleep apnea. Here is a study I found which shows the benefits of weight loss in treating sleep apnea

http://www.bmj.com/content/339/bmj.b4609

An abstract from the above study

"Results Of the 63 eligible patients, 30 were randomised to intervention and 33 to control. Two patients in the control group were dissatisfied with allocation and immediately discontinued. All other patients completed the trial. Both groups had a mean AHI of 37 events/h (SD 15) at baseline. At week 9, the intervention group’s mean body weight was 20 kg (95% confidence interval 18 to 21) lower than that of the control group, while its mean AHI was 23 events/h (15 to 30) lower. In the intervention group, five of 30 (17%) were disease free after the energy restricted diet (AHI <5), with 15 of 30 (50%) having mild disease (AHI 5-14.9), whereas the AHI of all patients in the control group except one remained at 15 or higher. In a subgroup analysis of the intervention group, baseline AHI significantly modified the effectiveness of treatment, with a greater improvement in AHI in patients with severe obstructive sleep apnoea (AHI >30) at baseline compared with those with moderate (AHI 15-30) sleep apnoea (AHI −38 v −12, P<0.001), despite similar weight loss (−19.2 v −18.2 kg, P=0.55).

Conclusion Treatment with a low energy diet improved obstructive sleep apnoea in obese men, with the greatest effect in patients with severe disease. Long term treatment studies are needed to validate weight loss as a primary treatment strategy for obstructive sleep apnoea."

Hope that helps :)
  • Want2weigh165
    Options
    It sure does!!! Thanks
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I used to snore so badly my husband wore ear plugs to bed, now I've lost weight my snoring has gone completely.
  • Want2weigh165
    Options
    I used to snore so badly my husband wore ear plugs to bed, now I've lost weight my snoring has gone completely.

Wow!!!!! Thats huge! Good for you!!!
  • judyw51
    Options
    I am 52 and have used a Sleep Apnea machine for 15 years in the last year I have lost 65 Lbs. The weird part is my Sleep Apnea actually got worse. I did another sleep study last month and the pressure on my machine went from 11 to 17.

I am only very close to my goal weight and my BMI is at 21 now so I do not have much to lose anymore.

Other than the Apnea I am now very healthy. My BP is way down so is my cholesterol. I also quit a 40 year smoking habit 4 months ago.

Judy
  • Want2weigh165
    Options
    I am 52 and have used a Sleep Apnea machine for 15 years in the last year I have lost 65 Lbs. The weird part is my Sleep Apnea actually got worse. I did another sleep study last month and the pressure on my machine went from 11 to 17.

I am only very close to my goal weight and my BMI is at 21 now so I do not have much to lose anymore.

Other than the Apnea I am now very healthy. My BP is way down so is my cholesterol. I also quit a 40 year smoking habit 4 months ago.

Judy

Wonderful job with getting healthiercall around. I hope your apnea will disappear! Lower bp and quitting smoking is commendable
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    You should have a sleep study done not all apnea/snoring is related to weight....you may need a Cpap machine....Im overweight BUT my apnea etc is related to my deviated septum..I use a Cpap because I was only getting 70% oxygen and I was losing my breath 64 times and hour..once every minute....the doctor said I actually stopped breathing for a period of 48 sec...I guess there is a lot of complications and hazards such as stroke, heart issues.....I would suggest having another sleep study done every 20lbs..just to get the results
  • rachellosesitall85
    rachellosesitall85 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    My husband and myself noticed that when I have too much weight (on my chest I'm guessing?) that I snore and the ear plugs daily are causing him to get infections :( As soon as I'm down like 5-10lbs it stops. As of now, I'm still snoring since I gained a little back but I'm working out and my eating is getting better so it won't be long before it stops again hopefully for good this time.
  • Want2weigh165
    Options
    wow, I was not aware that sleep apnea could occur for other reasons other than being over weight! I do need to get a sleep study done. I woke up last night gasping for air. I was not sure if I was a dream or not but I faintly remember several times waking up feeling like I was not breathing. this has happened before but mostly since I have been overweight
  • candlelady
    candlelady Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Me too! I even used to wake myself up with my snoring :)
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    You should talk to my wife, lol. Before I started on MFP I snored terribly and probably did have sleep apnea (not diagnosed). After a couple of months of working out and losing weight I am sleeping so quietly my wife once checked to see if I was actually breathing because I was so quiet, lol. True story......:laugh:
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    My husband has lost over 70lbs and now rarely snores. He used to snore so bad I could hear him throughout the house! Now it's just a mild snore if his allergies are bad. I have ditched the ear plugs!

I agree with the others about getting a sleep test done. It's not something to take lightly.
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I have moderately severe sleep apnoea and have used a CPAP machine for the last 2 years. Since I've lost a lot of weight I do find the pre-set pressure disturbs my sleep.

Another symptom of sleep apnoea is the need to spend a penny frequently throughout the night. Because your body isn't falling into the deep level of sleep required, and excess fluid is building up throughout your body and especially around your heart, your brain keeps telling your kidneys to wake up and get to work trying to flush away the excess fluid.

Since I've been using my CPAP machine I've gone from spending a penny every 30-45 minutes during the night to not at all, or maybe just once.

I'm not due to see my consultant until next May, and by then I should be at least 5 stones down from when I last saw him, but I won't hold my breath that they'll stop treatment, if you pardon the pun :(
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I was heavy from about 1998 to 2006 and then 295 from 2007 to 2010. I snored throughout that time. I stopped snoring about a year ago.

The significant changes were that I drink very, very little (about a glass of wine every other month) and I weigh much less than. Alcohol tends to cause snoring because it relaxes the muscles in the body, including in the chest and the diaphragm. I'm not sure why obesity causes more snoring (see Google) but I've seen a cause/effect relationship confirmed many times in the past.

Best way to find out? DO IT! :-)
  • Want2weigh165
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Im feeling more encouraged to lose weight for my health!!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Yes.

I quit drinking and my snoring got quieter.

I quit smoking and it got even better.

I started eating right (which cleared up my acid reflux) and it got better still.

I lost weight.

I haven't heard my wife complain about it in a VERY long time, so maybe it's gone??
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Yes me. At my worst I was put in a sleep study and they woke me up after just 2 hours to hook me up to a CPAP. I was averaging 70 sleep disruptions per hour. I couldn't sleep for a full minute at a time. I was always drained and incredibly unhealthy. I was also carrying around over 100 pounds too many. I never did get used to using the CPAP. After I'd lost around 80 pounds the snoring completely disappeared. I sleep like a baby through the night. Everyone in this house is happier.
  • Mybabie
    Mybabie Posts: 239
    Options
    One yr ago my husband had the worst sleep apnea numbers they have ever seen. This yr he is almost normal numbers. He can now sleep without his machine and hardly snores. :smile:
  • davidlbass
    davidlbass Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I haven't been diagnosed with sleep apnea but my snoring is almost completely gone, my mind is 100% clearer during the day and I'm not as grouchy as I used to be.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!