Eating Disorders

Options

Replies

• lucylou9701
    Options
    In recovery from EDNOS :) making good progress!
  • ptweightloss
    Options
    In recovery again for EDNOS, was in recovery two years ago and relapsed. Having many ups and downs right now, but trying my best!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I want to recover from anorexia, but it just keeps getting worse. Now I'm 5'3" and 89 pounds.
    Yikes!
    Think of the future you who cant have kids and has to take hormone replacement!
    Eat!
    BTW I love girls with curves!
    =D
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    BTW if anyone needs numbers ran for gaining weight I can help.
    Just let me know via PM since I can see those with the iPod!
    I can get you gaining up to 6-12lbs a year the healthy way.
    Hugs!
    The healthy way means lean massing!
  • sarahlovestorun
    sarahlovestorun Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm in recovery. I was diagnosed with anorexia nervosa in 6th grade but last year it was changed to EDNOS as I had gained some weight back from developing some bulimic tendencies.
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    first off, to the OP - putting yourself out there is tough. glad to see you recognize the need to recover and are willing to put in the work it takes to do so!

i was diagnosed with anorexia at 15 years old. when i went to the doctor, at my height of 5'7", i weighed about 100 lbs. i didn't take the step toward recovery until years later, at about 21. i remember guzzling gallons of water to "feel full", exercising for four hours a day (or more). i had pretty severe bruising on my ribs and hips, because i had no padding to protect me from the simplest of things - sitting down in a chair, or even lying on the bed. one morning, i just looked at myself in the mirror, having drank so much water that i felt lightheaded and was getting nosebleeds, and said "this HAS to stop." at the time, i weighed about 93 lbs.

having been in recovery and more or less recovered, i can say the road isn't an easy one. i still struggle with balancing "normal" eating and exercise.

you have to fight that voice in your head each and every day.

but i'm here to support you! and there'll be lots of others on your side, as well.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Trying to recover from EDNOS before I get rediagnosed as anorexic. Had anorexia when I was a kid too. There are at least 3 groups on here supporting ED sufferers and recoverers.
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I suffered from bulimia. It started when I went away to college, and lasted about 4-5 years. I have gotten so good at it that I didn't need to stick anything into my mouth in order to induce vomiting. I knew all along that it wasn't healthy, that it was going to ruin my teeth, but my wake-up call came when each time I made myself vomit, I would vomit a good amount of blood. And I stopped. Sort of cold turkey, if you will. I haven't done it in 5 years or so, but the urge is there every time I feel like I've overeaten. I am proud of myself because I have overcome it on my own.
  • idahogirl71
    idahogirl71 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    When in my late teens/early twenties I was bulimic. Prior to and since then I deal with binge eating and just plain overeating, yet all my life lived in denial about all of it. I no longer purge, but have to force myself not too because the thought is ALWAYS there. Funny I read this post today because I just last night contacted a 12-step recovery program that I will be starting next week.
  • yukimiyazawa
    yukimiyazawa Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    anorexia. not exactly recovering, though. add me if you wish. it's nice to have friends on here who understand.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    In recovery for Binge Eating Disorder since Feb 2010.
  • busterbluth
    busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I want to recover from anorexia, but it just keeps getting worse. Now I'm 5'3" and 89 pounds.
    Yikes!
    Think of the future you who cant have kids and has to take hormone replacement!
    Eat!
    BTW I love girls with curves!
    =D

I know you're trying to be helpful (god love you) but that's not really helpful. BTW, I thought I couldn't get pregnant because of years of disordered eating (mine started, literally, before I can even remember in childhood), and I got pregnant while I was in recovery (last time).
  • busterbluth
    busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
    Options

What did you have to go through in order to understand that the ED was harming you?
    Are you willing to point the finger at someone who is in the midst of their ED and tell them to get help?
    Are you willing to say something to people who congratulate someones diary that is way too low?

