Looking to become vegetarian. . . without going anemic

Options
Hey I see that many members of this site bond together and happily give advice and many encouragements to fellow members which is a relief as I rarely ask people for advice (even in the real world). Without further ado. . .

I am looking to become vegetarian in the coming year. Unfortunately I've done it in the past and have gone anemic (the last time I tried vegetarianism was senior year of high school- five years ago). Now five years later I'm ready to try it again and would like a few tips and maybe some shared experiences.

Thank you. :)

Replies

• RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    what is your reasoning for wanting to become a vegetarian? Just curious, you are more healthy if you eat a variety of foods. =)
  • kschhr
    kschhr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting your iron! I would take a supplement if you're having troubles with anemia. Maybe eat things specifically for their iron content (spinach, olives, etc) or do like I do and use a cast iron pan to cook. :)
  • mtncl1mb3r
    Options
    I'm looking to give it a fair shot. I am an open minded person and I try new things and new experiences when possible to enhance my knowledge.

It is true eating a variety of foods is healthy. I'm not looking to go vegan- I'm planning on eating tofu, legumes, soy, eggs, cheese and at least 6 ounces of fish per month for protein.
  • shasha_84
    Options
    Good luck! I switched to a vegan diet a couple months ago and I love it! I have never felt better physically and emotionally. I hope it works out for you this time.
  • mtncl1mb3r
    Options
    Make sure you're getting your iron! I would take a supplement if you're having troubles with anemia. Maybe eat things specifically for their iron content (spinach, olives, etc) or do like I do and use a cast iron pan to cook. :)

I hadn't thought of that. Thank you I will look into that.
  • mtncl1mb3r
    Options
    The cooking with the cast iron pan and eating olives that is :)
  • chai_latte
    chai_latte Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    hi there!

I've always maintained a vegetarian diet from when I was young....and yes I have to make sure that I take a multivitamin everyday and eat lots of green foods :)

it's not difficult and you'll have lots of fun cooking veggie items, many many good recipes online!!! welcome to the club! :)
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for over 25 years and almost a vegetarian for 25 years before that, and have rarely been low on iron. Take a prenatal vitamin, that is what a Dr. told me to do once. I was not in my baby making years then and asked him about an iron pill and he said those would be all I needed. I do take a B12 dot every day. Even non vegetarians get anemic.
  • mtncl1mb3r
    Options
    @i_like_turtle : I like your ticker. That is so true. :)
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I'm working with Dr. Fuhrman's Eat to Live plan. Lots of plant veggies as compared to pasta and other grains. Check out his website: http://www.drfuhrman.com.

From Webmd.com: It is the dark green leafies (such as spinach and collards), dried fruit (such as raisins & prunes), beans, lentils, chick peas, and soy beans, artichokes, and iron-enriched cereals and grains (check the labels) that give you the iron. If you eat iron-rich foods along with foods that provide plenty of vitamin C, your body can better absorb the iron, too.
  • mtncl1mb3r
    Options
    @ LethaSue : yes that is true about non vegetarians and anemia. I'll have to chat with my doctor about the prenatal vitamin idea. I had heard that works. I'll be sure to ask my doctor about that. Thanks
  • peaceinside
    Options
    I have been a vegi for over a year now. I didn't plan it, it just happened. I have not had one problem with anything but there are so many resources available it's fun (for me anyway) to keep learning and learning. I certainly don't do perfectly every day but neither do those who eat meat. I do take a daily multi (but I did that when I ate meat too). Here is a starter for you on resources :)
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/209812-list-of-iron-rich-foods-for-vegetarians/

Peace! :flowerforyou:
  • mtncl1mb3r
    Options
    I have been a vegi for over a year now. I didn't plan it, it just happened. I have not had one problem with anything but there are so many resources available it's fun (for me anyway) to keep learning and learning. I certainly don't do perfectly every day but neither do those who eat meat. I do take a daily multi (but I did that when I ate meat too). Here is a starter for you on resources :)
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/209812-list-of-iron-rich-foods-for-vegetarians/

Peace! :flowerforyou:

Thank you!! :)
  • floweringcurrant
    floweringcurrant Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for ten years. There was a point in time where the foods I was eating (as a vegetarian) were really not nourishing my body or good for me. Within the past two years especially I've changed that and I have never felt better. I know some people personally who really suffered as vegetarians because they were not properly taking care of themselves or eating a variety of whole foods - when they started eating meat it was what their body needed. I have yet to feel like I really *need* or want meat. Sometimes it looks good, but I don't crave it or feel deprived without it.

I eat lots of vegetables; salads, spinach, kale, lots of fruits, whole grains like brown rice (quinoa is great too). I do eat some tofu but try not to overdo it. Legumes are great for getting enough protein as well as nuts. I use a raw protein powder called Beyond Organic in a smoothie sometimes in the mornings. I'm also intolerant of dairy (although I do eat sometimes and pay the price) so that has been another elimination. It's actually made me feel better than before, though. If you learn how to balance your diet right for your body being a vegetarian really can work. But in my opinion, you can't be afraid of fats and sugars and carbohydrates - that will just lead to malnutrition and feelings of deprivation. You just have to learn the right ones to eat. Good luck!

PS! I do take multivitamins, iron, vit-D, B12, and calcium most mornings!
  • mtncl1mb3r
    Options
    Thank you floweringcurrent :)
  • KateEMD
    KateEMD Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hey. I just became vegetarian about 5 months ago. It has been a hard switch but what I have found to be helpful is making sure I get my fish in regularly. I also sometimes have protein shakes and a good snack for me is cooking up a can of bean with a lot of seasoning. I also eat quinoa on a regular basis. There are fantastic recipes out there for quinoa and it is a great side for most meals. I also make sure I have a travel pack of almonds and walnuts with me in my purse at all times for a snack.