Whole Egg vs. Egg White

Options
13»

Replies

• catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    59 calories in an egg yolk. 3 grams of protein and 5 grams of fat.

Here we go again....lol
    To get 20 grams of protein, that's 300 calories - absurd for an obese person trying to lose weight.
    Once goal weight is reached, then have this argument, but not when we're all too fat.

Again, save the yokes for when you have reached your goals.1 whole egg to 4 whites does the trick much better, and we all know that. It's just a no brainer for those willing to use their brain.
    yup. Depends on what you want to spend your daily calorie allotment on.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

Here we go again....lol
    To get 20 grams of protein, that's 300 calories - absurd for an obese person trying to lose weight.
    Once goal weight is reached, then have this argument, but not when we're all too fat.

Again, save the yokes for when you have reached your goals.1 whole egg to 4 whites does the trick much better, and we all know that. It's just a no brainer for those willing to use their brain.

I think you don't read all of my posts. I have said previously in many posts that when I need extra protein I toss yolks. But I don't do this because I think the yolks are inherently bad or because as you have stated in a previous thread that "no healthy diet will include egg yolks" I toss yolks when I don't have the fat and calories to spare on them. I think you should take the time to read sir.
  • skateboardstef
    skateboardstef Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I always eat the whole egg. The yolk is actually my favorite part! I don't eat more than three eggs in one day, my average is usually about one. My husband will not eat the yolk because he doesn't like the taste, so whenever he has a hard boiled egg he saves the yolk for me :) And I always eat ORGANIC eggs!

Yolks can be fattening, but fat doesn't have to be the enemy. I've increased my fat intake (eating more eggs, whole milk, cheeses) and I can notice the difference in my skin and the way I feel, and I haven't gained any weight! I do agree that if you are trying to lose weight you shouldn't go overboard with the eggs though.

It's really just a personal choice.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Whole egg.

Dietary fat is good for you as are all the other goodies in the yolk.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't eat eggs very often (I don't like them THAT much), but when I do I tend to split it - half whole eggs and half egg whites. I used to only eat whole eggs, but once I started mixing it with egg whites - I realized it was a) easier on my sensitive tummy and b) just tasted better to me.

So. There's my choice -- both. lol.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Here we go again....lol

20g pro for 300kcal is not absurd by any means.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

Here we go again....lol

Hm. I don't think 20g of protein for 300 calories is absurd. And quite honestly.. it is up to the individual person if they want to spend 300 of their daily calories on eggs. To each their own. I spent 300 calories on shortbread cookies while watching a movie last night. I don't think it should matter what OTHER PEOPLE choose to spend their calories on. We should all focus on our own goals and not worry so much about other people.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I used to do just the whites, but then found that the majority of B vitamins come from the yolk and I was taking a B supplement and realized maybe I should just get more B vitamins from whole food sources so that's what I do now. Occasionally I may do 2-3 whole eggs or 3 egg whites and 1 whole egg. Depends on how I feel and how busy my day is going to be.
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    Generally, when people say something is bad for you without saying anything to back it up, I dont take their word for it or anything
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Egg whites are great for meringues but in a meal...I'd have yolks over egg white any day :tongue:
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Here we go again....lol

Seriously? You're really implying that anyone who eats yolks isn't using their brain?

Guess what: binary thinking is simplistic and idiotic. Context matters. It's not at all difficult to hit calorie and protein goals while incorporating whole eggs. Anyone with a brain can figure out how.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Normally you can't take 2 foods and compare which one is better. Like the post above says, it depends on context. There are infinite different ways to hit your daily targets. I've had phases where I ate nothing but egg whites for breakfast and phases where I always ate whole eggs. Neither one was "better". Both had their place in getting me to my calorie and macro targets at the given time.
  • jecka31
    jecka31 Posts: 284
    Options
    Wow! Did not intend to start such a debate!!
  • You'll get a thousand different opinions on it, best thing you can do is to do your research & make your own decision on what you think is best for you.

I agree! There are pros and cons to both. Everything in moderation.
  • Here's a great article on Whole Egg vs. Egg White - it has a nutrient chart that shows the nutritional differences between the two.

http://www.eggnutritioncenter.org/blog/2011/01/25/whole-eggs-vs-egg-whites/
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I love whole eggs. Not a darn thing wrong with them either. Just eat them in moderation just like everything else.

I can't stand eating egg whites in omelettes or pretty much anything else. I hate the taste (or lack thereof).
  • jecka31
    jecka31 Posts: 284
    Options
    Here's a great article on Whole Egg vs. Egg White - it has a nutrient chart that shows the nutritional differences between the two.

http://www.eggnutritioncenter.org/blog/2011/01/25/whole-eggs-vs-egg-whites/

Thanks!! This is very helpful! I've switched to whole eggs on days I'm not eating red meat and a mix of three whites to one whole on the days I do eat red meat; strictly to watch my fat intake. I asked my doc (since I have high blood pressure and borderline high cholesterol thanks to genetics) and she told me that I shouldn't be scared of the yolk as the fats I do get from them are good fats that I want to consume.
  • BrilliantLove
    BrilliantLove Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i don't see anything wrong with eating whole eggs- i used to eat them more often and my doctor would say my cholesterol was better than his. perhaps it depends on the person.

i only eat egg whites to save calories.