Honestly, I knew the ED was harmful (theoretically--most people with disorders be it ED or substance abuse, etc, have a "it could never happen to me" outlook, at least to some extent). I'm a lot older than these folks and grew up in a different. . ."world" of eating disorders, though: as a child/adolescent/young adult with anorexia, it was VERY ALIENATING and LONELY, and these girls now have online communities where they egg each other on and compete (I don't believe they'll make them all anorexic, but they're harmful nonetheless). The only "community" I had was when I was inpatient or in group therapy. Anyway, the only way I've gotten help was, really, when I've just gotten so exhausted from it all, mentally and physically. It's not a sustainable lifestyle. You end up either switching to binging and purging, or you stop.

I don't really believe in "confrontation"-style intervention (ironically, I also have a MA in psychology); however, I do believe in just telling people that I'm there for them if they need me or need help. People can't be forced into treatment or help. It doesn't work. I have had to cut people out of my life with ED before, though, while in treatment because it was too triggering for me.

Regarding the last question, though, I will call those people out, as well as people who give "tips." This mess has really dominated my whole life, and I am not about to tell someone else how they can destroy theirs. I'm in my 30s and don't have gainful employment (despite having a masters degree and a child), have been inpatient 5 times and intensive outpatient other times. I have a lot of health problems. This isn't just a problem for teens: I had 40, 50, 60 year olds in my last group. That REALLY motivated me for recovery.
  • banana1244
    Options
    I suffer from binge eating disorder.
    Pretty much addicted to food, to put it lightly. Can't resist it when it's there, eat it all within a short time period, feel like **** afterwards, the process repeats. It's been a difficult struggle with my family (they've had to rid ALL of their tempting snacks... 100 calorie packs, cookies, popsicles, even small things like crackers or cheese) and my friends (I've had to cancel many plans - by choice. I wanted to.) I'm slowly recovering by not having the food that tempts me in the house, and when it is, ignoring it altogether. I even have my siblings hide it from me (sad, I know.) Soon I will slowly start taking small portions, because if I rush into it too fast the disorder will take over again. It sucks, but you gotta do what you gotta do!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time, I was 72 pounds at 4'11", now I am 95 pounds trying to get to 100-104. That's 16 years in the making.....It's not as easy as someone telling you that you have to eat and you have to throw away the scale.
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Still recovering .....:frown:
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I had Bulemia for many years. I have tried to become "anorexic" in an attempt to lose weight. It started in middle school because of the teasing. It finally got better 3 years after high school. It still rears its ugly head now and then though. I knew it was bad for me. There was a part of me that felt like even if it did kill me, it was better than living the hell I was in. I didnt care. I would restrict pretty much all week (eat about 200 calories and run 3 miles) and then on Saturday, I would eat whatever I wanted, but throw up after each meal. Sunday, I would just eat. and eat. and eat. Because it was my "free day". It was about control. I could control SOMETHING....... anything. I had to have some teeth removed in the back when I was 19. I had horrible reflux from where the acid had begun to erode my esophagus. I got help. Shortly after I started dating my boyfriend (27 y/o at the time), I explained to him my situation and my cycles. He asks me what I have for breakfast and lunch almost every day. He encourages me to make good choices and doesnt keep my binge triggers around the house. I still fight it. 10 years later, and I still fight the little voice that says "taco bell sounds good, and a lot of it, i can just throw it up later" or "lets see, I have eaten an apple today, so I better keep dinner really light".
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    In recovery since about Sept 2010. I've been doing well with having a positive outlook on myself, eating, not purging, etc. I've been on every side of the disorder spectrum but mainly it was a restrictive purging bulimia of sorts for 6 or 7 years. I give full credit to my daughter for saving my life :) I concider myself extremely lucky.
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to recover, but I'm a binge eater. I don't like talking about it because I am actually a healthy weight, but I work out. I feel lousy about myself and I wish I could stop. I hate to admit it but at times I have even thought of purging (I haven't and I wont) but it would make things worse.

Everyday I try to improve, it's a work in progress.
  • waterbrghtasdskyy
    Options
    2 years into recovery from bulimia nervosa. some days are harder than others, but they keep getting easier and easier. having my beautiful 6 month old daughter as a reminder of the wonderfulness of my body is helpful, that and running keep me sane. (=

Anyone out there struggling or needing to vent/talk feel free to message me. Remember: recovery is possible!!!

I run a pro-recovery/positive fitness blog @ http://waterbrghtasdsky.tumblr.com/