How many pounds are you trying to lose a week?

Options

Replies

• PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Mine is st to lose 1 lb a week - last year I kept it at 2lbs a week for a few months (Sept - Dec1). I tend to switch between 1 and 2 lbs a week depending on what is going on in my life (1 lb a week during holiday vacation - 2 lbs a week during reg life). My goal this year is to lose 52 lbs :)!
  • MariaAlbinaxoxo
    MariaAlbinaxoxo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to 1/2lbs/week. I'm really just concerned with toning and losing inches and I only have 10lbs to lose by June anyway so I should easily make it.
  • Kellllog
    Kellllog Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Mines set to 2.2lbs a week - and 1500calories a day.
  • 2011_4mygirls
    2011_4mygirls Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    2 pounds per week
  • tcpowell25
    Options
    I'm set at .5 a week but I'm actually losing BF% faster than the pounds shed. This doesn't make sense to me, but whatever makes me look leaner and feel better wins overall. I was set to lose 2 pounds a week at 1200 calories and I was working out 5 days a week cardio with 3 days adding in strength training. I wasn't losing anything with that number, so I moved it down to .5 with the same workout schedule and now I'm seeing the scale move and BF%.
  • wildestian
    wildestian Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Mine is set to 0.7 lbs per week, 1200 cals and I usually lose 0.5 lbs per week, but not this last two weeks :S dang! holidays!
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I see this soo much!! What is it with so many girls setting their cals at the magic 1200 number???? I am set at 1 lb a week (I actually changed this from 2 lbs) and I broke through my plateau! You need to have a caloric deficit but you also have to feed your body too!
  • Hola723
    Hola723 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Mine will be 2lbs. a week until the day I hit my goal weight. I find that when I make good choices it is easy to stay within my calorie goal and feel full and satisfied. Changing my pounds/week and giving myself more calories would only entice me to make poor choices.

12397607.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Isrn2
    Isrn2 Posts: 160
    Options
    1 pound per week. I've actually lost a bit more than that, but I figure anything over 1 pound is just bonus.

One recommendation ... eat what MFP suggests!! Dropping your calories below the recommended goal will help you lost weight faster, but you'll probably plateau faster as well. Plus you need the chance to gradually ease into what your maintenance calories will eventually be. It's so much easier to reset your calorie goals every 10 pounds (as MFP does automatically) than it is to try to cut 1000 additional calories out of your diet overnight.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Mine is set at basically 3/4 lb. per week, as I calculated my daily goal based on my maintenance calories minus 20% instead of going with the MFP recommendation which was only about 1320 calories. This gives me 1412 calories and I enjoy every single one of them. You have to eat well to lose. Starving ourselves does not work. Trust me, over the summer I foolishly tried doing 2 pounds per week and was at 1200 calories per day, I was also running a lot and eating those calories back, but I started to feel sluggish and stupid and cranky until I upped my calories again. I honestly didn't see any increase in my weight loss when I was at the lower number of calories at all. I find that when I stick close to my 1412 calories daily I see a steady loss!
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I eat 1500 a day.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    My projected goal says 0.7lbs/week and a base of 1400cals before exercise

However my personal goals are slower than that.
    You want to take it slowly. Eat and not deprive yourself b/c you're going to head straight for a binge. I have to back off of sweets (except fruit) from time to time b/c I have a problem with moderation sometimes. I understand the binging, believe me. Just recently I felt myself heading for one due to stress and I went in the bathroom, locked the door and started counting and listing in my head all the reasons I did NOT want to go to the kitchen and start shoving my face.
    I reminded myself of how far I've come and that I've resisted before, I can do it again.
    I am in control of myself and my cravings, not the other way around.

Couple suggestions, if you're not feeling satisified. Lower your goal to 0.5lbs/week or 1lb/week. The weight loss will get harder the more weight you lose. Increase your cals. Go to the BMR calculator and see what that says your base should be. Then eat back HALF of your exercise cals.
    Maybe you should also check out a multivitamin?
    Sometimes that hunger you feel is because your body isn't getting enough of something
    Keep your water intake up (I didn't look at your diary so I don't know what you're eating/drinking or if it's even public) A lot of the time, dehydration is mistaken as hunger.

Best of luck to you and your goals
  • elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    mine is set to 1/2 pound a week, and it gives me 1700. I eat a minimum of 2300-2400 on a good exercise day, and I'm losing about half a pound every two or so weeks...which I am fine with because I'm dropping inches like crazy. =)

And I totally agree with what the poster above me wrote!
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Mine is set at basically 3/4 lb. per week, as I calculated my daily goal based on my maintenance calories minus 20% instead of going with the MFP recommendation which was only about 1320 calories. This gives me 1412 calories and I enjoy every single one of them. You have to eat well to lose. Starving ourselves does not work. Trust me, over the summer I foolishly tried doing 2 pounds per week and was at 1200 calories per day, I was also running a lot and eating those calories back, but I started to feel sluggish and stupid and cranky until I upped my calories again. I honestly didn't see any increase in my weight loss when I was at the lower number of calories at all. I find that when I stick close to my 1412 calories daily I see a steady loss!

I like this a lot!

1200 worked for me AT FIRST....now I can't go back! LOL I stay around the same cals as well
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    When I started and had over 100 pounds to lose, my goals were set to 2 lbs/week and I had an allowance of around 1500 calories/day I think, although that number did go down as my weight decreased.
    As I got closer to a healthy weight, I changed my goals and increased my calories.
    The lowest I've ever been on was around 1300 and, now that I'm maintaining, I typically eat a range of 1800-2000 calories/day before exercise.

I didn't have a big problem with feeling like I was starving, but I've always tried to get as big of a "nutritional bang" out of my "caloric buck" as possible, so I avoided a lot of the heavily processed foods, frozen meals, "diet" foods, etc. and ate real, wholesome food.

You can actually eat a lot of food - whether you are on 1200 calories or 2000 calories - but that means eating real food, which takes some effort in the beginning. Stock up on fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, lean proteins, healthy fats, etc. and you might be surprised at how much you can actually eat within your calorie allowance.
  • MissSharkattack
    MissSharkattack Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    1.5lbs a week @ net 1600 cals a day.
  • FuzzieJelly
    FuzzieJelly Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    My goal range is between .05 to 1 pound per week.:flowerforyou:
  • mlbazemore
    mlbazemore Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm set at 2lbs per week which allows for 1200 calories a day before exercise, which I haven't been getting lately.
  • BrilliantLove
    BrilliantLove Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    1 or 2 pounds per week. i think my mfp goal is set at 2lbs per week (feeling ambitious)
  • oma5
    oma5 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    1/2 lb. per week. It took me about 15 years to gain 50 lbs. so I figure I should loose it slowly that way I would be able to maintain the loss. So far have lost 20 lbs since last summer. But for me it's do able and I don't mind the slow loss. I still enjoy treats, eating at restaurants and special occasions and holidays. Had a great Christmas indulged in some treats and stayed the same. Am very happy with that and know that I can do it.