How do you deal with the fake hungry feelings?

Options

Replies

• anyonebutmehaha
    Options
    I love the know-it-all comments by males about this problem. It's either a) they're too ignorant for their own sake or b) male PMS is a very common medical condition so they can relate.

rofl. i was just thinking sorta same thing.
    in my world it is better to have a bit of chocolate than go on a mass murder spree when it is that TOM. :wink:
  • lessac
    lessac Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    OK, so only someone that has experienced the cravings and/or feelings involved could possibly understand or offer any sort of help? Got it. That is why only addicts can help recovering addicts, for example. :indifferent:

Who told her to "suck it up"?

Addictions, even psychological ones, have a lot to do with the addict's brain chemistry which are again found as a result of scientific studies as undiscovered as they may still be in some ways. Psychology is very much involved in brain chemistry so therapists have knowledge about the cause behind those addictions. So unless you are a psychologist (or had an interest in the subject and did your homework) or someone who went through similar experiences, the help you offer won't go far.

Will we keep on comparing apples and oranges?

No one told her to suck it up literally, I meant the comments which tell her 'not to eat' based on their own hunger experiences. No offense to the posters with such comments of course, I was nagging in general.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    No offense to the posters with such comments of course, I was nagging in general.
    I understand. Oh, wait. Can I? I'm a male. :laugh:
  • lessac
    Options
    I understand. Oh, wait. Can I? I'm a male. :laugh:

Too grumpy for the past two days to take things lightly so I apologize if I sounded like I had any doubts about male intelligence, of which I don't for the record or at least not any more than human intelligence in general.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Man... I wish my craps just felt like I was hungry! Mine are like knives being stabbed into my stomach! LOL.

I usually just drink water. If I have had a glass or two and am still hungry, then I'll have something small. Portion it out on a plate or in a bowl. Don't bring the whole box of cheezits to the couch with you, put some in a bowl. I have the problem when I mindlessly eat out of the box and then suddenly realize that the box is half empty!

Good luck!
  • tkn11
    tkn11 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Not a girl but I have been trying to get into the habit of drinking lots of water when I feel that way.....give it a try!!

Enjoy your holidays!
    Ed

WATER
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    Green Tea. Helps curb the feeling of hunger and is super good. :)
  • darkheart
    darkheart Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    The water thing helps a lot, but another thing that really helps me is if I boil or steam a cup of broccoli and eat it. I usually put spray butter on it, but a drizzle of balsamic vinegar can be good!

The broccoli also helps if I know I'll be eating a really calorie rich meal. I'll eat it before hand as an "appetizer" and I'm so full, I can only eat about a quarter or less of my actual meal! Hope that helps!
  • twilight_princess
    twilight_princess Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I get up and do something. If that don't work I'll either eat some fruit or something small.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Um, by not eating???

If you know you're not actually hungry, then why would you eat? Isn't that (at least in part) what got you to join a site like this in the first place?

As for the hard week and the holidays... we all have rough patches, and we all have temptation. Do the best you can, then do better next week. Most people don't wake up one morning living a totally different lifestyle. It takes work and patience and more work. Buck up, be honest with yourself and don't make excuses.
    Must be nice to be a robot.
    No... but it is nice to not make excuses. Just because I don't PMS doesn't mean I don't have other issues/challenges to deal with. But if I give in, it's on me.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I love the know-it-all comments by males about this problem. It's either a) they're too ignorant for their own sake or b) male PMS is a very common medical condition so they can relate.
    And I love the it's-not-your-fault-you-can't-control-your-cravings comments by the weak minded.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    And I love the it's-not-your-fault-you-can't-control-your-cravings comments by the weak minded.

Wow. Walk a mile, man. You really don't want to start that discussion! Even my husband knows to step away on this subject! :laugh: :drinker:
  • lessac
    Options

Actually it is a it's-normal-to-have-those-cravings-and-feel-overwhelmed comment. I love how you came up with the 'weak minded' based on absolutely zero solid evidence. Heartwarming.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I find when I work out my cramps go away. I started mine this past Saturday, Sunday I was doubled over in pain, so I forced my self up and to work out, and after wards I was cramp free.
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Fake food?

Sorry couldn't help myself.

6921816.png
  • coloradocami
    coloradocami Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    not sure about "fake" hungry...bit if I'm hungry I usually eat something
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options

Actually it is a it's-normal-to-have-those-cravings-and-feel-overwhelmed comment. I love how you came up with the 'weak minded' based on absolutely zero solid evidence. Heartwarming.

Yep. That's how I felt. So heartwarming to know that estrogen and progesterone coursing through my body, causing my blood volume to rise, my body to burn more calories, and my mind to go to a less than reasonable state automatically makes people like me weak minded.

Also, I find it hard to believe that someone who is trying to lose weight has never had a weak moment in his life. Ever. Because he's so perfect. I don't normally find myself getting offended by anyone on the Internet. Maybe it's all the hormones affecting my weak mind.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    When I was trying to lose weight I would just ignore it and remember that I am dieting and I am supposed to feel hungry :)
  • marcianil
    Options
    I have gotten into the habit of drinking at least 10 glasses of water a day and have to say that it makes a huge difference! I could go for days without drinking more than 8-12 ounces a day--not a healthy thing to do at all. My body just never felt "thirsty" and this got me into trouble a couple of times with severe dehydration. Since starting on MFP, I have started drinking water on a daily basis and it makes a real difference in my feelings of hunger and overall well-being. Good luck!
  • jacksonpt
    Options

If you know you're not actually hungry, as the OP said, but still can't keep yourself from eating... sorry, that's weak minded.