I'm so cheap that I....

Options
What do you do to save money?

Latest one as of ~1 hour ago....I bought "big kids" asics because they're cheaper than the women's version. haha.

Replies

• jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I haven't bought my own socks in years- I just use hubby's.

I make my own laundry soap by the five-gallon bucket.

I never drive anywhere for just one thing- always plan ahead and combine trips. But I will drive an extra six miles to a certain gas station where gas is consistently 10 cents per gallon cheaper. :laugh:
  • mankan510
    Options
    IF SOMETHING BREAKS I PULL OUT THE DUCK TAPE,

IF SOMETHING RIPS, I SEW IT

IF THE CHOCOLATE HAS MELTED ONTO THE WRAPPER, I SWEAR I WILL STICK THE WHOLE WRAPPER IN MY MOUTH FOR A WHILE

I GET MY MUSIC OFF YOUTUBE CONVERTER - F** PAYING ITUNES
  • Renea_Kay
    Renea_Kay Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    im out of toothpaste so i just steal some from my sister
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    It's like underwear you can wear 4 days in a row {flap forward, flap back, turn inside out repeat}.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    IF SOMETHING BREAKS I PULL OUT THE DUCK TAPE,

IF SOMETHING RIPS, I SEW IT

IF THE CHOCOLATE HAS MELTED ONTO THE WRAPPER, I SWEAR I WILL STICK THE WHOLE WRAPPER IN MY MOUTH FOR A WHILE

I GET MY MUSIC OFF YOUTUBE CONVERTER - F** PAYING ITUNES
    ditto.
  • bonnt
    bonnt Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Could be like Gary Shirley from Teen Mom and try clear wrap..... Hilarious.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I haven't bought my own socks in years- I just use hubby's.

I make my own laundry soap by the five-gallon bucket.

I never drive anywhere for just one thing- always plan ahead and combine trips. But I will drive an extra six miles to a certain gas station where gas is consistently 10 cents per gallon cheaper. :laugh:

and that's a waste of time and money. you save what, $1? lol
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    coupons!!! and price matching, after holiday sales for the next year <bows, tags, cookie gift bags, wrapping paper, easter eggs, baskets, etc.>
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    Could be like Gary Shirley from Teen Mom and try clear wrap..... Hilarious.

That guys is a freakin' genius. lmao
  • brendabuckeye
    brendabuckeye Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I limit my trips to town as much as possible. I also cook at home constantly and pack my lunches. By the way, my mom calls it "thrifty" not cheap, but, yeah, she's cheap. :p
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I try to find coupons for everything I can, especially when ordering online. Retailmenot.com if my fave! I rent textbooks instead of buy, or buy online and sell back online. I buy clearance items or used clothes on ebay. I frequent Ross or the internet to find things cheaper. I always find ways to cut corners. I'm a student, I grew up poor, so my mom taught me well and I learned a lot of my own tricks too. I can't afford to pay full price for much these days!
  • MissingPixies
    MissingPixies Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Ways I save money:

- I make my own shampoo and conditioner, along with making my own laundry detergent. It's a whole lot cheaper and last longer, plus works just as well if not better than name brand stuff
    - With certain things I go generic, it's the same thing (sometimes cheaper)... but for certain things I will go name brand/ or if the generic is more than the name brand.
    - For clothes I shop thrift stores.... you get like new things for way cheap... I don't buy used underwear :sick: I buy those at wal-mart or target, also socks as well
    - I did cloth diaper my daughter, she is getting into potty training now (that saved hundreds to thousands)
    - I save all my change, it adds up later on
    - I walk to places if it's not too far, good thing the grocery store is just down the street
  • snowfox92
    snowfox92 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I chase after the garbage truck with a grocery list lol
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Coupons, bulk buying and only buying in season. Manager's specials and day old markdowns, the clearance rack is my friend (with coupons). I love Farmer's Markets (go on the last day at the end of day and haggle).

Clothing furniture etc, reuse reuse reuse ... you can call it living green. I rare to never buy new. My house is full of antiques I found at thrift stores (you need to have an eye for this). The thrift stores here are really good, so the name brand clothing still has the tags on them. I boughts a $300 coat for $14 tags still on for instance. I have good china to eat off of, and henckle knives (retail value about $490, I paid $20), etc

I reuse what I can, aluminum foil, good baggies, but mostly use tupperware I bought from ... you guessed it. I also love yard sale season, and have been know to use lines to dry clothing. The more money I don't spend un-necessarily = more money in my bank account for a rainy day. I hold on to money and hate, hate , hate to give it up unless I love an item. :smile:
  • loved1
    loved1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thrift store shopping but only on 50% off days.

Most purchases are comparison shopped online before entering the store.

Couponing. . . definitely couponing.
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I'm so cheap that when I go downtown (if you're from San Fran, you know driving is a pain) I don't spend the $2 on the bus. I just walk/run, funny because I get to my destination the same time the bus comes.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Coupons, bulk buying and only buying in season. Manager's specials and day old markdowns, the clearance rack is my friend (with coupons). I love Farmer's Markets (go on the last day at the end of day and haggle).

Clothing furniture etc, reuse reuse reuse ... you can call it living green. I rare to never buy new. My house is full of antiques I found at thrift stores (you need to have an eye for this). The thrift stores here are really good, so the name brand clothing still has the tags on them. I boughts a $300 coat for $14 tags still on for instance. I have good china to eat off of, and henckle knives (retail value about $490, I paid $20), etc

I reuse what I can, aluminum foil, good baggies, but mostly use tupperware I bought from ... you guessed it. I also love yard sale season, and have been know to use lines to dry clothing. The more money I don't spend un-necessarily = more money in my bank account for a rainy day. I hold on to money and hate, hate , hate to give it up unless I love an item. :smile:

Proof that you can't judge a book by it's cover. I honestly would not have that you were such a recycler/thrifter.
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Proof that you can't judge a book by it's cover. I honestly would not have that you were such a recycler/thrifter.

:blushing:

I meant to add I use freecycle as well.
  • beatleschic87
    beatleschic87 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Can't afford to pay attention
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I went to buy a cover for my ice pack and it was 6 bux. On the other side of the isle was a package of tube sox. I got 12 ice pack covers for the same price :laugh:

They are the perfect thickness, and you can hold them just so for your back, neck, knee, shoulder.........oy, I have GOT to stop exercising it is killing me:sick: