easy healthy way to make chicken breast

Options
I always marinate my chicken in mayo and bake it w veggies,
CAn you guys give me a few tips on how to make it healthier? What I can marinate it in? I wish I had a grill, i would grill them..
THANks

Replies

• kducky22
    kducky22 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Ooo I marinate almost any kind of meat in a low fat stir fry sauce. I'm assuming the stats are way better than mayo, plus you get loads more flavor!

I'd just go to the aisle in the supermarket with asian/mexican food and go crazy. I find the best flavors in that aisle!
  • shawndella
    shawndella Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use skim milk. It makes the chicken so tender! Or you could use a fat-free chicken broth, or even fat-free italian dressing if you want a little more flavor.
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have done chicken with a bit of honey as a glaze, balsamic vinegar, with lime, covered in italian bread crumbs... really it depends on what you want to have it with.
  • sallyspan
    sallyspan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I marinate in low fat italian dressing or a mixture of red wine vineager, canola oil, and spices. Another way to add flavor to chicken is to slowly boil balsamic vinegar until it turns into a thick glaze - the sweetness really comes out that way!
  • swekmom
    swekmom Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    We use our George Foreman Grill all the time!! It is quick and easy to use year round.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I use Ken's Buffalo wing sauce and marinade... I cook long and low in the oven. This is especially good on turkey thighs... I don't like dark meat but you cook long and low with buffalo wing sauce and it is FANtastic! YuM!

Also, you might like to try just mixing worcesteshire sauce and soy sauce and A1 sauce mixed together -- add a little garlic and pepper and pour it over the meat. Again, YUM!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    It depends, what you're trying to accomplish. If you're after low fat, high protein simply trim excess fat and bake it. If you're trying to get a more balanced meal out of it specifically, butterfly the breasts, hammer them slightly to flatten and then you can add in some sausage (fat/protein), vegetables/rice (carbs) or cheese (fat) and then close / tie them shut before baking to make a custom meal to fit your macros for the day.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I put it in the crockpot with a little water and a packet of italian dressing mix.
  • blueandigo
    Options
    Throw it in a pot and let it boil.

No seasoning at all.
  • hdlb123
    hdlb123 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    We eat tons of chicken. We bake it in the oven with bbq sauce, homemade teriyaki (sp?) sauce, sometimes just with salt and pepper for the kids, we made our own chicken nuggets - cubed breast with bread crumbs, corn flake crumbs or panko, We cook it in a non stick pan on the stove with salt and pepper, or stir fry style with teriyaki sauce. We cook it at a low heat and generally we don't need oil in the pan.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

No seasoning at all.

YUCK what a waste
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    It depends. I have an award winning (really!) Chicken sandwich recipe where I marinate it in Taquila and some other stuff. Let me look it up. I don't know calorie count but let me see if I can find it.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    my favorite recently is to cut up the chicken in large chunks and make kebabs with chunks of mushrooms, green & red peppers and red onion. brush on a bit of olive oil, shake on some garlic powder and then add teriyaki sauce. Broil until the chicken & veggies start to brown, then flip the kebabs and broil until done.

I usually use 3 of the big grocery store sized breasts, 1 red bell pepper, 1 green bell pepper and 1 red onion. Makes 6 large kebabs at under 200 calories each!

I serve with brown rice with pineapple & green onions.

another great recipe:
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/cider-glazed-chicken-with-browned-butter-pecan-rice-10000002012819/
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Green Pepper Chicken

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    2 green peppers, chopped
    1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce

Place the chicken and peppers in a pan and pour the soy sauce over it. Cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Sometimes I substitute an onion for one of the peppers or add some pineapple. I almost always serve it over brown rice.
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I like marinated in lemon and seasoned with pepper. Also baked with fresh basil and balsamic vinegar. Yum!!
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options

No seasoning at all.

Ooof! I think I just threw up a little....
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Italian dressing.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    I use Ken's Buffalo wing sauce and marinade... I cook long and low in the oven. This is especially good on turkey thighs... I don't like dark meat but you cook long and low with buffalo wing sauce and it is FANtastic! YuM!

Yum!! I'll have to try this one!
  • suzikay
    Options
    Yes, I second lemon or lime juice as a marinade.

Poached in water with fresh green or dried herbs to taste (tarragon or thyme, for example) is about the healthiest way to cook chicken - about 10-20 minutes according to size. You get a lovely moist meat. Very good with salad, and if you want a few small new potatoes as well these can go in the same water.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I always marinate my chicken in mayo and bake it w veggies,
    CAn you guys give me a few tips on how to make it healthier? What I can marinate it in? I wish I had a grill, i would grill them..
    THANks

WOW, mayo...that's a good way to turn a "healthy thing" bad quick. I use garlic powder, black pepper and a pinch of salt always; sometimes thyme or Italian seasoning, sometimes paprika, or even chili powder. Be careful of stuff with HIGH Sodium content