Thyroid Problems and Losing weight...

Options
Hello there!

Ok, I am a Zumba Instructor that has had some Ladies that have been on a couple of my fitness challenges, go to my classes either presently or in the past....
I have one Lady that has recently messaged me this:

" My diet is horrible. If I wasn't fixed I would honestly swear I was pregnant. I crave food...I eat like I am in the military. I can eat what is on my plate before I even really tasted or enjoyed it...which leads to me thinking dang I am still hungry...and over eating. My thyroid has been messed up since I had my youngest son, but now that I have put on a good bit of weight it is really acting crazy. What is so sad is I know all the rules to eating right and loosing weight...I just can't do it for some reason I do want to work on it..."

I want to help her as much as possible but with a thyroid problem, I do not know what advice to give her...Other than begin eating right, watch the calorie intake, exercise...etc....

Any of you out there with a Thyroid Problem and having these same type of symptoms...what did you do..what have you done..what are you still doing????

Thanks!!!!

Replies

• JipsyJudy
    JipsyJudy Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    She needs to see a doctor. If she actually has low thyroid function, she should be taking medication.
  • tnvolsfan74
    tnvolsfan74 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have thyroid disease and have had similar experiences. Thankfully, it doesn't happen frequently. I am on synthroid, so if she isn't on medication, that would be suggestion 1. Keep healthy snacks available and suggest she increase her water intake. Increasing my water has helped me in so many ways. My thyroid is still a bit all over the place, but I have been able to lose weight. I wish her the best - it is very nice of you to take the time to help her. On a side note, I :heart: Zumba! :happy:
  • MartiJJohnston
    Options
    First of all, you are an awesome person for worrying and trying to help your friend. :flowerforyou:

I have the exact same struggles... My thyroid got out of whack (again) after a very stressful event this year, even though I was eating clean, etc. Then I just gave up and went overboard the other way. You can tell your friend to message me if she wants to. :smile:
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Might not be her thyroid, she really ought to get a full checkup if she has any health insurance at all. I have a low thyroid issue and I do have a lot of trouble losing but I most of my eating has been distracted eating. You know, you think you'll eat just one and a couple of hours later you realize every time you walk by the bag you take one, or you're reading and not paying attention. There are a lot of reasons for runaway appetite and many are medical. not mental. I do have to plan ahead and make myself really healthy but not small portion meals. So a salad that starts with 2 cups of spinach and goes from there. Or a breakfast with all sorts of stuff in it but is 300 calories. My diary is open, maybe it would be of help, I don't know, but eating fast used to kill me when I was younger, I'd eat it all and be like, "i'm still hungry" well yeah, my body missed the message. So I eat slow and steady now and it makes a huge difference (intestinal problems means everything must me thoroughly chewed.) She might start there, slow and easy, water with meals and contemplate the food.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I found a lot of beneficial information with the fat flush plan by dr Ann Louise gittleman. I also did saliva hormone testing and treated my adrenal fatigue before my thyroid balanced. The is also a good book on adrenal fatigue by dr James Wilson.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Hello there!

Ok, I am a Zumba Instructor that has had some Ladies that have been on a couple of my fitness challenges, go to my classes either presently or in the past....
    I have one Lady that has recently messaged me this:

" My diet is horrible. If I wasn't fixed I would honestly swear I was pregnant. I crave food...I eat like I am in the military. I can eat what is on my plate before I even really tasted or enjoyed it...which leads to me thinking dang I am still hungry...and over eating. My thyroid has been messed up since I had my youngest son, but now that I have put on a good bit of weight it is really acting crazy. What is so sad is I know all the rules to eating right and loosing weight...I just can't do it for some reason I do want to work on it..."

I want to help her as much as possible but with a thyroid problem, I do not know what advice to give her...Other than begin eating right, watch the calorie intake, exercise...etc....

Any of you out there with a Thyroid Problem and having these same type of symptoms...what did you do..what have you done..what are you still doing????

Thanks!!!!

It sounds like it is not JUST a thyroid problem. There are also other hormones that are probably giving her issues.
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    I have an underactive thyroid and it hasn't stalled my weight loss at all. The only symptoms I had was being cold all the time and dry skin, and unfortuntely I'm still always cold even though I'm on meds.

How does she know her thyroid was "messed up" since her youngest son.

She needs to call her Dr. and get some bloodwork done. They will test her T3-T4 and determine if there is an issue. If so, they will put her on medication (I take Synthroid 75mcg) and she will have to have blood tests done every 3-6 months to make sure the dose it correct, then each year after that.

This isn't going to go over well but alot of people blame their weight on their throid (hello Oprah)- sometimes it really is a medical issue, other times it's an excuse.

Hope that helps.
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Thank you so far everyone! I'll be trying to put it all together for her...and also find out if she's been to her doctor and had any type of work up....