p90x without the chinup bar?

Options
I want to look into starting p90x, but I read that you have to use a mini chinup bar. Is it essential to the program to use this or can I make it work without? I just don't think there's anywhere in my apartment to put one.

Replies

• Dccoulter
    Dccoulter Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use a band with an attachment that goes in between a door ... it's not as good as the chin up bar, but I cannot do pull-ups ... no upper body strength. We have a chin up bar and put in in the doorway of the laundry room ...
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    the in door one will not work for you?

You can get it at Walmart or Amazon, it requires no screws, and will not damage your door.

0018683000000_P255045_300X300.jpg

You can use resistance bands to mimic the move, but not quite as good, in my opinion. But will work if thats all you have.

You use a chair or stool, or pull up bands to help you modify the pullups, until you can do them, unassisted. It takes a while, as you need to build all of the upper body and back strength, as well. But eventually, if you keep trying, you will be able to do some.

Also as you loss body weight, they get more do-able. 10 lbs of extra body fat. can make pullups impossible.

There are also modifications, such as Negative Pullups, that help better train you to do a full pullup.

I am just now able to do a few, unassisted, after 4 years. :)
  • gregs887
    Options
    the in door one will not work for you?

You can get it at Walmart or Amazon, it requires no screws, and will not damage your door.

0018683000000_P255045_300X300.jpg

You can use resistance bands to mimic the move, but not quite as good, in my opinion. But will work if thats all you have.
    These work well but make sure your door has enough clearance on each side. The door I put it on has a wall on one side so the bar is a little cockeyed. The grip on the left side is providing the cushion to the door and because it is not thick enough I have gouged out the wood a a little bit on that side.
  • MrsJohnston
    MrsJohnston Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! :)